Tips for automating metal hydrogen? And how do I reach 50k on open turf burns

General SS13 Chat
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Tips for automating metal hydrogen? And how do I reach 50k on open turf burns

Post by EmpressMaia » #654423

What open turf burn mix hits 50,000 kelvin?

I'm trying to automate metal hydrogen production and I can't get 50,000 kelvin, the max I've gotten is around 20,000.

I know you can easily hit 50k with cans but that's Boring and I want it to be fully automated
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Tjatpbnj

Re: Tips for automating metal hydrogen? And how do I reach 50k on open turf burns

Post by tjatpbnj » #654842

You can't get above 20000K with a plasmafire. Or at least, it's more difficult.

Open turfs radiate their heat to space constantly, making it difficult to keep them hot.
look in the spanner box got no thing in there cant do go sailing in em
EmpressMaia

Re: Tips for automating metal hydrogen? And how do I reach 50k on open turf burns

Post by EmpressMaia » #654856

tjatpbnj wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:50 pm You can't get above 20000K with a plasmafire. Or at least, it's more difficult.

Open turfs radiate their heat to space constantly, making it difficult to keep them hot.
Why are you ingame perma banned?
tjatpbnj
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Tjatpbnj

Post by tjatpbnj » #654937

EmpressMaia wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:28 pm
tjatpbnj wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:50 pm You can't get above 20000K with a plasmafire. Or at least, it's more difficult.

Why are you ingame perma banned?
Repeatedly harassing a player despite a long, long, LONG talk telling them to respect their boundaries. Unresponsive to administrative action. Griefed during the Winter Ball despite multiple announcements warning against such behavior. Recent warning from Shaps, stating that punishments will escalate. Overall childish behavior

Sounds bad :shock:
look in the spanner box got no thing in there cant do go sailing in em
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Post by Turbonerd » #655606

Reinforced floors have a heat capacity of 1e30 or 1e31, and conduct some of the heat, constantly cooling the fire. Burning plasma in pipes or canisters won't lose the heat to the floor, and can reach around 100,000 Kelvin (about the temperature of a completed stoichiometric plasma burn), or even higher if you are constantly putting more in. The disadvantage of this is that it's harder to get a lot of gas in pipes, especially at those temperatures with high pressures. Vents on scrubbing don't have a pressure limit though, but that's kinda cheesy and I don't think it's intended.

Operating a HFR is a cheaper way to get that heat, though more expensive in power. The core of the HFR has a node that exchanges heat with the gases in it and the internal fusion gas.

I don't recommend doing open turf combustion for automated metal hydrogen production, as at best you will get around 50,000-60,000 Kelvin (instances of people getting far higher temperatures was due to superconduction being broken in the past), and might lead to poor quality metal hydrogen, which consumes more hydrogen and BZ.

That said, it is possible to create a tritium farm inside pipes with the vents in scrubbing contraption, let the tritium combust to create H2O (you can filter tritium if you want to collect it, but most of it combusts anyways so the impact won't be very noticeable), filter H2O into an open turf and cool it (or fill it in a pipenet with cooled plasma), and use the heat of the combustion for the crystallizer. It could reach over 100,000 Kelvin if done right, and allow you to make a fully automatic masterwork metal hydrogen farm.
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #655658

:D fuck yeah I'm gonna try that