Boot
Byond Username: B00t

[TheBibleMelts]-B00t

Post by Boot » #695205

BYOND account: B00t
Character name: Zion SLR
Ban type: Note
Ban length:Note
Ban reason: Yelled 'RAPE' during a search, was spoken to about it.
Time ban was placed: 2023-07-23 02:51:51
Server you were playing on when banned: Sybil
Round ID in which ban was placed: Round ID, should be present in ban reason from server. Can be excluded if it cannot be found. Example: 210828
Your side of the story: During a meeting to decide what should be done with the murderous and vile Paris I joined in with the tiding swarm that attempted to storm the bridge. The result of which was me being violently arrested by sec during which I yelled "RAPE".
Why you think you should be unbanned: I feel that this ban is unjustified. The act of saying "rape" itself is not creepy. Under BM's own words any usage of it in any context in a videogame is "weird" and I assume isn't due to him saying that it would fall under rule 8.
However this kind of broad restriction of a word devoid of any context is typically something saved for word filters which rape is not covered by. In fact it has been suggested to be added but was not* and has even been used a example of use good rp *
It is clear that there is a reason why we don't hard filter rape is because we allow it to exist for these more lighthearted encounters. That as the admin himself called it a "joke line" it would not fall under the purview of rule 8.

Anything else we should know: This note is split up into two different tickets. One where I just agreed and another where I further questioned. During the second one they denied the existence of the hard filter. I believe that this shows a lack of understanding of the process in which a word would become banned void of context.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Re: [TheBibleMelts]-B00t

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695209

I don't understand - you weren't banned here. Are you appealing the note about being spoken to about yelling about being raped ingame?
Boot

Post by Boot » #695211

I'd really appreciate it if you'd read the appeal before responding.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695214

I did, particularly the part where you said that you felt the ban was unjustified. There was no ban, and it is absolutely a creep move to insinuate that another player is raping you while you're being arrested for graytiding - to where the player adminhelped saying that you were making them uncomfortable. If you feel that players should be free to accuse one another of sexual assault upon justified arrests, you're free to make a policy thread about it.
Boot

Post by Boot » #695216

I wouldn't open this up by contradicting yourself as you said in the ticket before not to use it as a "joke line", as in you know full well that I wasn't attempting to accuse sec of sexual assault. Yes I am appealing the note, now respond to the arguments given. Do you think why do you think that rape wasn't added to the hard filter? Do you think that referring to xenos as "rapists" should also catch a bwoinking from you?
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695217

Boot wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:51 am Yes I am appealing the note,
Alright, cool. I am denying this appeal.

Your use of it in this context did not fall into any acceptable space that your linked example did, were spoken to about that, and a minor note was added that we had the conversation in the event that you decided to continue doing it in the future.

It's a dick move to imply another player is raping you while you're being arrested for general shittery, and I'm uninterested in arguing semantics about it with you beyond that.
Boot

Post by Boot » #695218

You know what man that is not a problem at all. I would love a headmin review of this.
Boot

Post by Boot » #695219

TheBibleMelts wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:07 am
Boot wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:51 am Yes I am appealing the note,
Your use of it in this context did not fall into any acceptable space that your linked example did, were spoken to about that, and a minor note was added that we had the conversation in the event that you decided to continue doing it in the future.
So just to be clear here when you said "that's the neat part, you don't ever use it in the context of a video game because it's just a weird thing to do." that was wrong of you yeah? Because now you are saying that there is a context inwhich it is ok to say it.
theREALsomah69
Byond Username: Somah69

Post by theREALsomah69 » #695221

TheBibleMelts wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:45 am I did, particularly the part where you said that you felt the ban was unjustified. There was no ban, and it is absolutely a creep move to insinuate that another player is raping you while you're being arrested for graytiding - to where the player adminhelped saying that you were making them uncomfortable. If you feel that players should be free to accuse one another of sexual assault upon justified arrests, you're free to make a policy thread about it.
I want to clarify that I did not Ahelp and was perfectly fine with Zion's comment.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #695222

I'll chime in and say that we have historically noted and asked people to not scream that they're being raped when being arrested, either as an extension of rule 8 or directly under rule 1.

This is a very common note in cases like this.

E: Removed my reply to somah since it ended up being irrelevant.
Last edited by Vekter on Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695223

theREALsomah69 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:23 am
TheBibleMelts wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:45 am I did, particularly the part where you said that you felt the ban was unjustified. There was no ban, and it is absolutely a creep move to insinuate that another player is raping you while you're being arrested for graytiding - to where the player adminhelped saying that you were making them uncomfortable. If you feel that players should be free to accuse one another of sexual assault upon justified arrests, you're free to make a policy thread about it.
I want to clarify that I did not Ahelp and was perfectly fine with Zion's comment.
Apologies, it must have been a nearby player -

Code: Select all

AHELP TEXT: could you please tell zion slr to not make rape jokes they make me extremely uncomfortable
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695224

hey there, please steer away from using 'rape' as a joke line.
thebiblemelts ➡ b00t
2023-07-23T02:50:22
Sure no problem.
b00t ➡ thebiblemelts
2023-07-23T02:50:38
TheBibleMelts/(Xemo) has created a note for B00tYelled 'RAPE' during a search, was spoken to about it.
thebiblemelts ➡ b00t
2023-07-23T02:51:07
[Thumbs up ACII]
thebiblemelts ➡ b00t
2023-07-23T02:51:46
Resolved by TheBibleMelts
thebiblemelts ➡ Admins

you know I actually started thinking. When do you think it would be a good time to use rape if not in a joking manner?
b00t ➡ Admins
2023-07-23T02:54:02
that's the neat part, you don't ever use it in the context of a video game because it's just a weird thing to do.
thebiblemelts ➡ b00t
2023-07-23T02:54:45
I don't think I really agree with that.
b00t ➡ thebiblemelts
2023-07-23T02:55:22
that's fine, but you do need to follow rule 8 if you plan on sticking around.
thebiblemelts ➡ b00t
2023-07-23T02:56:17
Yep thats the plan. Just seems weird like why is the word not filtered if you are just gonna bwoink anyone who uses it.
b00t ➡ thebiblemelts
2023-07-23T02:56:52
no words are hard filtered, there are words that alert us when they're said in order to investigate the context though.
thebiblemelts ➡ b00t
2023-07-23T02:57:40
No there are hard filtered words. Just tested "validhunt" and it wouldn't let me. I'd double check that if you are bwoinking people off of a lack of info.
b00t ➡ thebiblemelts
2023-07-23T02:59:12
funny if true
thebiblemelts ➡ b00t
2023-07-23T03:00:09
Either way just a thought, thanks for doing it for free and have a wonderful rest of your night ^^
b00t ➡ thebiblemelts
2023-07-23T03:00:39
Resolved by TheBibleMelts
Anyway, here are our PM logs - you re-opened a ticket asking me when I personally feel it's a good time to make rape jokes ingame and you got my honest opinion on the matter.
Boot

Post by Boot » #695226

I do not assume that when someone ahelp asking a question especially in regards to a recent note that they are you know, just asking your opinion on the matter. They are probably asking the admin about rule policy.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695231

That's why I specified it was fine that you disagreed with that - you are entitled to your own opinions. I then reminded you to keep it within the boundaries of rule 8, which was my non-opinion based response to your question.
Boot

Post by Boot » #695234

So I ask when it would be ok to say rape, you say never as this is a video game, I say I disagree, then you say that's cool but you gotta follow rule 8 if you wanna stick around. Is it really that far-fetched of a conclusion to come to that you think that any mention of rape in game would fall under rule 8?
Last edited by Boot on Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695239

Boot wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:51 am So I ask when it would be ok to say rape, you say never as this is a video game, I say I disagree, then you say that's cool but you gotta follow rule 8 if you wanna stick around. Is it really that far-fetched of a conclusion to come to that you think that any mention of rape in game would fall under rule 8?
I don't think it would be far-fetched, no, but if you wanted your clarification to that question expanded upon by itself, you've chosen an extremely obtuse way to go about doing that with the creation of this thread.

I'll apologize for the misunderstanding at the start of our PM above, but you're also a grown adult who should understand nuance with using certain words and phrases and the context they may be appropriate in without having to have a list of every scenario spelled out for you to check off.
Boot

Post by Boot » #695241

How can you say that when I asked you about what context it could be appropriate in and you told me that it doesn't exist.
E: you are even doing it in the peanut thread. If you just wanna say "listen man I was just memeing in that ticket I don't actually believe what I told you" then just own it.
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695243

Boot wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:27 am How can you say that when I asked you about what context it could be appropriate in and you told me that it doesn't exist.
E: you are even doing it in the peanut thread. If you just wanna say "listen man I was just memeing in that ticket I don't actually believe what I told you" then just own it.
Because you'd be hard pressed to find a casually justified use of the word ingame even in a non-joking manner, let alone in a joking one. I see that in your post history you've lamented the loss of being able to browse 8chan any longer - I feel like you may have normalized some things in your head that just don't work out as jokes outside of those types of circles. You've been a member of this community for years, you've surely gained the ability to read the room on this and how /tg/ differs in attitude from there without needing your hand held over it.
Boot

Post by Boot » #695244

TheBibleMelts wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:40 am
Boot wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:27 am How can you say that when I asked you about what context it could be appropriate in and you told me that it doesn't exist.
Because you'd be hard pressed to find a casually justified use of the word ingame even in a non-joking manner, let alone in a joking one. I see that in your post history you've lamented the loss of being able to browse 8chan any longer - I feel like you may have normalized some things in your head that just don't work out as jokes outside of those types of circles. You've been a member of this community for years, you've surely gained the ability to read the room on this and how /tg/ differs in attitude from there without needing your hand held over it.
Lad I literally found one in the 20 minutes it took me to make this appeal after the round ended. Also you really need to make up your mind here, did I say this jokingly or was this an actual accusation of sexual assault?
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695246

Boot wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:48 am
Lad I literally found one in the 20 minutes it took me to make this appeal after the round ended. Also you really need to make up your mind here, did I say this jokingly or was this an actual accusation of sexual assault?
Why don't you tell me, hombre? Were you joking or were you actually accusing the officer of sexual assault? One of these two curtains leads to a comical brick-wall behind it in which I will tell you that the universal answer to using it in that context is 'no'.
Boot

Post by Boot » #695247

TheBibleMelts wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:54 am
Boot wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:48 am
Why don't you tell me, hombre? Were you joking or were you actually accusing the officer of sexual assault? One of these two curtains leads to a comical brick-wall behind it in which I will tell you that the universal answer to using it in that context is 'no'.
I mean you seem to think I was joking as that is what the note says yet you came in here acting like I was trying to accuses them. Why is that? Why did you try to lie about that?
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #695248

I can no longer take anything you're posting here in good faith, please read your own note and await a headmin response.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #695255

https://scrubby.melonmesa.com/round/210828?h=b00t

02:19:15	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "may I have"	(158, 156, 2)	Cargo Lobby
02:19:16	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "one wrench"	(157, 157, 2)	Cargo Office
02:20:08	GAME	B00t/(Zion SLR) started fireman carrying Ryan Johnson.	(134, 175, 2)	Fore Primary Hallway
02:20:08	GAME	*no key*/(Ryan Johnson) was fireman carried by Zion SLR.	(134, 176, 2)	Fore Primary Hallway
02:20:34	GAME	B00t/(Zion SLR) is no longer being ridden by Ryan Johnson.	(152, 104, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:20:34	GAME	*no key*/(Ryan Johnson) is no longer riding Zion SLR.	(152, 104, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:28:57	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "mason is lying"	(169, 104, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:29:03	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "I blade broke not the chap"	(169, 104, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:29:17	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "im the evil one"	(180, 96, 2)	Library
02:29:20	SAY	CoffeeDragon16/(Imperative) "Zion is in the library."	(33, 138, 2)	AI Chamber
02:39:32	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at Simplebot	(161, 99, 2)	Medbay Lobby
02:39:35	EMOTE	DJ_Floofy/(Simplebot) points at Zion SLR	(163, 100, 2)	Medbay Lobby
02:39:36	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "hey borg im bored"	(162, 99, 2)	Medbay Lobby
02:39:48	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "can you tell sec you saw me stealing organs from the mourge"	(162, 99, 2)	Medbay Lobby
02:39:56	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "so I can have a fun chase"	(162, 99, 2)	Medbay Lobby
02:40:28	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "Hey slavik"	(149, 103, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:40:31	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "got any speed meds"	(149, 103, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:40:35	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "im an evildoer"	(149, 103, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:40:39	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "and need to outrun sec"	(149, 103, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:40:47	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "not at all"	(149, 103, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:41:42	SAY	DJ_Floofy/(Simplebot) "I spotted Zion murdering John Smith at the door to maintenance"	(135, 159, 2)	Fore Primary Hallway
02:42:09	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "thats me everyday"	(149, 103, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:42:53	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "thanks"	(149, 103, 2)	Aft Central Primary Hallway
02:43:01	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at the floor	(133, 131, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:43:02	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at the floor	(133, 131, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:43:02	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at the floor	(133, 131, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:43:13	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at the pony	(119, 127, 2)	Port Maintenance
02:43:18	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "nice pony"	(117, 127, 2)	Port Maintenance
02:43:39	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "have mercy"	(118, 127, 2)	Port Maintenance
02:43:41	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "if you see sec"	(118, 127, 2)	Port Maintenance
02:43:43	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "shove them"	(118, 127, 2)	Port Maintenance
02:43:54	GAME	B00t/(Zion SLR) has teleported from (Fore Primary Hallway (133,170,2)) to (Bar Lounge (139,166,2))	(139, 166, 2)	Bar Lounge
02:45:16	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "viva"	(153, 147, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:45:28	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at the floor	(141, 149, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:45:28	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at the floor	(140, 149, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:45:29	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at the firelock	(136, 149, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:45:29	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) points at the large metal box	(135, 149, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:45:33	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "my heart"	(136, 148, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:45:37	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "lord almighty"	(136, 148, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:45:42	EMOTE	B00t/(Zion SLR) screams!	(135, 137, 2)	Fore Central Primary Hallway
02:46:13	SAY	Trexter555/(Kraven Lockharte) "a borg said zion murdered a guy earlier"	(148, 138, 2)	Bridge
02:46:18	EMOTE	Trexter555/(Kraven Lockharte) points at Zion SLR	(148, 139, 2)	Bridge
02:46:21	EMOTE	Ahana/(Jessica Walker) points at Zion SLR	(161, 138, 2)	Bridge
02:46:21	EMOTE	Ahana/(Jessica Walker) points at Zion SLR	(161, 138, 2)	Bridge
02:46:30	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "rape"	(162, 134, 2)	Captain's Office
02:46:31	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "RAPE"	(162, 134, 2)	Captain's Office
02:46:33	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "HELP"	(162, 134, 2)	Captain's Office
02:46:37	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "PONY HELP ME"	(162, 134, 2)	Captain's Office
02:46:43	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "SAVE ME RAINBOW DASH"	(163, 135, 2)	Captain's Office
02:46:48	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "DONT CHECK THE BAG"	(163, 135, 2)	Captain's Office
02:47:12	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "god damn it"	(163, 135, 2)	Captain's Office
02:47:16	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "im not even a ahiry tick"	(163, 135, 2)	Captain's Office
02:47:21	SAY	B00t/(Zion SLR) "I took that stuff"	(162, 135, 2)
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #695304

How is this 20+ posts?

We have like a hundred notes in our database placed by God knows how many admins over a solid decade asking players not to scream rape.

MSO has tight control over the hard banned part of the word filter. It only contains things that are 99%+ OOC in IC.

For anything that isn't OOC in IC, MSO obliges us to let the players try to use the words, even if we can't think of any valid IC use.

You have the freedom to say dumb things.

We have the freedom to note and ban you for doing so.

Go away.

Kieth4: We have a long line precedent of rape being noted.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin