Iain0 - Funny Tagline Here

Discuss policies and candidacies with the potential Headmins.
Forum rules
Post a thread if you want to be a candidate. Must not be permabanned from the game servers or blacklisted.

Reply to a thread to interact with headmin candidates. Rules

Do not spam the same question in multiple threads, use the debate subforum for that.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Iain0 - Funny Tagline Here

Post by iain0 » #649780

Hi, I'm Iain0, aka Bob Stange, joined mid 2019, admin Q2 2021, consistently active since, 99% on Terry. In total have a few thousand hours in this game with a fairly even split between playing and admin.

My platform is quite neutral, I like where we've reached in a lot of places and don't expect a lot of things to change much. Terry being my home is, I think, largely in a good place for LRP, though needs some periodic kicks to keep it on the rails.

The large majority of the headmin job seems to revolve around policy, appeals, paperwork and managing admins, having done a large number of tickets on Terry I'm quite used to situations with players and the game that come up, I believe I handle the tickets reasonably and rationally, taking as much information as I can get, and achieve the right results. I've had a few appeals (see here) with one where I revised my position and the rest upheld where appropriate, even on headmin escalation.

At the end of the day, you're electing a decision maker, who will influence all of these aspects that touch on game play, so in my opinion the best to elect is someone whose decisions and opinions you most agree with, as that will then trickle down.

To that end, above and beyond any experience you may have had with my decision making as an admin thus far (and appeals above), I'm going to give my thoughts on a few current topics below, but am also generally an open minded person who likes to get different takes or sources of information and try blend it together to find whats best, and importantly a why.

MRP: MRP is the 'truer' form of the game, played out more like real life, including some limitations. Tots focus on their objectives, people 'stay in lane' and so on. I'm somewhat in favour of tots getting freedom once they do all their objectives, but on the whole I don't play MRP or admin it particularly so I'm unlikely to initiate any changes here, simply this sort of thinking will be how I receive ideas.

LRP: LRP is a much more gamey take, and plays out a little silly. Everyone is amazing at everything, like a Star Trek Captain (heh), and on LRP you wont get admin boinked for that. There's a lot more autonomy to play out your own personal story rather than being the cog in the round. Rule 12 and powergaming needs some good precedent setting appeals, but not much can be done to force those. If you're going to be armed, only be armed to a level appropriate to the known threats. You're administratively free to tide, but IC people might throw you out or call sec. As long as you don't notably damage/kill or derail someone's round, admins probably wont get involved. And that's kinda the spirit of LRP anyway, that right to kill/derail is the essence of antags freedom under rule 4, so just avoid that and you're relatively (to MRP) free.

Silicons: I like some of the direction to try unbind silicons a little, particularly stuff like purged (rarely seen). Having them not inherently aligned but more obsessed with their laws and otherwise 'free' has always felt like the direction they were intended to be, however silicons just being obnoxious shitters for the sake of it can fall under general rule 1 still.

Community: I think we've progressed in the last few years, and are a better place for it. I think throwaway one line comments at levels like player/coder/admin tribalism, or cross server tribalism, are generally okay if not made extreme, if stuff devolves into extended fighting over these things then they should get intervened / shut down with repercussions if people still wont stop when asked. Admins should generally have higher standards than players, and absolutely should when operating in an official capacity.

Mentors: Initially sounds reasonable ; players who dont want full admins responsibility getting to help others? The ammount of back end work however really weighs it down, given it's basically a mirror of recruiting/managing admins, with less buttons to explain. I'm not sold that it's worth the overhead, and generally Q+A ahelps aren't that hard to answer. Also happy to throw ghosts into floorbots to talk people through things. It's also a bit weird outside the ss13 community to have two help channels, and enough people struggle with the "urgent help" concept so.... not sold, but close to the fence, I just don't think it sells enough net benefit.

Just some initial takes on things to roughly round out where I am. I think we've reached a good place generally though there will always be rough edges to polish, and otherwise hope to carry the way I percieve things should be with me into the heart of administration.
Riggle
Byond Username: Riggle

Re: Iain0 - Funny Tagline Here

Post by Riggle » #650043

Iain is an extremely consistent admin and I have full faith in their admin abilities. I think they would make a great headmin as well.
Yet another catmin. At least not a pink one.

Very cool link
Waltermeldron
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: WalterMeldron

Post by Waltermeldron » #650601

I will be putting Iain0 as my first choice as they are a very, very reliable terrymin. I have full faith that they will be a very successful headmin. They're a solid choice as a representing terrymin headmin.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #650643

This is your 8 day checkup.

You are the only candidate who answered all of the most serious debate questions (in my opinion, anyway). I'm very happy to see it and you have given me more trust in your ability to hold the position competently. Definitely placing high just for that, best of luck to you.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Mooshimi
Byond Username: Mooshimi

Post by Mooshimi » #650824

Just relevant info being posted on all head candidate threads:
(Not trying to make anyone look good or bad.)
Attachments
iain0playtimescrubby
iain0playtimescrubby
kieth4
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #650846

I would just like to say that Ian is insanely active as an administrator but this isn't purely quantity, this is QUALITY. Put this man high.
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #650892

Iain is so active its scary, thus they're really in touch with the community and good at being relevant, the only reason to not put them high in votes is because if being headmin burns them out then we'd lose the majority of the terry administration
Domitius
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #651060

Iain is a dark horse in this race and would make a phenomenal headmin if given the chance. Godspeed bud, you're making this election a lot more interesting!
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #651322

Big thanks to everyone who gave their kind words along the way, and all the votes that showed faith and confidence in my abilities.

I stood with zero actual publicity and a fairly unexciting platform, mostly just offering up my approach and skills, and despite that, knowing full well how key publicity can be (but still not wanting to play that game), I outperformed my initial expectations when I filed my candidate application, and that's been a pleasant conclusion.

All in all I'm still glad I stood regardless of the results, I found the process overall helped focus me on a few things particularly around the candidate questions, and I think I overall benefitted from this experience.

Thanks again, and may be back here in just under 6 months :)
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #651324

Make this man hostvote
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?