Get rid of the footprints

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Get rid of the footprints

Post by DrPillzRedux » #117763

They don't add anything but an ugly mess. The game already has blood trails.

thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Re: Get rid of the footprints

Post by sirnat » #117765

No

They add security a better chance of tracking down the corpse of someone.

Kill someone? Clean up after yourself!

You don't see murders irl where most of the time the killer didn't try to clean the blood off his shoes, clothes, etc.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #117766

No they don't.

They add people walking into any kind of spill and dragging it across the station. You can walk in bloody footprints and even leave more.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty

a correct post by pillz
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #117767

theyre going to be tweaked to be less obnoxious, dont worry.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #117768

You're getting a shitty response because I've had to regurgitate this fucking everywhere (Including coderbus right now, and I'm actually -very- riled up right now so you're getting the GOOD version)
1. I am waiting a week to get proper feedback
2. the amount of bloodprints per blood and what blood tiles produce footprints WILL be lowered
3. the sprites for them are being redone by WJ
DrPillzRedux wrote:You can walk in bloody footprints and even leave more.
Objectively false.
Stepping on bloodyfootprints will cause you to add more footprints TO THAT ONE TILE, provided you are entering or exiting that tile for the first time.
it does not put more blood on your shoes
it does not cause more footprint tiles
it does not spread the blood further from that tile.

Anything I've missed?
私は完璧
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #117770

Yes.

What does this add that blood trails can't?

a correct post by pillz
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #117771

DrPillzRedux wrote:Yes.

What does this add that blood trails can't?
Direction.

E/W and N/S blood trails are identical/very similar

Footprints keep track of:
up to 4 directions of having left that tile
up to 4 directions of having entered that tile

Not to mention some people have suggested allowing the detectives scanner to show the type of shoe
(Unique sprites per shoe is not possible, as it exponentially increases the number of images)
私は完璧
sirnat
Byond Username: Sirnat

Post by sirnat » #117774

Shoeprint scanning when?

Maybe generate random shoe sizes (They don't have to do anything to mess with gameplay. )

And put them in security records.

Idk maybe its complicated to do
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #117775

Ahahaha

When detective scanner uses for footprints was suggested (about 10 minutes ago) my first thought was a detective hunched over some prints saying "Size 15s, we're dealing with somebody with big feet... and by the looks of this crime scene, a big something else"

I do feel shoe sizes would be a bit too much, shoe type would be enough I feel (Jackboots, Clown shoes, Sneakers, etc.)
私は完璧
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #117776

The issue with this is that by the time anything is done with the footprints the person who left them will be long gone. You can scan them for a shoe type but then that doesn't help much. Change into one of the other few types of shoes on the ship or don't bother, since there's only a few types that everyone wears.

Except laceups or sandals.

a correct post by pillz
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #117778

hence why it wasn't the primary goal of footprints
the entire point was they're interesting, they look good (Subjective, but WJ's new sprites should definitely be more universally liked) and add a bit of flavour.

It's just annoying that it looks like the majority of the flack/hate has come from something I deliberately spent time making 100% tweakable, not anything that needs a major change or what-have-you.
the fact my original numbers were over the top shouldn't blanketly make the entire feature rubbish.

A funny situation could have occurred today and I can see it actually happening on occasion:
as a wizard today, Tsaricide EI nath'd someone, got bloody shoes, and walked and hid in a locker.
Nobody came by and saw or anything, but there were very obvious prints leading to the locker, which is a nice touch/piece of flavour
私は完璧
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #117779

I think they look horrible and the idea is unfitting. It was tested years ago and got removed. It's just rather pointless since every round devolves into the floors being ugly as hell. Not even aesthetically pleasing in the SHIT HAPPENED HERE sense. Even if it's tweaked it'll likely be the same.

Maybe make blood that can result in prints require a high amount of damage. You need to be seriously fucked up to lose enough blood that'd leave prints. No more having a nose bleed on the floor and having it look like someone was dissected. Give them a meaning to exist, show that someone really got screwed up.

a correct post by pillz
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #117782

I can restrict it just to pools of blood, yes, which already appear with increasing frequency at higher damages.
blood droplets can be made to produce no prints too, yes.

I'm aware of the 4 year old system, it's where the sprites actually came from, but I was not personally around to see -why- it was removed.
given the nature of things that happened around that time (Baymed port failures) I assumed it was remove for shitcode, so I tried my hand at it and produced decent code for the idea.
私は完璧
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #117787

Stepping in a pool of blood should probably make your shoes bloody.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #117789

These look really really terrible, I don't think making them less frequent will change that
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #117790

They're a great concept, they just need to be tidied up a bit. Make them a little less obnoxious and frequent.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #117798

We need dried borg oil piles for roundstart put in because the current ones leave trails basically meaning black robotics every round.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #117802

It's a bug that dried blood/motor oil splatters make footprints right?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #117823

Zilenan91 wrote:It's a bug that dried blood/motor oil splatters make footprints right?
It would be less ridiculously obnoxious if this were accepted as the case and fixed.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #117855

It would be alright if stepping into an actual puddle of blood/oil made your shoes bloody/oily, and only left your foot print IN THE PUDDLE.

Other wise, you get this.

Blood gets everywhere in this game. Multiplying it by any number is not nice looking, and does not add anything of significance to the game.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #117859

You can't use that round as an example. There was a blood ghost running around making invisible bloody trails. That's the maximum worst it can get.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #117876

Or we could have jokers dragging corpses around or just filling beakers with their own blood and splatting it on the floor. It takes one drop of blood to paint an entire room and it never dries or anything. An absurd amount of aesthetic sacrificed in exchanged for hypothetical murderer hunting.
Scones

Post by Scones » #117889

Can we get the revert re-opened? This has HAD it's chance, for sure. Everyone is sick of it, and better sprites will not solve the problem. Tweaking it will not either - It's just bad. Looks horrible, works horribly. A nice thought, sure, but there's a reason they were removed the first time around.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #117891

Scones wrote:Can we get the revert re-opened? This has HAD it's chance, for sure. Everyone is sick of it, and better sprites will not solve the problem. Tweaking it will not either - It's just bad. Looks horrible, works horribly. A nice thought, sure, but there's a reason they were removed the first time around.
I say we try the updated version with better sprites and less spread, and then see whether or not it still needs the revert.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #117894

you get nothing
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #117913

I think these footprints would be really nice if a single bloody tile did not produce so many additional dirty tiles. If I counted right, 1 bloody puddle will result in 16 tiles of bloody footprints(walking over the puddle twice) which seems very excessive. Something like 4 would be much more manageable.

I'd also like to point out that the disappearing blood pools are really bad for investigations. Yesterday, I was called into engineering to investigate some blood in there. Usually, I would use the locations and types of blood to make a guess about what happened. For example, a bloodpool under the shutters probably means that someone got squished while blood droplets and bloodpools usually mean that there was a fight. But with the footprints, all of these just turn into one giant pile of bloody footprints where you can't tell anything apart.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #118014

Tokiko2 wrote:If I counted right, 1 bloody puddle will result in 16 tiles of bloody footprints(walking over the puddle twice).
You did not count right.
a pool is 100 blood (a fresh pool any way, not a dried one)
you gain 50 each time you enter the pool, with it being permanently removed from the pool (hence why the blood disappears, the "blood" in the "bloody puddle" is gone, so you have a puddle of nothing)
you lose 5 blood per step, that's 100/5 = 20 steps, which was REALLY not my intention.

again, the numbers are FULLY TWEAKABLE
私は完璧
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #118061

Then let's fucking tweak them!
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #118062

Cheimon wrote:Then let's fucking tweak them!
Would do, except as I've regurgitated a million times, I'm waiting till the end of the week.
PRs to revert and change this have been delayed till the end of the week, so I'm following suit.
私は完璧
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #118090

if you're gonna tweak it, make it so walking over blood doesnt get rid of it anymore
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #118107

I really don't want to do that, because you're literally ending up with pools of nothingness then.
私は完璧
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #118110

What about turning it into a "dried pool of blood"?
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #118112

Arete wrote:What about turning it into a "dried pool of blood"?
Dried oil and dried blood shouldn't track BUT IT DOES
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #118365

This change hurts my detective game bad
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #118369

Oh so I can eliminate evidence AND make false trails with this. Way to stop that pesky detective Rems.
Scones

Post by Scones » #118388

Epic account

Good try, though
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #118391

literally as easy as looking at the signup date. Sorry bro
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #118392

You got me but eh edits.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #118480

Still in, still not updated. Waiting to pass judgement, but its current form is, again, dire.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.