Lazarus'd sentient mobs, friendly or hostile?

EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Lazarus'd sentient mobs, friendly or hostile?

Post by EmpressMaia » #695920

So for the longest time ive always thought that reviving a sentient animal, from mouse to space dragon, HAS to be friendly and follow the orders of the person who revived them, similar to xenobio sentience potion. however, after looking through code, rules, and headmin rulings, i cant find where thats actually stated.
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Re: Lazarus'd sentient mobs, friendly or hostile?

Post by blackdav123 » #695931

I assume its just been treated the same as those other scenarios with the animal aligning with the master's allegiances
Weston Echard on Sybil
nukularpower
Byond Username: Nukularpower

Post by nukularpower » #695934

it shouldnt be assumed though - if you use a slime sentience potion on a mob you get a specific popup explicitely telling you to follow that persons orders. Laz'd mobs get nothing like that
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #695943

Lazarus'd mobs with AI become friendly to you so it's actually kind of weird that they don't get any flavour text to that extent if player-controlled.
Then again, it is often used to revive fragile pets which were killed by mistake and it might be odd to tie a hypnosis effect to "I want my beloved sapient dog to be alive again".
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #695968

As of now, just like with the sentient bots, I would say that, if you do not have a flavor text telling you to follow your reviver's orders, you do not have to.
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #695969

i think that laz mobs should have to follower their revivers orders, since they gave you life and all
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #695971

Likewise. It's funny to have a revived peaceful dragon. There'd be no incentive to do so if they retained antagonistic behavior after.

EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #695977

also enables funnny antag shennangians IE. traitor reviving dead spider brood mother or dragon and using them for their bidding
Justice12354
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Justice12354

Post by Justice12354 » #696019

EmpressMaia wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:00 am i think that laz mobs should have to follower their revivers orders, since they gave you life and all
EmpressMaia wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:38 am also enables funnny antag shennangians IE. traitor reviving dead spider brood mother or dragon and using them for their bidding
While I completely agree with you here, this is a code issue rather than a policy one. The headmins cannot set a flavor text for when someone is revived by lazarus, so it's something that has to be coded in. With that in mind, making a ruling saying "Sentient mobs revived by Lazarus must follow their reviver's orders" is extremely unfair towards said mobs who are revived without a proper flavor text in place.
If that gets coded in, as soon as they have that flavor text, a policy thread would actually be completely unnecessary because the flavor text says it all.
Spoiler:
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #696027

isn't flavor text under a big policy json file?

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #696063

Sightld2 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:33 am isn't flavor text under a big policy json file?
I think that file can handle things like "logged in as a spider" but doesn't have enough context to add a new message to "when revived via Lazarus injector" until someone codes one in.
Constellado
Byond Username: Constellado

Post by Constellado » #697757

I got bowinked once for being a bit too aggressive after being lazarused as a dragon saying I need to follow their orders. I wish it said who I was supposed to follow but yeah.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #697783

I don't believe it's codified in the rules, but the accepted handling of it has always been "do whatever the person who revived you orders you to do".
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
nukularpower
Byond Username: Nukularpower

Post by nukularpower » #697792

personally i rather enjoy not being certain the mob is on your side - sure it may cooperate out of gratitude for being revived, but you probably dont want to turn your back on that possibly vengeful giant dragoncarp
DaydreamIQ
Byond Username: DaydreamIQ

Post by DaydreamIQ » #697995

It really does need to be more clear whether or not a lazarus'd dragon is friendly or not. Because i've seen far too many incidents where some rando miner revives a dragon, then acts shocked when it kills half the crew all of a sudden (This happened once during a Nukies + Wizard midround and it fucked a LOT of people up)
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #698075

If we decide that sentient mobs dont have to obey the lazaruser we might wanna either put an "Are you sure?" prompt on dangerous sentient mobs like dragons or add dragons to the lazarus blocklist like megafauna.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer

Post by Jacquerel » #698101

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:11 pm If we decide that sentient mobs dont have to obey the lazaruser we might wanna either put an "Are you sure?" prompt on dangerous sentient mobs like dragons or add dragons to the lazarus blocklist like megafauna.
It doesn't only work on sapient mobs and non-sapient mobs become friendly towards the user.
And friendly towards only the user if emped.

Maybe we should add that as flavour text if not already present.
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Post by mrmelbert » #698104

This is a code issue, it straight up says in the item's description:
"this device can seemingly raise animals from the dead, making them become friendly to the user"
...but it makes no indication to player-mobs revived with it that they must.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #705199

while it's a code issue that the resurrected mobs do not get any manner of message when revived, the intention of the item is clear that the revived creature, sentient or not, is loyal to the one who revived them, and will be enforced with that idea in mind.

fikou - agree
cheshify - agree