Let’s disable the ghost and suicide verbs

The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Let’s disable the ghost and suicide verbs

Post by The Wrench » #701541

See title. And they don’t add much to the game. More often than not. They are used as a way to screw over someone like an antagonist if you’re an AI Or a cultist. The DNR verb is more than sufficient for removing yourself from the shift after you’ve already died, and if you absolutely must die, you can use normal means to kill yourself that aren’t super immersion breaking.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Re: Let’s disable the ghost and suicide verbs

Post by warbluke » #701549

I'm okay with ghost being removed since I can't think of a use case that suicide doesn't cover, but all the fun ways to kill yourself are more than enough to justify suicide as a verb.
iain0
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Iain0

Post by iain0 » #701551

warbluke wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:30 pm I'm okay with ghost being removed since I can't think of a use case that suicide doesn't cover, but all the fun ways to kill yourself are more than enough to justify suicide as a verb.
Suicide requires you to have some control over your character to execute. Ghost is just a straight up detachment from the mob.

Ghosting provides a guaranteed escape from any situation you don't want to play, it probably has dubious and valid use cases but if a player wants out, this is the path. Removing it will just make closing the game the equivalent.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #701553

No, what? Why?

Normally I don't question why someone has made a policy thread, but did someone suicide before you could kidnap or convert them or something? This is such a bizarre take, you don't just remove things for the sake of removing them.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #701554

If someone does this to screw others over in valued situations like a carded AI or getting turned into a cultist they are already opening the door to getting a bwoink jump scare.

Also suicides specific to items are funny and I refuse to see the value in them being discarded just because Perry Pissbaby got mad at the game and decided to be a malicious little shit.
Hugs
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #701555

This thread makes me want to ghost
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #701561

iain0 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:37 pm
Suicide requires you to have some control over your character to execute. Ghost is just a straight up detachment from the mob.
The more you know!
Annihilite111
Byond Username: Annihilite

Post by Annihilite111 » #701565

The Wrench wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:12 pm See title. And they don’t add much to the game. More often than not. They are used as a way to screw over someone like an antagonist if you’re an AI Or a cultist. The DNR verb is more than sufficient for removing yourself from the shift after you’ve already died, and if you absolutely must die, you can use normal means to kill yourself that aren’t super immersion breaking.
N20, healium or being in any form of crit as an android would leave you in eternal purgatory. You cant even suicide while asleep, and androids cant die from oxyloss. Being stuck staring at a single tile for the entire round doesn't strike me as very fun.
c4g
Byond Username: C4g

Post by c4g » #701569

HoPline suicide is a time honored tradition, please don't take it away
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #701571

Is this even a config? I very briefly checked and couldn't find anything relevant.

If it's not config, it's a code change and not valid for policy discussion.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #701587

My mistake I assumed it was under a config. Also, the permasleep issue isn’t something I considered. Feel free to close this thread.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player