[Riggle] Zendayasbf - Permanent Ban Appeal

Appeals which have been closed.
Zendayasbf
Byond Username: Zendayasbf

[Riggle] Zendayasbf - Permanent Ban Appeal

Post by Zendayasbf » #656465

BYOND account: ZendayasBf
Character name: Tyrone Biggums
Ban type: For racism supposedly even though I am black in real life and have my instagram and face linked to my discord.
Ban length: Permanent
Ban reason: Rule 11: played a racist depiction of a black man with poor history. You've been a nuisance on the Discord. You only pick extremely stereotypical names. You're not fooling anyone.
Time ban was placed: 2022-11-14 23:10:03
Round ID in which ban was placed: 194349
Your side of the story: The admins told me to initially change my name from Afroman to something else despite me having this name for 2 weeks and nobody complaining and my name before that was Michael Thompson something the admins fail to realize or notice.
So I change it because that's no big deal and then I get another message and somebody named Riggie asks me why do I have that name and appearance.
I said because I am black in real life and that Tyrone Biggums isn't a stereotypical name because it's a joke from the Chappelle Show a show I frequently watched as a kid and teenager
so I thought it would be fine to have that as my name. I also have had an Afro in real life and that's another reason why I chose that character.
I have been called racial remarks several times in game and have not complained once. I have seen admins handle transphobic situations but not a single time have you guys attempted
to stop racism. I did not complain at all. I am however today complaining because this is harassment why should I get a permanent ban when I have said nothing bigoted to nobody.
I have been minding my business and have been just playing the game. I can see how this MAY come off as me possibly being a racist white guy in real life but I legitimately mean no harm.
I initially got banned from the discord because I got into a disagreement with a regular member. A moderator told me to chill and stop but I didn't notice the moderation role because the chat was going too fast.
I accepted this discord ban because I barely use discord anyways and I didn't attempt to appeal.
I honestly think all of this is unnecessary because I've been called the N word in game black as night and a ton of other racial insults.
You advertise that you don't allow bigotry but then get on my ass for a name that is a meme name like Patrick Bateman (I have seen this in game as well) and is a TV show reference.
What you also didn't mention is is I have had the name Michael Thompson before for over nearly most of my play hours and only recently changed my name to Afroman and Tyrone Biggums.
If I had no intentions of seriously playing why would I have the name Michael Thompson so that's another thing that doesn't make sense.
I also feel like you are being biased and racist yourselves for assuming that it was stereotypical in nature especially when you are not African American yourself.
I live in an inner city community in real life and I have an "urban" name myself in real life (which I will not name drop because I will not doxx myself because to me it's not that deep)
You also are trying to hold against me my history in the discord for something that happened in the game. I accepted my discord ban but this shouldn't be held against me in game especially when once again I had little to no warnings for the time I was playing.
I doubt I will get unbanned because I highly doubt any of you are even going to believe my story I feel like partially some of the admins are subconsciously or maybe consciously racist themselves towards black people because they allowed a lot of shit to slide that was blatant racism and N bombs but it was worth a shot anyways to appeal I guess. If I don't get unbanned I at least enjoyed my time in the server and once again
I have never said anything bigoted in the game or racist outside of calling somebody "a white boy" because they called me a blackie and black as night.
Anytime I have said anything bigoted it was because I was racially attacked for a character I am playing as.
Even when I had the name Michael Thompson I was racially attacked.
I said NOTHING and partially because I knew you guys wouldn't do anything if I did.
Anything else we should know:
I have little to no warnings on my account and haven't been causing any ruckus and have been genuinely playing the game for over 80 hours so hopefully they take this into account.
I also had my discord PFP as my face when I was in the discord server because I KNOW that playing as a black man in the game may come off as a racist stereotype but it isn't.
Especially when initially my name was Michael Thompson.
I saw names like Patrick Bateman in the game and assumed it would be fine to name myself after a TV show character but clearly that is not the case however another racist thing is I can't name myself after another African American male in a TV show but it's fine if it's a white mans name in the game.
You automatically assume that the people playing this game are all white and this is also not the case or at least it comes off that way.
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Re: [Riggle] Zendayasbf - Permanent Ban Appeal

Post by Riggle » #656480

Hiya, thanks for appealing!

Full ticket for reference:
► Show Spoiler
Let's go over your points one by one.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm The admins told me to initially change my name from Afroman to something else despite me having this name for 2 weeks and nobody complaining and my name before that was Michael Thompson something the admins fail to realize or notice.
So I change it because that's no big deal and then I get another message and somebody named Riggie asks me why do I have that name and appearance.
Michael Thompson is a perfectly fine name as far as I see. Afro Man isn't. We're not omnipresent and just because you had a bad name for weeks doesn't mean anything.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I said because I am black in real life [...]
How is that related to anything? Or do you want me to treat you differently because you're black? I thought that was the definition of racial descrimination.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm [...] and that Tyrone Biggums isn't a stereotypical name because it's a joke from the Chappelle Show a show I frequently watched as a kid and teenager so I thought it would be fine to have that as my name.
Still a reference from a show
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I also have had an Afro in real life and that's another reason why I chose that character.
Thank you for sharing this vital information, this will surely help us with the appeal.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I have been called racial remarks several times in game and have not complained once.
Why did you not speak up? Again, admins are not omnipresent. We're human, we can miss things. Ahelping is the best way of alerting us to an issue. There's also no way of you knowing that the person didn't actually get punished. They probably were.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I have seen admins handle transphobic situations but not a single time have you guys attempted to stop racism.
Source?
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I am however today complaining because this is harassment why should I get a permanent ban when I have said nothing bigoted to nobody.
Racism can apparently only be spoken
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I initially got banned from the discord because I got into a disagreement with a regular member. A moderator told me to chill and stop but I didn't notice the moderation role because the chat was going too fast. I accepted this discord ban because I barely use discord anyways and I didn't attempt to appeal.
You got into a disagreement? You mean you kept being a dick towards someone? The ban reason was "Fresh account starting fights in various channels and refusing to stop when asked. Appeal on the forums when you're capable of interacting with the community in a normal fashion."
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I accepted this discord ban because I barely use discord anyways and I didn't attempt to appeal.
I didn't know ban evading a few days after your ban was accepting said ban
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I honestly think all of this is unnecessary because I've been called the N word in game black as night and a ton of other racial insults.
How can you be sure those people weren't banned? If they weren't please provide the round IDs so we can ban them.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm You advertise that you don't allow bigotry but then get on my ass for a name that is a meme name like Patrick Bateman (I have seen this in game as well) and is a TV show reference.
I can assure you we don't allow that name or any other blatant reference to a show. They may slip under our noses sometimes, which is why you think we do.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm What you also didn't mention is is I have had the name Michael Thompson before for over nearly most of my play hours and only recently changed my name to Afroman and Tyrone Biggums.
If I had no intentions of seriously playing why would I have the name Michael Thompson so that's another thing that doesn't make sense.
Yet you still renamed your character those two latter names.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I also feel like you are being biased and racist yourselves for assuming that it was stereotypical in nature especially when you are not African American yourself.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm You automatically assume that the people playing this game are all white and this is also not the case or at least it comes off that way.
You accused me of assuming everyone was white yet you're doing the same thing.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm Anytime I have said anything bigoted it was because I was racially attacked for a character I am playing as.
Someone else breaking the rules doesn't excuse you to do the same. An eye for an eye and the world goes blind.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I said NOTHING and partially because I knew you guys wouldn't do anything if I did.
Why are you so sure we wouldn't? At least two people got slapped for rule 11 just in the past week.
Zendayasbf wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:31 pm I also had my discord PFP as my face when I was in the discord server because I KNOW that playing as a black man in the game may come off as a racist stereotype but it isn't.
You weren't playing a black man. You were playing with the darkest skin option possible, with an afro and a beard, have a stereotypical name and talking like a stereotypical black man would. You're not the first person we told off for that nor will you be the last.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
Zendayasbf

Post by Zendayasbf » #656481

Alright now I have a few replies to the things you stated and I would like another admin to look at my appeal because you seem very hostile, passive aggressive and biased especially since I got "banned out of the discord" as if this negates me from getting unbanned from the game. My behavior shouldn't be judged from that incident alone what should be judged is my play hours and how most of my conduct in the server is me playing the game and being nice.

"How is that related to anything? Or do you want me to treat you differently because you're black? I thought that was the definition of racial descrimination."
It's relevant because by the ban reason you were assuming I was a white racist nazi most likely playing as a black character which isn't the case.
Proving there is no racial discrimination if I myself am a black man.

"Still a reference from a show"
50% of the server has names and references towards shows not a good argument.

"Thank you for sharing this vital information, this will surely help us with the appeal."
It does because you were judging my characters appearance and asked why am I dressed like this. Once again your emotions are at play here with the passive aggressive comment very nice professionalism and you totally didn't ban me out of a kneejerk reaction I'm sure you were very calm when you were doing it. This is why I need another admin to look at my appeal.

"Why did you not speak up? Again, admins are not omnipresent. We're human, we can miss things. Ahelping is the best way of alerting us to an issue. There's also no way of you knowing that the person didn't actually get punished. They probably were."
When 50% of the server is being racist and you are being subconsciously racist yourself by assuming things about my race and asking why am I dressed a certain why and have a certain name I hardly doubt they are getting punished.
But when people are transphobic they get banned instantly.
And I know they don't get punished because I see the same recurring figures being racist towards me and the same regulars unbanned. Seems like some sort of favortisim.

"Source?"
The source is many people in the discord server saying this that you will get banned nearly immediately or at least warned for transphobia.

"Racism can apparently only be spoken"
You're right it can't only be spoken since you made baseless assumptions yourself about my race and telling me what is a stereotype in my community and what isn't and judged accordingly towards that.

"You got into a disagreement? You mean you kept being a dick towards someone? The ban reason was "Fresh account starting fights in various channels and refusing to stop when asked. Appeal on the forums when you're capable of interacting with the community in a normal fashion."
I was responding to being attacked by multiple people it seems like you are biased with this appeal and your feelings are involved in this reeport so if it is indeed possible I would like another admin to review this because you are acting as if you were there in the discord while it was happening.

"I didn't know ban evading a few days after your ban was accepting said ban"
Not relevant to the server ban however and once again another sign that your emotions are at play here and you aren't viewing this objectively.

"How can you be sure those people weren't banned? If they weren't please provide the round IDs so we can ban them."
50% of the server isn't going to be banned and you play favorites clearly which is a direct sign of racism if white people are doing the exact same thing I'm doing and getting slaps on the wrist.

"I can assure you we don't allow that name or any other blatant reference to a show. They may slip under our noses sometimes, which is why you think we do."
Yeah because 20 or so people slip your noses is what you're telling me..... right.

"Yet you still renamed your character those two latter names."
Because I saw other people having a TV show name and movie and they are regulars and I thought it was okay it does not warrant a permanent ban for a single offense.

"You accused me of assuming everyone was white yet you're doing the same thing."
I saw your discord profile and you most certainly are white and are most definitely not african american which I have gotten confirmed by other discord users there is no assumption we can even boil it down to demographical statistics as well I doubt you want to have this conversation.

"Someone else breaking the rules doesn't excuse you to do the same. An eye for an eye and the world goes blind."
Yeah but if they get a slap on the wrist and not a permanent suspension that is racism for sure.

"Why are you so sure we wouldn't? At least two people got slapped for rule 11 just in the past week."
And did these two people get a permanent ban because if they didn't then that's racial bias and favoritism.

"You weren't playing a black man. You were playing with the darkest skin option possible, with an afro and a beard, have a stereotypical name and talking like a stereotypical black man would. You're not the first person we told off for that nor will you be the last."
You as a non black man cannot tell me how to play as a black man or how I should be speaking that is by definition racist if I'm not being bigoted or breaking server rules my way of talking should not equate a ban that is insanity.
An afro and a beard and the darkest skin tone possible is you once again assuming I can't possibly have these things in real life. You define these stereotypes as a white person so unless you are African American yourself it is not your job to decide black culture or speak for us. As I stated earlier I know tons of black males in my community and people who went to my high school who are named Tyrone and there is nothing stereotypical about a common name in the black community. I would like someone of color who is potentially an admin or somebody else who is an admin review this because you have no idea what you're talking about and assume I'm a racist.
How can you as a white person tell a black man in his community what is "stereotypical" and what isn't especially when I can't control my name IRL.
I see that you are also trans so you should know better than anyone else that discrimination and assumptions is a no go yet you are doing the same towards me and speaking for me and my race.
Please do better.
I honestly don't think I deserve a perma for this or at the very least the ban should be less severe.
I've seen white guys do way worse and got confirmation that they only got a slap on the wrist and a warning (and yes they are white because they admitted this to me in game and on the discord server no assumptions)
Riggle
Global Moderator

Post by Riggle » #656486

I apologize if I seemed hostile in the appeal, that was not my intention.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "Still a reference from a show"
50% of the server has names and references towards shows not a good argument.
The rules wrote: Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. [...]
If you spot a name that's a reference please do report it to us.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "Thank you for sharing this vital information, this will surely help us with the appeal."
It does because you were judging my characters appearance and asked why am I dressed like this. Once again your emotions are at play here with the passive aggressive comment very nice professionalism and you totally didn't ban me out of a kneejerk reaction I'm sure you were very calm when you were doing it. This is why I need another admin to look at my appeal.
We're not customer support and are not required to act as such. I can assure you I didn't ban you because of a kneejerk reaction, I've discussed it with multiple other admins before placing the ban.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "Why did you not speak up? Again, admins are not omnipresent. We're human, we can miss things. Ahelping is the best way of alerting us to an issue. There's also no way of you knowing that the person didn't actually get punished. They probably were."
When 50% of the server is being racist and you are being subconsciously racist yourself by assuming things about my race and asking why am I dressed a certain why and have a certain name I hardly doubt they are getting punished.
But when people are transphobic they get banned instantly.
And I know they don't get punished because I see the same recurring figures being racist towards me and the same regulars unbanned. Seems like some sort of favortisim.
The logs are public. If 50% of the server is being racist it really won't be hard finding at least one such case, no? I promise to deal with them.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am And I know they don't get punished because I see the same recurring figures being racist towards me and the same regulars unbanned. Seems like some sort of favortisim.
If people are racist they're at least noted if not banned. If they continue to be racist they'll be permanently banned. That's how it works, so please do ahelp or post those logs.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "Source?"
The source is many people in the discord server saying this that you will get banned nearly immediately or at least warned for transphobia.
Not only is that not a good source it also doesn't show those instances of people being racist you spoke about. Racism is taken seriously as you can see.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "Racism can apparently only be spoken"
You're right it can't only be spoken since you made baseless assumptions yourself about my race and telling me what is a stereotype in my community and what isn't and judged accordingly towards that.
That's not what I said at all. You keep insisting you didn't say anything racist towards anyone. Actions and appearances matter. Blackface was very racist for example.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "You got into a disagreement? You mean you kept being a dick towards someone? The ban reason was "Fresh account starting fights in various channels and refusing to stop when asked. Appeal on the forums when you're capable of interacting with the community in a normal fashion."
I was responding to being attacked by multiple people it seems like you are biased with this appeal and your feelings are involved in this reeport so if it is indeed possible I would like another admin to review this because you are acting as if you were there in the discord while it was happening.
You attacked them first, no wonder you got attacked back. I wasn't there but someone who was explained the situation to me.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "I didn't know ban evading a few days after your ban was accepting said ban"
Not relevant to the server ban however and once again another sign that your emotions are at play here and you aren't viewing this objectively.
It's very relevant in fact, it shows you have little to no intention of following the rules. You may have broken them on separate platforms and am I supposed to turn a blind eye?
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "How can you be sure those people weren't banned? If they weren't please provide the round IDs so we can ban them."
50% of the server isn't going to be banned and you play favorites clearly which is a direct sign of racism if white people are doing the exact same thing I'm doing and getting slaps on the wrist.
Again, please show me such instances. Show me people doing that exact same thing you keep talking about and I will unban you, ban them and apologize.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "I can assure you we don't allow that name or any other blatant reference to a show. They may slip under our noses sometimes, which is why you think we do."
Yeah because 20 or so people slip your noses is what you're telling me..... right.
You so heavily insist there's many cases of racism yet you can't provide me with a single one. Give me some examples, please.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "Yet you still renamed your character those two latter names."
Because I saw other people having a TV show name and movie and they are regulars and I thought it was okay it does not warrant a permanent ban for a single offense.
No, it does not. What lead to the permaban is you having to change your name from Afro Man then doubling down on stereotypical representations of black people. Tyrone Biggums' whole point was mocking stereotypes.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "You accused me of assuming everyone was white yet you're doing the same thing."
I saw your discord profile and you most certainly are white and are most definitely not african american which I have gotten confirmed by other discord users there is no assumption we can even boil it down to demographical statistics as well I doubt you want to have this conversation.
Profile pictures have nothing to do with that. This whole point has nothing to do with this appeal. I do not care what colour your skin is.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "Someone else breaking the rules doesn't excuse you to do the same. An eye for an eye and the world goes blind."
Yeah but if they get a slap on the wrist and not a permanent suspension that is racism for sure.
Everyone gets a slap on the wrist on their first offense. You doubled down with the name. They also get permabanned after their next offense.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "Why are you so sure we wouldn't? At least two people got slapped for rule 11 just in the past week."
And did these two people get a permanent ban because if they didn't then that's racial bias and favoritism.
The ones in the past week were first infractions so they got off with a slap on their wrist. If we go just a bit further back someone was permabanned for racism.
Zendayasbf wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:51 am "You weren't playing a black man. You were playing with the darkest skin option possible, with an afro and a beard, have a stereotypical name and talking like a stereotypical black man would. You're not the first person we told off for that nor will you be the last."
You as a non black man cannot tell me how to play as a black man or how I should be speaking that is by definition racist if I'm not being bigoted or breaking server rules my way of talking should not equate a ban that is insanity.
An afro and a beard and the darkest skin tone possible is you once again assuming I can't possibly have these things in real life. You define these stereotypes as a white person so unless you are African American yourself it is not your job to decide black culture or speak for us. As I stated earlier I know tons of black males in my community and people who went to my high school who are named Tyrone and there is nothing stereotypical about a common name in the black community. I would like someone of color who is potentially an admin or somebody else who is an admin review this because you have no idea what you're talking about and assume I'm a racist.
How can you as a white person tell a black man in his community what is "stereotypical" and what isn't especially when I can't control my name IRL.
I see that you are also trans so you should know better than anyone else that discrimination and assumptions is a no go yet you are doing the same towards me and speaking for me and my race.
Please do better.
I honestly don't think I deserve a perma for this or at the very least the ban should be less severe.
I've seen white guys do way worse and got confirmation that they only got a slap on the wrist and a warning (and yes they are white because they admitted this to me in game and on the discord server no assumptions)
As I said before it's not one thing. You literally checked off all the boxes of a stereotypical character. How many Tyrones with darkest possible skin and an afro do you think there were? Of course they use the excuse of being black to spew racial slurs. We just had one two weeks ago!

I can see you want to play on the servers again. I'm willing to drop this to a week ban given that you change your name. Michael Thompson was a great choice. If you provide proof to the claims you've made I may reduce it even further.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
Zendayasbf

Post by Zendayasbf » #656525

"I can see you want to play on the servers again. I'm willing to drop this to a week ban given that you change your name. Michael Thompson was a great choice. If you provide proof to the claims you've made I may reduce it even further."
I will change my name to Michael Thompson if it means I can play the server again yes. I will also change the skintone (its still gonna be dark just not unrealistically dark where it's completely black and stereotypical) so that this doesn't happen again as well. I unfortunately never had a chance to save any of the logs of these instances occuring but for now on after my week ban is up I will frequently use adminhelp when these instances occur I just didn't want to be a nuisance which was another reason why I didn't do it because it was very frequent instances but now I understand that it's fine to do so.
I also apologize for the way I came off because I came off quite strong and I did not mean any disrespect I was just frustrated about the situation.
Thank you for your decision and once again I apologize for my actions and going forward I will do better.
I appreciate your leniency.
Riggle
Global Moderator

Post by Riggle » #656556

Thank you. I will also apologize for being a bit rude. You don't have to change your skin tone and you are of course welcome to use any name you'd like as long as it doesn't break our rules. I only ask you not to play caricature / stereotypical characters of any kind. Being named Tyrone (and not Tyrone Biggums) is fine on it's own, even if you have dark or even the darkest possible skin. The problem lies in checking all boxes of being a stereotypical character.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
Zendayasbf

Post by Zendayasbf » #656569

For sure I will not play a stereotypical character or caricature either I accept that I could've done better with my behavior and the way I was talking as well in-game with slang and all that stuff.
I will see you all in a week if you are willing to drop it to a week ban and you can close this appeal if you like.
Riggle
Global Moderator

Post by Riggle » #656572

I've already dropped it down to a week! I'm not here to police what kind of character you play, you can use slang too if you'd like. The only objectional part was the caricature, nothing else. If you're ever unsure about anything feel free to ask admins by ahelping, I'm sure they'll answer your questions.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text