Reagent obfuscation

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Reagent obfuscation

Post by Xhuis » #127237

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/12460
The pull request wrote:
  • Examining a reagent container no longer always displays reagents unless you meet certain requirements, instead displaying only the total volume of the reagents inside
  • Silicons can always determine reagents, as can ghosts
  • Science goggles allow wearers to view reagents, as well as other things with the scan_reagents variable (like the RD hardsuit helmet)
  • Chemists now start wearing science goggles
  • The bartender has science glasses, a pair of science goggles that look and function like sunglasses
Last edited by Xhuis on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Re: Reagent obfuscation

Post by TheNightingale » #127238

"The bartender has science glasses, a pair of science goggles that look and function like sunglasses"
You missed a perfectly good "beer goggles" opportunity here.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #127239

So the bartender now spawns with sunglasses that have the function of science goggles?
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127243

Zilenan91 wrote:So the bartender now spawns with sunglasses that have the function of science goggles?
Yep.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #127247

TheNightingale wrote:"The bartender has science glasses, a pair of science goggles that look and function like sunglasses"
You missed a perfectly good "beer goggles" opportunity here.
Fund it.

Also thank you, bartender/chef traitor is now actually viable again
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #127253

Well food didn't automatically show what was in it but yeah.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #127255

Bartender should also get a set that looks like a monocle tbh
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127257

I changed the way examining this way is handled, and now any clothing can allow you to see reagents. You can, theoretically, equip a pair of shoes and be able to see reagents.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #127260

Xhuis wrote:I changed the way examining this way is handled, and now any clothing can allow you to see reagents. You can, theoretically, equip a pair of shoes and be able to see reagents.
uh

what the fuck

is this a joke?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #127261

He could add the flag to the shoes it's code man. We aren't actually simulating advanced spectroscopic goggles or whatever.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #127265

can you make different goggles for the chemistry than the science goggles? the purple and orange clash and make me wanna throw uppppppppp
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #127271

Xhuis wrote:I changed the way examining this way is handled, and now any clothing can allow you to see reagents. You can, theoretically, equip a pair of shoes and be able to see reagents.
wait what
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #127275

the higher up in the object hierarchy you put the code, the less snowflakey it is

it's just good coding practice although in this case I wonder if it is really necessary
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #127278

It only took a billion years for this to happen. +++. Finally you can spike the bartender's drinks or make chems without people 5 tiles away immediately knowing 'HEY, SHE'S MAKING POISON!'
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #127282

I'm pretty sure this is a joke.

"+ scan_reagents = 1 //You can see reagents while wearing science goggles" (from /obj/item/clothing/glasses/science; since the beer goggles are /science/bartender, this applies to those too)

"+ for(var/obj/item/clothing/C in H) //If they have some clothing equipped that lets them see reagents, they can see reagents
+ if(C.scan_reagents)"
This checks to see if they have clothing equipped, and if this clothing has the scan_reagents flag (which =1 for /glasses/science, and =0 for everything else).

Does the RD hardsuit get this too? And do the beer goggles act as a research scanner?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127293

Bartenders get sunscanners, which are just sunglasses that can also scan reagents. The RD's hardsuit helmet and the CMO's hardsuit helmet can both scan reagents.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #127294

I dont think it was a joke, i think he was saying that codewise it is now possible to enable this for any other equippable item, which makes it versatile
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #127295

>sunglasses

seriously why not beer goggles you are missing a great opportunity here.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127296

MMMiracles wrote:>sunglasses

seriously why not beer goggles you are missing a great opportunity here.
They're not goggles, they're glasses. Also, any type of goggles would spoil the look of the bartender.
TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #127298

"Beer glasses" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #127352

make them reskinnable like the shotgun so you can determine your barstyle. classy joint or sleazy dive? monocle or biker shades?
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #127353

also make sure you can make them through RD.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #127390

I'm probably not going to make sunscanners producable through R&D in the same way that job-specific items like Lamarr or the hypospray aren't producable. Science goggles are already producable, so if someone wants to scan reagents, they can make one of those and use a welding helmet or hardsuit for flash protection.