Make Regal Pipeguns more attainable and adding some new crew laser weaponries

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Make Regal Pipeguns more attainable and adding some new crew laser weaponries

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #690810

Current guns available to the crew on tg code (I play on fulp and yog btw) are somewhat bland and uninteresting. I've also Noticed Cobby and Necromanceranne have been pushing for more laser based guns and ballistics being fewer in quantity. Since Necromanceranne wants to push for a laser focused arsenal, i feel the need to propose a few special laser guns that have been sitting in the code for a while these are:

Laser cannon: 10 shots, 40 burn damage per shot.
Accelerator laser cannon: 5 burn initially, gains +7 burn per tile travelled. Unknown ammo count
Scatter Laser Cannon: Has some self recharging capabilities, unknown total damage and ammo count.
(IM too lazy and dont know how to codedive)
If these lasers weapons turn out to be too overpowered, we can always fiddle with the numbers, maybe add some damage falloff like how yogstation added damage falloff to shotgun slugs.

Onto the next portion of this thread: Making Regal Pipeguns more common:

Regal pipeguns are fine and all, but i don't like how they are restricted to finding a book in the dark tunnels of maintenance, I propose we remove the book requirement for crafting, but make crafting harder by requiring you to gather more stuff to compensate. How we make regal pipeguns more difficult to craft, that's open to discussion.

Also Necro and Cobby, i want your thoughts on these.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Re: Make Regal Pipeguns more attainable and adding some new crew laser weaponries

Post by NecromancerAnne » #690832

I have absolutely zero interest in making the Regal Pipegun more common. I am very happy with it being an oddity. It could be made slightly stronger given the rarity and changes around it, however, but not more common.

I also don't like any of those weapons. The heavy laser is basically just the laser with more damage, and the accelerator is...something alright. Scatter Laser is an outdated piece of trash and also probably going to get blocked outright by oranges for being a shotgun. Their only significant difference is in how much damage they do, and most of that boils down to only the highest matters. I'm more interested in unique mechanics that aren't purely damage focused.

I'm also, to be frank, less interested in more weapons than I am more equipment for security in general. We have a lot of weapons. We don't need more weapons. Better to improve and replace what we have than bloat out the list.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Re: Make Regal Pipeguns more attainable and adding some new crew laser weaponries

Post by vect0r » #690839

Accelerator is already in space.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #690952

NecromancerAnne wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:20 pm I have absolutely zero interest in making the Regal Pipegun more common. I am very happy with it being an oddity. It could be made slightly stronger given the rarity and changes around it, however, but not more common.

I want to ask for your justification, why do you want regal pipeguns to be rare? What if there were other ways to obtain the book/gun like through cargo that costs like, 3k? Why do you want them to be an oddity?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #690984

Because sometimes something being rarer adds to its charm. That's it. It adds a degree of variety and oddity to the round. A kind of novelty.

Inherently it being an oddity is the justification. If it becomes more abundant, it loses a part of that charm of it being rarer and less often seen in a given round. I partially made a mistake even adding one to icebox with semi-reliability. I would want someone seeing one in the round to be an acknowledgement that 'yes, that person got really lucky to even have it'.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #691025

Local man absolutely craves the depth of a puddle
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?