What makes admin an admin

Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
Forum rules
Only Certified™ Players™ may post in here.
If you are not able to post in here, you are not a Certified™ Player™. Play on a mainline /tg/ game server to gain posting powers in this forum. (certified gamers are only calculated once per day)
RareGambler
Byond Username: Radugadew1

What makes admin an admin

Post by RareGambler » #711780

Hi guys, I'm radugadew1 (aka Lando Baker) and this is my first post on the forums.
► Show Spoiler
I play SS13 since childhood, but my experience has totally changed since I discovered /tg/station! With its truly unique atmosphere, I tend to play specifically on Terry, which I can describe as somewhat messy, mostly because of its international nature.

The question in the topic subject was overwhelming me for some time already; I had some communication experience with the admins, which I found to be profound in the most genuine way. You see, I percieve gaming by itself as it is described in Huizuingas "Homo Ludens" work. Nothing can help in developing social skills as virtual playground, despite the stakes often being nullified. But when we begin to value own space, that's where real developing begins.

I had myself thinking: what is it - being an admin? Could I ever be an admin myself?

What differs administration from playerbase in my eyes - is being an organized entity with a common goal. This is not an easy dilemma when we start to compare these two different kinds of users, f.e. - who is more important, admins or players? Of course the answer is "both", but let's return to the main topic.

I don't want this post to be considered as part of "the chosen one" discourse, let's just say that most of us can observe certain human qualities manifested in varying degrees of intensity. Some of us like being alone, some mostly enjoy a company. Some like to observe, some - to be observed.

And since there is no such thing as "objective criteria" (since we don't have any kind of God or robot who would chose people to be administrators), and what we have is a willingness and supervision, the question is adressed mostly to the subjects of this topic: what do you think makes you a good administrator? Have you ever noticed anything that distinguishes you from the people that, say, tend to be in need of your administrative skills? Maybe there are any implications, expenses of being capable in developing such skillset?

Without being too personal, is there any relation between your server status and real life routine, be it a job or a hobby? Did it develop gradually, like f.e. only after certain age you understood that you can be a leader/guide someone else (if these words relate to your experience in any sense)?

Regular player opinions are welcome too, and thanks for your attention and responses.
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Re: What makes admin an admin

Post by dragomagol » #711783

Patience and not taking myself too seriously. Communication skills are big, too. But I think the admin team thrives having a diverse team with different strengths and weaknesses.
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #711785

Congratz on joining the forumite scourge.

If you're thinking about joining the bad guys, the usual requirements is that at least one trainer likes you, and you're at least somewhat consistent. I've seen admin applications fall short 'cos in the application the candidate is the most well spoken and polite lil' princess and in discord or in game they get on SHOUTING MATCHES WITH PLENTY OF CAPS LOCK LESGOOO WOOOO.

Actually getting to the purplename stage require you to have good ticket conduct and be pleasant, or at least informative, when talking in the admin channels, and not use your position to be a dickhead. Reason for the trialmins I've seen fall short are a mystery locked behind the INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS halls of admin trainers but I assume it's usually lack of activity (if you're not interested in being an admin after discovering what it's like is totally fine, also).

Really it's nothing extravagant, being an admin. The most fun part for me is pushing the funny buttons and giggling as people go "wait this isn't in the game". The admin community itself is also really chill, you end up making friends and that's dope.

I think my best trait as an admin is being stupid, but also very quick in being stupid. Asking dumbass questions and making mistakes is a good way to pave comprehension so someone else doesn't do the stupid thing. So I ask a lot of questions. Really, I'm surprised more people on the admin team don't hate me already.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #711786

purple name
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
RareGambler

Post by RareGambler » #711790

Very fast answers, thank you very much! Will have something to think about...
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dragomagol » #711791

conrad wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:09 pm I think my best trait as an admin is being stupid, but also very quick in being stupid. Asking dumbass questions and making mistakes is a good way to pave comprehension so someone else doesn't do the stupid thing. So I ask a lot of questions. Really, I'm surprised more people on the admin team don't hate me already.
Jokes on you, asking a bunch of good-faith (if silly) questions is a great way to build familiarity and cohesion. And, of course, your own knowledge! As long as someone doesn't come in swinging like a freight train and going "I don't make mistakes and will not listen" people will give you quite a bit of leeway.
AKA tattle

Spoiler:
TheRex9001
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rex9001

Post by TheRex9001 » #711793

I think you have to know how to de-escalate a situation well, you don't want players to talk themselves into bans/get abrasive/etc. I also think its important to remain within the community and play regular rounds of ss13 and just in general talk with folks. Not being an asshole is an important one, don't use your role with a mindset that you are somehow "worth" more than a player.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #711794

be willing to listen and actually enjoy the game
if you dont enjoy the game youre adminning for dont admin out of obligation
i quit the second time because i realized i didnt have fun with the game
im trying to come back now because i play the game and like it
respect (let him do his thing)
Chadley
Byond Username: Armodias

Post by Chadley » #711799

A fun gauge. Maximize fun, recognize unfun, then maximize fun for yourself only.

(Event running is the best part of being an admin.)
► Show Spoiler
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Cheshify

Post by Cheshify » #711800

Leadership & communication skills, the ability to recognize what's fun and let it roll, the ability to make tough judgement calls and handle a lot of people screaming at you for no reason. Also play Felinid or Moth.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
yttriums
Byond Username: Yttriums

Post by yttriums » #711802

the thirst for power. the desire to judge and punish others. an adolescence spent in student councils and monitoring halls
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #711810

being able to work with people you dont like
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #711814

I think anyone with sufficient social skills could be a half decent admin if they care enough. Some naturally have better dispositions but ultimately as long as you care enough to fit the image of what an admin should be, you can become and excel as one. Some people think being an admin would be cool, so they go for it. Some choose to contribute in other ways. It's all just a way of giving back to the community, although reasons for doing so do vary.
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #711815

Actually, more than anything else an admin needs to be able to admit fault, to learn from mistakes, and to work with others
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TheBibleMelts

Post by TheBibleMelts » #711816

blood
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #711817

you know, to pump their heart
TheBibleMelts
In-Game Game Master

Post by TheBibleMelts » #711818

also good vibes. so blood, and vibes. final answer.
conrad

Post by conrad » #711819

TheBibleMelts wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:04 pm also good vibes. so blood, and vibes. final answer.
blibes
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #711820

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:11 pm purple name
Sometimes it's yellow or orange-yellow too.
dendydoom
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dendydoom

Post by dendydoom » #711822

unsupervised access to the internet as a child
MrStonedOne wrote:I always read dendy's walls of text
NSFW:
conrad

Post by conrad » #711824

warbluke wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:30 pm
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:11 pm purple name
Sometimes it's yellow or orange-yellow too.
Those people don't admin the game what are you on about
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
Scriptis
Byond Username: Scriptis

Post by Scriptis » #711826

give players stockholm syndrome from grief and you win
Spoiler:

Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #711828

i have almost no experience with being an admin but i once crashed a minecraft server where i had mod rights by creating a huge pyramid with world edit (i got banned for that)
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
RareGambler

Post by RareGambler » #711830

TheBibleMelts wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:02 pmblood
"I was born in an admin family: my father was an admin, my mama too was an admin... even my grand-grandfather was an admin"

Aside from that, I'm mostly satisfied with your answers. They were honest and despite some kind of deleuzian indifference that is going on, I think I'm getting the whole picture.

One more question though: do you see MSO as, uhh, admins admin?
Cheshify
In-Game Game Master

Post by Cheshify » #711832

RareGambler wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:13 am
TheBibleMelts wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:02 pmblood
"I was born in an admin family: my father was an admin, my mama too was an admin... even my grand-grandfather was an admin"

Aside from that, I'm mostly satisfied with your answers. They were honest and despite some kind of deleuzian indifference that is going on, I think I'm getting the whole picture.

One more question though: do you see MSO as, uhh, admins admin?
Oh no, it's not OUR blood.

As for your second question, MSO is an Eldritch Entity that shows up and blasts things with his laser vision it's pretty awe inspiring.
Shout out to Riggle
Shout out to Dessysalta
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Post by Riggle » #711926

People provided some excellent answers and I can't really add much more.

Most of what admins do are resolving petty disputes and trying to make the game more fun, by for example running events.

Other than what was already said, clicking this link helps.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #711947

I think it depends on what you want out of it.

Some people become admins to hold kickass events, others become admins to enforce the rules that they don't feel are currently being enforced and so on and so forth, it's a huge spectrum.

Just love the community man that's the most important thing
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin

Post by dragomagol » #712054

RareGambler wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:13 am One more question though: do you see MSO as, uhh, admins admin?
Nah, that's more headmin domain than anything. MSO is generally pretty hands-off when it comes to admin affairs.
AKA tattle

Spoiler:
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #712065

i think i can usually empathize with both sides and i try to help out everyone in the way i can