British English vs. American English

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
Fayrik
Byond Username: Fayrik

Re: British English vs. American English

Post by Fayrik » #131297

Bottom post of the previous page:

DemonFiren wrote:Told ya ya'd need me.
DemonFiren for /tg/ official variable namer.
All new variables must be named, signed and approved by DemonFiren.

Seriously though, how about not changing other people's variable names to reflect your own culture?
If Remie had done this, the entire PR would have been closed with comments like
Fuck England trying to invade again muh freedom guns woo fuck england
Well it works both ways.
Fuck America, fuck the illusion of freedom, fuck guns, you get the picture.
Color or colour, whatever. Just stop the fucking one-upmanship.
invisty wrote:Talk about a storm in a teacup.
That's racist.
Spoiler:
I was going to continue my rant but then I saw this and fucking lol'd.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #131299

If it wasn't changed, it'd look like this
/var = colour thingys
/var = thingy color
and this triggers me even more
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #131317

you don't even code
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #131319

Excuse you, shaving corgis says otherwise
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #131321

mm it's true
asskek
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Asskek

Post by asskek » #131334

Fayrik wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:Told ya ya'd need me.
DemonFiren for /tg/ official variable namer.
All new variables must be named, signed and approved by DemonFiren.

Seriously though, how about not changing other people's variable names to reflect your own culture?
If Remie had done this, the entire PR would have been closed with comments like
Fuck England trying to invade again muh freedom guns woo fuck england
Well it works both ways.
Fuck America, fuck the illusion of freedom, fuck guns, you get the picture.
Color or colour, whatever. Just stop the fucking one-upmanship.
invisty wrote:Talk about a storm in a teacup.
That's racist.
Spoiler:
I was going to continue my rant but then I saw this and fucking lol'd.
but american english is objectively better
as we pointed out
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #131339

And America objectively lost a war against Vietnamese irregulars and Iraqi insurgents.

checkmate americans, checkmate.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #131355

i say we make a poll that says "what is your favorite color/colour" and whichever wins is the new var name
i vote for red
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #131356

PKPenguin321 wrote:i say we make a poll that says "what is your favorite color/colour" and whichever wins is the new var name
i vote for red
Green is my favorite red.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #131432

I don't think it really matters, and I wouldn't put "professional" in any sentence involving anything about tgstation13. We really shouldn't be getting pissed off about something as simple as the spelling of a word.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
THE MIGHTY GALVATRON
Byond Username: The Mighty Galvatron

Post by THE MIGHTY GALVATRON » #131443

Damn kids just get a thesaurus and look for a synonym for color! It ain't hard!
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #131444

THE MIGHTY GALVATRON wrote:Damn kids just get a thesaurus and look for a synonym for color! It ain't hard!
How about...
Spoiler:
hue
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Yoshmaster
Byond Username: YOSHMASTER

Post by Yoshmaster » #131517

Just combine the two, duh!
Color + Colour = Colouor
Aluminum + Aluminium = Aluminuminium
LiamLime
Byond Username: LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #131595

I use British English in speech and strict American English in variable names, methods, etc. Heck, you might find something like this in my code:

Code: Select all

private Color Color; //The player's colour
Using a standard is much more important than some petty nationalistic argument. In my opinion, the variables written in British English (Most of which were made by Urist McDorf), should be refactored to American.

This same argument happens in databases: is the table called "wp_users" or "wp_user". Just choose one and stick to it. In this example "wp_" is the prefix that signifies wordpress.
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #131609

LiamLime wrote:

>starting class names with a capital letter but then not using camelCase for variable names

for shame
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #131612

camel case is literally the worst invention of all time

CapitalClassNames
methods_with_underscores

All other methods are shit and you should be hung drawn and quartered for using them.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #131813

Australian English.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #131821

Ricotez wrote:
LiamLime wrote:

>starting class names with a capital letter but then not using camelCase for variable names

for shame
That's actually the correct way to do it in C# [1], which is the language I use most of the time nowadays. You use PascalCase for essentially everything except preprocessor directives (where you use underscore-delimitered upper-case) and method parameters (where you use camelCase). I think Java does use camelCase for the majority of these cases though, likely to make it easier to determine whether you are referending the class or a property/field. In the example I posted above, if I do...

Color.red; 
...there is no way to determine whether I am getting a static field/static property/constant from the class "Color", or the value of a normal property / field from the object called "Color"

So whether I'm referring to "private Color Color" or "private Color Color". Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of C#'s coding standards, but whatever. There are only so many ways to spell things and loads of different features the language provides, so a 1 to 1 mapping is not possible.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #131882

I've just stuck with the Java standard for most of my coding, but I switched to underscores for BYOND coding because that seems to be the most used one in our code base
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #132217

Stop being nerds, nobody cares.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #132238

MisterPerson wrote:Stop being nerds, nobody cares.
But it's my job to be a nerd :(
Poorman
Byond Username: ThePoorman

Post by Poorman » #132263

Game will run better if you use the american version.

It's the objective better answer.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #132280

MisterPerson wrote:Stop being nerds, nobody cares.
say this again after you've tried digging through unreadable code
Spoiler:
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #132388

Sticking to a language standard doesn't really help with readability though, unless someone does something like:

class Butt{
	private Color color;

public Butt(Color colour){
		color = Color.green;
		color.red = colour.red;
		colour.blue = (float)0x88 / 0xFF;
		color.green = Mathf.max(color.green, colour.green);
	}
}
But if they really do this then they deserve a very particular spot in hell... And yes, some people do that :( Sticking to a standard mostly helps when writing code which interacts with someone else's module or library.

Anyway, sticking to a standard helps with not having to look things up - for example if you are using someone else's library and you know it sticks to American English, you can be sure it's library.Color, and never have to look it up. When writing queries for databases it's the same - if you know all the tables are in singular, then you know to use "SELECT DISTINCT u.username FROM wp_user u, wp_ban b WHERE u.user_id = b.user_id", you don't have to look if it's wp_ban vs wp_bans or wp_user vs wp_users.

Of course people make mistakes and don't stick to their own standards sometimes... For example.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #132408

Rewriting everything to a single standard is an absolutely atrocious use of anyone's time.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #132418

Every competent IDE features the ability to automatically refactor-rename things. And assuming the code wasn't originally written by chimpanzees, it should work fine once refactored. Some languages (python, javascript, PHP, DM) can't easily be refactored though, due to the way they work.

In any case, you don't set out to standardize this one specific thing. You either do it along the way - EG while rewriting sections of code, or you set out to do a major code cleanup/refactor and this is just one part of it. Rewriting things can be a fairly common thing for backend/toolchain/engine people to do as new features are requested or bugs discovered.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #132603

just changing it to hue would work wouldnt it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #132620

Not to get too far into this but hue is just one of three components of colour.

There are 4 commonly used systems to describe colour:
- RGB (red green blue, used in LCD screens)
- CMYK (cyan magenta yellow black, used with printers)
- HSL / HSV (hue saturation lightness/value, used in colour processing/editing, the difference is irrelevant)
- Lab (Lightness, a channel, b channel; used in CRT TVs)

You can mostly convert from one to another using simple math, especially between HSL and RGB, which we mostly use.

So HSL has three values: Hue, saturation and lightness.
Hue: 0: red; 0.33: green; 0.66: blue; 1: red; (and all the colours in between)
Saturation: says how much of the colour there is (0: no colour (grey scale), 1: full colour)
Lightness: says how light the colour is (0: completely black, 0.5: full colour, 1: white) - this is where L and V differ, one goes black-colour-white; the other goes black-colour

Here's a typical HSL selector. On the vertical bar you select the hue (0 at the bottom, 1 at the top), the plane's X axis is saturation (from greyscale on the left to full colour on the right) and the Y axis is lightness (from black at the bottom to full colour at the top).

As I said, not to get too deep into this~
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #132656

LiamLime is correct; whether you spell it with or without the u, colour is still the most accurate word for just about thriving it's used for in the codebase
Players can and will create their own fun.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #132993

Color:

Because there exists built-in vars with the name of color, that we can't change, and if we must keep it restricted to 1 unified spelling, then it should be all or nothing.

That being said, this bullshit around "atomic" prs is just that,

bull
fucking
shit.

If you touch code that uses relative pathing, you are not only allowed to fix the pathing, but required to.

If you touch code that uses same line conditional statements (if (blah) return), you are not only allowed to fix it in the same pr as your feature, but in most cases, required to.

But if you change something to a spelling that one of the maintainers doesn't like, apparently that's when we start complaining about atomic prs?

Bull. Fucking. Shit.

Calling that one right out as a prospective influenced double standard.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #133172

what color is jim's red gun?
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #133175

Is this thread some big joke I'm missing out on?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #133194

yes, it's what happens when you develop in byond code too long
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #133232

I dont know what the fuck is going on but I'm enjoying it
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
LiamLime

Post by LiamLime » #133238

MrStonedOne wrote: But if you change something to a spelling that one of the maintainers doesn't like, apparently that's when we start complaining about atomic prs?
PRs get denied because of SPELLING? :D

EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #133253

Cheridan wrote:what color is jim's red gun?
Green.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.