Spellbook rebalance

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Spellbook rebalance

Post by Xhuis » #124811

Spellbooks were recently changed. Instead of having 5 points, with each object or spell costing 1 point to purchase. This has recently been changed. Now, spell books have 10 points, with spells costing, by default, 2 points. Some minor spells, like Blind, Forcewall, and Smoke, only cost 1 point. This will, hopefully, encourage the utilization of wizard spells that rarely ever see use.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: Spellbook rebalance

Post by Alex Crimson » #124812

Is Smoke that super spammable spell that teleports you? If so then it shouldnt cost 1 point. I may be thinking of a different spell...

Its a good change though. Gives more flexibility to coders who add new spells. Same thing happened to Traitors Telecrystals a while ago.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #124814

Alex Crimson wrote:Is Smoke that super spammable spell that teleports you? If so then it shouldnt cost 1 point. I may be thinking of a different spell...

Its a good change though. Gives more flexibility to coders who add new spells. Same thing happened to Traitors Telecrystals a while ago.
Blink is the spammable teleport one. Smoke just makes a big ol' cloud of smoke. It almost never sees use outside of the one-use books made by Summon Magic.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #124815

I want staffs to only cost 1 but I don't really have a good reason for that other than people should use staffs more

Really good change overall
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #124820

The bonus smoke has over blink is that it makes people drop items. This feature often isn't abused.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #124821

PKPenguin321 wrote:I want staffs to only cost 1 but I don't really have a good reason for that other than people should use staffs more

Really good change overall
The staff of door creation only costs 1 point. The others cost 2.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #124834

Lich should cost a lot more. Being immortal skellington is way too good.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #124885

ei nath should probably also cost more than 2 pls.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #124886

Not after you messed with it bub.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #124887

i literally didnt change anything about ei nath

it was literally buffed by xhuis lol

E:

wait, nobody reverted razharas' meme-merge?
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #124888

I've yet to use several of the newer spells, like the Lich, but here's my proposal of how much spells should cost.

One (1) Spell Point Spells

Robed Spells
  • Repulse: Useful spell but deals no damage to targets, or minimal. Somewhat good for area denial but has a long recharge time.
Robeless Spells
  • Knock: Considering the wide array of teleportation powers the Wizard has, and the ease of getting a higher access ID card, I don't think this spell needs to be expensive.
  • Forcewall: Highly situational but useful spell, good for blocking single tile entrances or slowing down attackers. Not going to kill anyone for you and could block your own movement.
  • Smoke: As above, highly situational spell that is just as likely to blind you as your attackers. Good for sowing confusion but that's it.
  • Charge: I've yet to use wands so I can't say how important the charge spell is, but considering its a support skill I'll throw it in as a 1 spell point.
  • Horsehead Curse: Annoying to all hell but that's it, annoying, not lethal. Can also be removed by a tossing acid on yourself (remove your clothing first). Should be cheap.
Artefacts
  • Gem Hardsuit: Iffy on this, but considering how utterly powerful the Lich spell seems to be I don't think making this cheap is a bad idea.
  • Staff of Door Creation: Really useless as a artefact and should be cheap for what it is.
Two (2) Spell Point Spells

Robed Spells
  • Magic Missile: Standard issue spell, thus it should get a standard cost.
  • Lightning Bolt: Effective alternative stunning spell to the Magic Missile, good but different. Should cost the same.
  • Teleport: Teleportation is a bit clunkier to use and you already get five free teleports at round start (should be made into a spell but I digress).
  • Blink: Meant to be the lesser teleportation spell, and is generally looked over for Etheral Jaunt.
  • Flesh To Stone: A mini version of Disintegrate, useful when comboed with a Staff of Animation but otherwise this is just a non-lethal varient of Ei Nath! Not to mention its still possible for the victim to communicate via PDA.
  • Disable Technology: Neat but more likely to blind you when you forget your still wearing a headset.
  • Mutate: Neat spell but not too powerful.
Robeless Spells
  • Fireball: Nice attack, pretty good middle ground cost.
  • Mind Swap: Only really good for stealth wizards, maybe useful as a fallback if made cheap but I really dislike how Mind Swap can drag out rounds for an hour so I would keep it as a increased cost of two points.
  • Artificer: I guess it should cost a bit to spawn.
Artefacts
  • Staff of Change: Interesting wild card staff, great for causing confusion and chaos but otherwise ehhhhh. Still it's powerful enough to utterly ruin the station if used properly so it should have a standard cost.
  • Staff of Animation: For the Wizard that takes their time, can be great for building up a army of animated objects (and statues of former crew members).
  • Staff of Chaos: The true wild card staff, great for chaos but highly unpredictable. Powerful enough to warrant a standard cost.
  • Wand Belt: The wide range of wands in this kit grants it great versatility, but also great power. Not powerful enough to warrent a high cost but not weak enough to be cheaper.
  • Scything Orb: Really powerful support spell, the ability to ghost is ok in some situations but the xray vision granted on getting this spell is extremely useful. Could argue to make it cheaper but I find being able to see everything in any conditions (mesons for xray nightvision) is very powerful in its own right. But not powerful enough to cost more.
Three (3) Spell Point Spells
Robed Spells
  • Ethereal Jaunt: Controversial pick but it's next to Magic Missile in being the most picked spell, unlike MM this spell has many alternative teleportation spells on offer. This is the only teleportation spell that would cost three points.
  • Disintegrate: Yeah you heard it here first. Disintegrate is the go to pick for any new player, and for good reason. Its the most powerful offensive spell for newer players (I think Fireball is better but I know what I'm doing when I'm Wiz), not to mention this utterly blows up the body. Should cost a bit more for such power.
Upgrading Spells
I think when you upgrade a spell the upgrade cost should be half of the cost for the spell, when applicable. So if you upgrade a two point spell it should cost one point to upgrade. a Three point spell should cost two or one spell point, depending on the person who does this system if ever.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #124889

Disintegrate is no longer god tier so it should be 2 spell points. Once you couldn't use it while stunned /weak sends it lost a lot of its appeal.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #124890

Good point, again due to how impossible it is to play as a Wizard I've yet to try out Disintegrate post nerf, I do suppose losing the ability to kill someone in melee if stunned, and needing to land the hit physically, would bring Disintegrate in line enough to only cost two points.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #124928

Disintegrate is two spell points.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #124929

I was saying that in relation to my above proposed spell points.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #124939

While we're on the subject, can we get the Staff of Healing in on the list, please?
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #124942

Jaunt shouldn't cost 3. Wizard is basically unplayable without it. If anything, it should cost nothing or one due to how essential it is.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #124943

AnonymousNow wrote:While we're on the subject, can we get the Staff of Healing in on the list, please?
I don't think staves of healing are in the spellbook by default.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #124958

Xhuis wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:While we're on the subject, can we get the Staff of Healing in on the list, please?
I don't think staves of healing are in the spellbook by default.
I could add them, but they went from being a circumstantial support item to a powerful defense item once someone changed them to work on self targeting. I'll look into charge too, which is likewise a spell that has dangerous synergy but is pretty harmless by itself.
Zilenan91 wrote:Jaunt shouldn't cost 3. Wizard is basically unplayable without it. If anything, it should cost nothing or one due to how essential it is.
Jaunt is a crutch (Lich is admittedly also a crutch).
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #124961

>jaunt is a crutch
>is literally required to get around the station reliably without all access
>is your best escape ability
>gibs you if you come out of jaunt onto a holy tile
>there is no other ability in the wiz' arsenal that allows you to change places so reliably with a lowish cooldown
>crutch

It's required.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #124970

Wizards ain't tanks. Well dunno about lich but they traditionally haven't been.

They need to keep moving.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #124980

Jaunt should have a longer cooldown

Teleport should have a shorter cooldown.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕