Hotkeys

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Hotkeys

I use hotkeys mode
31%
I don't use hotkeys mode, but I sometimes use the ctrl key to access the keys
9%
I toggle between hotkeys and normal mode (e.g. to use the text box)
No votes
(If you use hotkeys mode or hold the ctrl key for hotkeys) I use Z to activate in-hand objects
25%
(If you use hotkeys mode or hold the ctrl key for hotkeys) I use Y to activate in-hand objects
No votes
(If you use hotkeys mode or hold the ctrl key for hotkeys) I use the number keys to change intents
6%
(If you use hotkeys mode or hold the ctrl key for hotkeys) I use F and G to change intents
3%
I don't use hotkeys mode
19%
I don't use hotkeys at all
6%

Total votes: 32

Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Hotkeys

Post by Amnestik » #106997

So I've wanted to add a couple of extra hotkeys to the game (resist and walk), but the number of reachable hotkeys is getting slim. While I'll probably go with B and H, they kind of stretch your hand and take a little while to press. I noticed hotkeys mode has a couple of duplicate hotkeys that I could replace with them instead. I wanted to poll people though to see which ones are actually used, so I'm not removing a bunch of people's learned control scheme. I personally use Z and 1,2,3,4, so losing F, G and Y wouldn't mean anything to me.

We also have this strange practice of making every hotkey available for use with the CTRL key, regardless of whether hotkeys mode is already active. This means that certain hotkeys that correspond with windows shortcuts (copy and paste for example) can't be used without losing the CTRL variant. It makes me call into question the necessity of adding the ctrl+hotkeys in the first place (excluding ctrl+click to drag, or bolting a door as an AI, obviously). You don't need them if hotkeys are already on, and I think if people wanted to use hotkeys they'd just turn them on instead of needing to hold ctrl.

The poll is basically three polls in one, so while the results won't make sense as a whole, each of the three choices will be comparable to one another.

Edit: updated keyboard layout image
Last edited by Amnestik on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Hotkeys

Post by Incomptinence » #107002

I have hotkeys on all the time now but it took me a while to make the switch since due to odd preference in laptops with number pads on my part meant the old way worked damn well for me.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #107025

The most important hotkeys that I use constantly are: tab to toggle, WSAD to move, R to throw, Q to drop, and Z to use and X to switch hands. Sometimes even E to throw things in the pack.

I'd be livid if any of them changed after multiple years. The most important ones, I'd say, are tab, WSAD, Z/X/Q/R. E can be changed.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #107049

E Z X are already pretty good for what they do

The new resist hotkey stripping away easy copy functionality was annoying

F G intent cycles strike me as pointless when you have 1234, but maybe I'm biased because as a former WoW player I'm used to an excessive spread of buttons
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
EndgamerAzari
Byond Username: EndgamerAzari

Post by EndgamerAzari » #107059

I've not used many hotkeys, but having a reference ensures I will next time I play. For what it's worth, Y seems like the better choice for the "use in hand" command to me. At first I was going to say Z, but stretching a bit to press Y is either than scrunching up your hand to reach the Z key when you're in WASD mode.
Spoiler:
Shaps wrote:I never thought I'd see the day where someone tried claiming the moral high ground on drinking a bottle of cough syrup
TechnoAlchemist wrote:dumb baby boo boo "i wish I enlisted then mom would be proud" ballistics.
Saegrimr wrote:
Wyzack wrote:Remove players 2016, they ruin everything they touch
IM TRYING
Saegrimr wrote:
yackemflam wrote:It's like dish washing, someone has to do it.
MAYBE IF YOU'D QUIT SHITTING ON THE PLATE WHEN YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO GET UP TO GO TO THE RESTROOM AND JUST PUT THEM IN THE FUCKING SINK WHEN YOU'RE DONE
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Zip ties are best applied on assistants and other nobodies because of the exact reason they are disposable (applies to both).
An0n3 wrote:Azari for headmin 2015
He's an admin you can trust because nobody remembers to involve him in their conspiracies.
Drynwyn wrote:hbrahlrlahrlharlahr FEATURE CREEP
ShadowDimentio wrote:Instructions too complex, spaced the clown
Akkryls wrote:I mean, we are rightfully pissed off, but let's be pissed off for the correct reasons.
Falamazeer wrote:I am sufficiently outraged for you
Maccus wrote:You look like the dad every teenage boy doesn't look forward to meeting at his girlfriend's house
nsos wrote:When I was a teen and did the inevitable trying to suck your own dick thing I managed to get the head in my mouth and I feel like the rest of my life is me being punished for that
miggles wrote:is that supposed to be a trick question or just a dumb one
cedarbridge wrote:My first idea is that everyone just stops being faggots to each other but that's not going to happen, obviously.
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Most soap operas could be improved if every scene had a greyshirt in the background hooting "GIBE DE POOSIE BOSS" all the time
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:classic style is "shit on everyone from the greatest heights, so they cannot climb high enough to shit on you"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you can't just use meme to mean "thing I don't like" you goatherd
Saegrimr wrote:"lel just go explore make YOUR OWN fun wow do you have NO IMAGINATION back in MY DAY we used to shove twigs in our urethras and PRETENDED WE WERE KNIGHTS"
An0n3 wrote:Fucking crystal ass wind chime lookin' bitch.
Saegrimr wrote:It should be common sense but this is /tg/.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #107060

I play with the arrow keys and the block of six keys above it ("Insert" through to "Page Down"). I use Ctrl+1-4 for quick intent switches and Ctrl+E for equipping. I also frequently use Ctrl+Click, Shift+Click, and Alt+Click for drag, examine, and the superior alternative to right clicking that is the alt menu. For stuff like talking, I just type "say blah blah blah" into the bar. Middlemouse for swapping hands.

I don't really use the hotkey mode at all (as it is the inferior way to play), but if you ask me, the "5" and "6" keys are pretty easy to reach if you have your hands on WASD. I can see 5 being set to resist, and maybe 6 to stop pulling (since I can't seem to find a stop pulling key for hotkey mode).
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #107061

Alt click is indeed superior

Don't change current hotkeys without making them a pref, seriously

Z is a hell of a lot more convenient than Y for inhand use
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #107082

What Scones said. I think I'd bitch to no end if suddenly, my most used key were to migrate all the way over to Y. Besides, it works well being next to 'swap hands'.

Make them perf options if anything.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #107324

I use the arrow keys and block of six above and only ever hotkey mode for extended mining sessions
And I still murderbone the best. Hotkeys mode is a crutch for scrubs
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #107628

Stickymayhem wrote:I use the arrow keys and block of six above and only ever hotkey mode for extended mining sessions
And I still murderbone the best. Hotkeys mode is a crutch for scrubs
no wonder you're so unrobust

the CTRL thing is bizzare, I don't know where that came from