Cybernetic Implants

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: Cybernetic Implants

Post by MisterPerson » #78741

Bottom post of the previous page:

Jacough wrote:
rockpecker wrote:
Jacough wrote:With energy gun implants you could make it so certain non EMP weapons like stunprods or tasers have a chance to overload the weapon making them unusable for a few minutes.
It would make sense for tasers and stun batons to temporarily disable the augs, at least.

Shocked doors should affect them like an EMP.
I like that. Also might be a little rng oriented but maybe ion storms and communication blackouts (because of the ionosphere anomalies) could affect eye implants. Maybe disable them for a short period of time and cause an annoying static overlay
That just sounds annoying more than interesting.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #78899

Sounds like a good reason not to jam Superman implants into your brain every shift and become immortal to me.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #119645

I have changed these with feedback in mind before, but I am looking to get fresh opinions/ideas, especially for the Reviver implant. I am thinking it might need a buff (just faster healing), but I don't have experience with them at all as I mostly play cyborg or otherwise never seek to get implanted.

So bump.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #119657

I love them, for the five rounds I have managed to get a set other than just the welding shield, they are quite spectacular. Do not expect much feedback based on experience, though. The requirements to get them are harsh (research levels + needing a surgery to install), so very few players have actually used or fought against users. I would consider the Reviver to be a nerfed heal virus that only works while in crit. Some of the implants (CNS, Reviver, Nutriment pump) are simply inferior substitutes (Hulk, Heal Virus, Weight Even virus), whereas others (Xray, Thermals, HUDs, welding shield) are a alternate version of something else (Xray power from genetics, HUD items, hardsuit helmets). The only one that is truly unique is the Anti-drop implant, as nothing else provides a similar function.

I can replace several of the implants with what is offered in Virology and Genetics. When you think of it, they are a fair alternative. The implants replace the rather brutal RNG mechanics required in Medbay with static, but difficult to attain goals. I have enjoyed obtaining and using them, but my experience is short and limited, as I have only ever had one or more of the strong ones (xray, CNS, etc) for five rounds since they were added. In each case, the rounds ended too soon for them to have made any difference - the very same case for Virology, and often Genetics without some sort of outside support.

The Anti-Drop implant is a truly amazing one if used correctly, as it is not as easy to lose your held item with one lucky Disarm click.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #119684

The biggest problem is that, ESPECIALLY as an antag, it's VERY VERY VERY risky letting anyone do literal brain/eye/etc. surgery on you, if you can even find someone to do it. Top that off with high R&D requirements for the more useful ones, meaning you have to invest 20-30 minutes + minerals into it, and there being no longer any self-surgery (fuck coderbus); and most people I feel would rather just print a SABR, BoH, welding mask, and NVs, and go to town on the station instead of doing something risky that will probably get you killed for minor benefit, whilst taking more time than the alternative.

That said, as nonantag most people aren't as cautious and don't give a fuck.

To be honest though, I really haven't seen it used in any noticeable sort of scale. Even though it's theoretically OP if you get all these implants at the same time, it almost never occurs that way, and even abusing anti-stun + etc. IS counterable by lethals, or an activated baton.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #119753

It's not abused because
1: It takes time, effort and miners to max out R&D.
2: Most people don't know how.

Also every time I've maxed out R&D as an antag, I chose not to use the xray/etc implants because I was also using emps, which would just wreck myself if I did.

However is is far easier and more effective to simply get a SABR (42 round mags are fucking top kek for murderbone), + infinte freedom and adrenal implants.
Good luck trying to kill a guy (with lethals, stuns or both) when they can stun break + super heal without limit (OD aside), all while shooting the every loving shit out of you with stun revolvers, xrays and SABR spam.

Loss of self surgery has killed the viability of the other implants - it's just another uncertainty on top of all the others to make it work, so it's not really worth it.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #119758

So you're saying it's okay to relax the tech requirements a bit to unlock the implants?
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #119775

Scott wrote:So you're saying it's okay to relax the tech requirements a bit to unlock the implants?
It won't change anything, since most use minerals, which ALWAYS takes around 30 minutes to acquire, if they come at all. Most miners come with one large batch of minerals anyway, they don't grab some low-tier minerals and come back, ever, so it's kind of irrelevant when that is the major bottleneck for R&D (every time I have to wait around ~5 minutes for minerals because I've done everything I could without them).

The main problem with implants is the removal of self surgery, flat out. It's why hardly anyone uses them, it relies on so many volatile time-sensitive factors, meaning you exhaust around 70% of the round just acquiring them as an antagonist, and there's no guarantee you won't be killed by your implanter, putting all your hard work to shame, when you could instead just go with something less volatile [BoHs, SMG/carbines/etc., NVs]. For a scale of the time required for R&D, the time to research to cap without minerals or upload boards + the wait for minerals is around 20-30 minutes, possibly resulting in fucknothing because mining doesn't mine, followed by another 10+ minutes of R&D, then finding someone to do surgery on you and counting on them not to kill you / to actually do it, which is going to take another 10 minutes at least). Relaxing tech requirements won't change how often they're used at all, hell, even the welding implant is barely ever used, despite being very good and cheap generally.

And no, the traitor surgery chair that was proposed is not an adequate fix, since it only grants one antag type with a 15%~ occurance rate the benefit of having viable implants. I do not find, given all these obstacles and the time expenditure, all the implants may be powerful, but they are balanced. 40 minutes of preptime in 60-70 minute rounds is a hugely risky move, and it SHOULD be proportionally rewarding. That said, they will never be used if self-surgery isn't re-added, and I honestly don't think that's too severe of a buff that every asshole in science will suddenly have a trillion implants, even when we HAD self-surgery, self-augs in Robotics were rare.

Singuloth could be released at any time, the shuttle can be called early, you could be randomly murdered in R&D, etc. More likely than not, the shuttle will be called at least once before you're even done R&D. It's what justifies as-is getting a bag that can carry anything, an SMG with the same damage potential as a revolver, with the sole penalty of having damage distributed across a chain of bullets, an ion carbine, a stun revolver, and NVs. On top of it all, most of this is even gated behind an emag or cocksucking cargo or the HoS for them on top of everything else instead of just an ID, because lolfiringpins.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #119784

Okay, I'll relax the tech requirements.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #119902

If you relax tech requirements you make other, way stronger shit easier to get.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #119925

No I don't.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #120008

If you lower the illegal req of thermals you do, other wise it's fine.