PR#10893 Replaces The White Ship With Meta's Recovery Ship

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

PR#10893 Replaces The White Ship With Meta's Recovery Ship

Post by Steelpoint » #107564

The linked PR replaces the White Ship with the Recovery Ship

Link to PR: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/10893
This might be a contentious PR.

This PR replaces the abandoned White Ship with Metastation's Recovery Ship.

Ingame image of the Rec Ship.

Your thoughts?
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Re: PR#10893 Replaces The White Ship With Meta's Recovery Sh

Post by WJohnston » #107565

Very pretty. I like it.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #107566

this has way too much stuff, i prefer the white ship for the simple reason that it takes more work to get running again and lets the players fill in more of the empty space.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #107567

Define getting running? Both ships are fully operational from the get go.

I will admit Meta's ship is far more well stocked with equipment and other higher value items, hence why I stated this may be a contentious PR.

I'm willing to scale back some of the ships extra items if we agree it might be too much.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #107575

It is mostly the size, not the stuff, in my opinion. Having a mobile-ministation is fun, it is just really, really cramped, whereas the NT Medical Ship is massive by comparison. Like a cruiser to a frigate.
blobbernaut
Byond Username: Blobbernaut

Post by blobbernaut » #107580

I like it. Always nice to have cool stuff in space.

On Hippie there's a hard to get to ship with turrets on the outside that has a single drone part spawn. On the thing there's materials to fully complete research up to the point you need minerals, and scattered about are the parts for a full teleporter. I've never actually seen it used by the crew, ever, since there's no beacon. There's a xenobiology chamber, a kitchen, a bedroom, an SMES room, and a medical dispenser room, even. But I do enjoy sometimes spawning in as the drone there, fixing it up and desperately trying to get people to notice.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #107583

Remove the vending machines, 8 extra sleepers, dismantle more machines, leaving them without all the parts needed to complete them, and remove the central vertical dividing wall to leave a big open area for projects.

Can't see anyone arguing with it if you did that.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #107590

what sticky said, except make some of the rooms even more spacious.
replace the trays with dirt, too.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #107591

The 'sleepers' in the main room are actually just broken machines - they can't be used as sleepers, and are only good for deconstructing (I think they give five sheets of metal each?).
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #107592

Correct those sleepers are 'broken' in game and are only worth some metal.

The central wall is not much of a hindrance considering you can now deconstruct shuttle walls. But I'll look at the rest.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #107601

That's one super cool shuttle. Hats off to whoever mapped that one, it has all the makings of a cult base.

I feel that if anything were to be changed, perhaps make it less full of items, maybe by creating some hull breaches and emptying those rooms of items?
Mime: Depresso
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #107604

No hull breaches, that just will make it look ugly. The layout is perfectly fine since you can decon everything now (the middle wall for instance, I would decon every time, but I still think it's fine being there by default).
Needs less shit inside though - it's cluttered with so many machines and other bits.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #107605

A million times yes. And why shouldn't there be a bunch of stuff inside? It was a functioning ship at one point. The White Ship looks like an unfinished ship. This recovery ship actually looks like something that was abandoned.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #107611

In the sense that, why does an emergency NT medical ship have a fully functioning botany room?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107613

lumipharon wrote:In the sense that, why does an emergency NT medical ship have a fully functioning botany room?
Because it's fun, god dammit
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #107626

Why can't we have both?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107631

oranges wrote:Why can't we have both?
Only one open docking port on the station
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #107632

Just make it catastrophically crash into the other ship if it's already parked there.

That, or you know, make a new berth/let it park near the station like the syndie ship.

Hell, now that we have rotating shit working, we could make one park at one of the various external airlocks around the station.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107636

I'd understand if the current white ship was this really cool thing, but as it stands it's pretty shitty and only really used for antags to hide on or a way to easily travel to derelict. It's completely barren and has zero believability as a ship people would actually use. It tells a story. I can imagine a traitor murdering a crew and grabbing EVA gear and escaping via the rear airlock, leaving the shuttle adrift in space. Just take out the old white ship and replace it with this infinitely better version. Or maybe just make the current white ship crash into derelict or something.

As for changes, I'd add/remove some things to support the idea that a traitor murdered the crew and escaped via space. Make one of the hardsuit containers empty. Put some blood on the kitchen knife. Add a half-full beaker of some toxin in medical. Drain the retro laser of its charge. Maybe put some dangerous plant in botany.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #107693

Stickymayhem wrote:Remove the vending machines, 8 extra sleepers, dismantle more machines, leaving them without all the parts needed to complete them, and remove the central vertical dividing wall to leave a big open area for projects.

Can't see anyone arguing with it if you did that.
This, but replace the bar vendor and the botany vendor with a few bottles of drinks and some seeds - a couple that you can mutate if you're so autistic you'd do it without mutagen, one that's good for biomass (watermelon or pumpkin), and then some fairly standard kitchen fair. I'd probably make the seed spread something like ambrosia vulgaris, tomatoes, pumpkin, white beet/sugarcane, wheat, chanterelle.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #107695

Stickymayhem wrote:Remove the vending machines, 8 extra sleepers, dismantle more machines, leaving them without all the parts needed to complete them, and remove the central vertical dividing wall to leave a big open area for great big dirty cult bases.
I'm onto you, heretics.
Mime: Depresso
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107699

Made a shitty little suggestion sheet in ms paint

http://i.imgur.com/f3ioHQt.png
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #107744

This feels like a step towards metastation's infinite amount of resources. Another defib? Come on. Also it looks more like a cargo ship than a scout/pirate ship (if I'm not wrong the retro laser description says something like "used by pirates and smugglers"). I liked the fins and tail on the old whiteship.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #107746

Can you mark everything that's already broken so people stop going "GOSH! EIGHT SLEEPERS!"
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107751

Grazyn wrote:This feels like a step towards metastation's infinite amount of resources. Another defib? Come on. Also it looks more like a cargo ship than a scout/pirate ship (if I'm not wrong the retro laser description says something like "used by pirates and smugglers"). I liked the fins and tail on the old whiteship.
That's the thing, fins and tails serve no functional purpose on a spaceship. The current white ship isn't even functional in the slightest. It's an oversized, haphazard mess that is completely unbelievable as an actual, functioning ship. This ship, on the other hand, looks like a ship that's meant for long-term use in space. As for the resources, just cut out everything that isn't already plentiful on the station. How many rare resources are there on this ship that aren't already readily available on the station? Also bear in mind that you have go get an EVA suit, go to the teleporter, and locate the thing. Is an extra defib that medbay already has plenty of really too much of a reward for the effort? Has anybody in medbay ever thought to themselves "wow, we could really use more defibrillators. The ones all over medbay storage just aren't enough!" Just because this ship has more items in it doesn't mean that said items are valuable.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #107762

The reason I never redesigned the original White Ship when I did the moveable ship PR was because I wanted to keep the ship as is due to it being a small piece of history, since its never really been changed for a long time.

Now though I think the old White Ship is just fugly and could do better.

I might re add the White Ship as a non-movable ship somewhere on the z-level for old times sake.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #107829

Luke Cox wrote:Made a shitty little suggestion sheet in ms paint

If the retro laser was used as the murder weapon, why is there blood and gibs everywhere? Lasers don't cause bleeding.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107891

TheNightingale wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:Made a shitty little suggestion sheet in ms paint

If the retro laser was used as the murder weapon, why is there blood and gibs everywhere? Lasers don't cause bleeding.
Maybe he gibbed the bodies after he killed them so that they couldn't be identified. You get the general idea. It also balances out the fact that you get a free lethal ranged weapon from the White Ship by requiring you to break into a security office to charge it.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #107892

Luke Cox wrote:
Why can't we have two?
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107903

iamgoofball wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
Why can't we have two?
Because it's a lot of work for a ship that's kind of fugly anyways. If the current ship was really cool I'd be all for putting in the extra effort, but it just isn't worth it. I'm thinking that the old ship should be crashed into the tcom satellite and that's the reason it was abandoned.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #107921

Just do what metastation did.
Box white ship is still where it is, but immobile (and without the main loot, gun, hardsuit etc)
New ship is south west of the sat, on the same z-level.

Just keep this shit simple. Port it as it is, if people have issues with what's in it/the backstory whatever, do that in another pr.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #107983

lumipharon wrote:Just do what metastation did.
Box white ship is still where it is, but immobile (and without the main loot, gun, hardsuit etc)
New ship is south west of the sat, on the same z-level.

Just keep this shit simple. Port it as it is, if people have issues with what's in it/the backstory whatever, do that in another pr.
This seems pretty good to me