Changeling Ability: Biodegrade

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
metacide
Byond Username: Metacide

Changeling Ability: Biodegrade

Post by metacide » #132167

Just a quick feedback thread regarding the new(ish) changeling ability biodegrade which Xhuis added back in September.

I saw a ling today which murderboned swathes of the crew and got an ERT sent after it that I was part of. It regenerated from death and biodegraded out of handcuffs very quickly at least twice, killing whoever was trying to dispose of it both times. What's the point in having cuffs at all if lings can ignore them? It seems rather unbalanced and makes the problem of ling being massively overpowered quite a lot worse, and a few people still seem unaware they can do this, compounding the issue further.
OOC wrote: Shaps: I agree that lings are ridiculous but you could have just welded him into a locker
Shaps: I will fully admit that being able to acid out of cuffs is retarded
Bluespace: >biodegrades out locker >armblades you to death
Bluespace: ur now ded shaps
Ktccd: it can? what the fuck is biodegrade, and how does it melt metal?
Bob Dobbington: ling has a new power to melt cuffs and lockers
Anonus Tanir: it's "escape all the things restraining you"
Ktccd: but that's what MONKEY WAS FOR!
Ktccd: MONKEY was the trade-off to escape shit!
Changeling really didn't need this buff, could Xhuis perhaps rebalance it or remove it if they have time?
MetaStation is currently running by vote or by default on both Sibyl and Basil
Feedback and suggestions are welcome in the MetaStation thread
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Re: Changeling Ability: Biodegrade

Post by Deitus » #132168

i fully agree with biodegrade being shit, i remember there was a round where a ling raided armory and i had the hos, warden, two officers and i all stunning this faggot and cuffing him but he kept biodegrading out. i know we shouldve just lasered him but that's not the point.

if we do keep it, which i really dont think we should, we should at LEAST make it cost way more to do so. i can understand needing it for lockers but 99% of usages for biodegrade are for cuffs, and getting out of them should have last resort consequences to them like monkey did.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #132169

Fun tip for dealing with lings, neckgrab them. choke em to death and then toss in the incinerator before they can regenerate. I think all they can do in that scenario is monkey to escape, but because biodegrade is so gud no one takes lesser form anymore
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #132170

Just remove it. There's no repurposing this ability. It's monkey form without it being shit.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #132171

biodegrade is fine.

Costs 30 chemicals and offers none off the other benefits last resort and monkey give.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #132172

the benefits to monkey are actually pretty low considering you lose all of your equipment and 100% out yourself as ling for the ability to ventrawl, which takes time. biodegrade bypasses all of that, and lets you destroy up to 3 pairs of cuffs. that's fuckin ridiculous.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #132176

Ling is boring to play as and frustrating to fight because none of your actions, reactions, or mistakes mean anything. Every single thing you can do to a ling they have a button to press to undo it

Shoot/stab/burn? Fleshmend

Tase/baton/prod? Adrenal

Send a robot? Aoe emp stun

Cuff them? Biodegrade

Somehow managed to kill them? Headslug+aoe stun

And so on. None of these abilities have any real cooldown, and the insane chem production means you can almost always use them.

They're just murder machines with a dozen "nah your attack didnt count I win" buttons.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #132194

I tried to make Biodegrade less powerful (i.e. costs 3 DNA points and 50 chemicals) but I was told that it would be too underpowered.
This is what happens when you make me buff things. I'm in the middle of a project right now, so I don't have any time to remove this. It should be an easy task.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #132196

The thing is all of these abilities have a tradeoff, if you give up lesser form for biodegrade then bolted doors are now capable of ending your game.

Ive never taken biodegrade but I wouldn't care if it was removed either, people just need to remember that you can't take all the ling goodies together. Armor, Headslug, etc. all take from some critical survival ability.

I actually like that you have to gauge a ling's abilities to kill it, we can tone down current lings but its still better than "an assistant with a stunprod is more powerful in combat than a changeling" meta we had before.

>Suspicious dudes walks up to you in maint
>Mouse over stunprod
>Armblade engaged!
>FZZZT he's on the floor
>Adrenals up
>Too bad you were already swinging again, down again instantly
>He's out of chems
>Cablecuff
>GG
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #132199

It is redundant and the only reason for biodegrade to exist is to let you uncuff and instantly wail on people with your innate weapons. Which isn't really fun.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #132202

hard counter to ling: internals of N2O/carbon dioxide (what the fuck is that)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #132223

I want to fix this, but I don't want to remove it. Possible thoughts I have are increased chem costs or DNA costs, in addition to maybe a small cooldown on using changeling abilities in general. What do you think?
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #132226

Xhuis wrote:I want to fix this, but I don't want to remove it. Possible thoughts I have are increased chem costs or DNA costs, in addition to maybe a small cooldown on using changeling abilities in general. What do you think?
cooldown is bad idea, it's already horrible enough with the transformation sting thing
if anything, increase chem costs
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #132228

Xhuis wrote:I want to fix this, but I don't want to remove it. Possible thoughts I have are increased chem costs or DNA costs, in addition to maybe a small cooldown on using changeling abilities in general. What do you think?

If you want to save this increase the chem costs, make it castable on others, but not on yourself. Melting the armor off of people would be a nice ability.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #132229

bandit wrote:hard counter to ling: internals of N2O/carbon dioxide (what the fuck is that)
Has to be the N2O for the knockout, CO2 suffocate can be fleshmended away
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #132242

make biodegrade melt off the cuffs and a few other extra items the ling is wearing :^)
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #132243

Currently have a balance PR up for this right now. Changes listed below.
  • Biodegrade now costs 2 DNA points
  • Biodegrade now deals 10 changeling genetic damage and must not have any genetic damage in order to use - this effectively gives the ability a cooldown and prevents spamming (most other abilities are not hindered by this)
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #132257

Apply N20/Anesthetic tanks. This kills the ling.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #132452

It also looks like something has happened with regen stasis, really fast resurrection going on now, lings are pretty impossible to keep down at all solo.

They've gone from being spoopy to being more dangerous in a fight than a team of flukes.
Luke Cox wrote:Apply N20/Anesthetic tanks. This kills the ling.
The chloral syringes from the brig are super deadly too if they don't have panacea.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #132502

Xhuis wrote:Currently have a balance PR up for this right now. Changes listed below.
  • Biodegrade now deals 10 changeling genetic damage and must not have any genetic damage in order to use - this effectively gives the ability a cooldown and prevents spamming (most other abilities are not hindered by this)
How can the ling cure its genetic damage?
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #132508

Oldman Robustin wrote:
Xhuis wrote:Currently have a balance PR up for this right now. Changes listed below.
How can the ling cure its genetic damage?
Fleshmend?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #132515

complete overnerf of an abillity that was barely better than monkey form to begin with.
Last edited by CPTANT on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #132518

Oldman Robustin wrote:The thing is all of these abilities have a tradeoff, if you give up lesser form for biodegrade then bolted doors are now capable of ending your game.

Ive never taken biodegrade but I wouldn't care if it was removed either, people just need to remember that you can't take all the ling goodies together. Armor, Headslug, etc. all take from some critical survival ability.

I actually like that you have to gauge a ling's abilities to kill it, we can tone down current lings but its still better than "an assistant with a stunprod is more powerful in combat than a changeling" meta we had before.

>Mouse over stunprod
>Armblade engaged!
>FZZZT he's on the floor
>Adrenals up
>He's out of chems
>Cablecuff
>GG
All it takes is to husk 1 or 2 brain dead assistants, then you can retool your powers on the fly, and go from max murderbon to max escape.

Also headslug is currently unironically OP.
I saw a FULL HEALTH armoured warden arrest a ling and drag it off.
The ling headburst or whatever it's called, then CRITTED and murdered the warden by biting him as a headslug, before the warden was able to recover from the stun.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #132545

CPTANT wrote:complete overnerf of an abillity that was barely better than monkeyf orm to begin with.
Ya I don't want is nerfed I want it removed, redundant ability that blurs the line between traitors and changies needlessly. ACTUALLY ON THAT NOTE REMOVE LING.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #132559

lumipharon wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:The thing is all of these abilities have a tradeoff, if you give up lesser form for biodegrade then bolted doors are now capable of ending your game.

>Mouse over stunprod
>Armblade engaged!
>FZZZT he's on the floor
>Adrenals up
>He's out of chems
>Cablecuff
>GG
All it takes is to husk 1 or 2 brain dead assistants, then you can retool your powers on the fly, and go from max murderbon to max escape.

Also headslug is currently unironically OP.
I saw a FULL HEALTH armoured warden arrest a ling and drag it off.
The ling headburst or whatever it's called, then CRITTED and murdered the warden by biting him as a headslug, before the warden was able to recover from the stun.
actually, popping a headslug actually makes you explode, so the explosion KO stun is pretty much RNG.
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #132564

Yeah, I dunno how explosion KO works, but the fact that you even can kill a fully armoured, healthy sec officer as a cuffed/dead/straitjacketed/whatever ling is pretty retarded.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #132568

Explosion KO is completely RNG-based. The explosion itself is extremely small, having nothing but 2 light radius. The only special effects it has on nearby humans is to stun them for one second and blind them for five seconds as well as three seconds of confusion (borgs are knocked out for three seconds).
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #132601

lumipharon wrote:Yeah, I dunno how explosion KO works, but the fact that you even can kill a fully armoured, healthy sec officer as a cuffed/dead/straitjacketed/whatever ling is pretty retarded.
considering the explosion stun is RNG this argument doesnt really mean anything because hypothetically you could, with good RNG, chain stunpunches on the warden infinitely until he died.
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #132651

Rebalance PR for Biodegrade has been merged. I'm still happy with Last Resort as-is, mainly because it destroys your current body.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #132834

You guys can whine about ling all day but almost nothing has come closer to a true "The Thing" experience as going lesser form/fleshmend/armblade/engorged/adrenal/dissonant.

You pop out of a vent in the corner of someone's department, go human, adopt a flesh disguise that is almost -identical- to what the real thing would look like. You try to get near them, maybe asking them a question to distract them, then pop the armblade and go to town, shriek if they have time to yell, they'll often give you a short chase but with a slowdown from damage you will usually catch them and maul them while they scream for help. Extract Sting while they're in crit, then monkey out before the lynch mob arrives. First couple victims might not suspect you but after a murder or two the crew will be aware of your tactics.

But the tactic isn't so easy to counter, people basically have to suspect anyone out of place in their department and it induces that FUN paranoia that we used to have when the janitor walks into xenobio and you don't know if hes just there to clean the blood or if hes an inhuman monstrosity that will tear you to pieces the moment he gets close.

IMO its everything Ling should be. Scary, paranoia inducing, dangerous, posing as its victims, yet still killable/defeatable in combat.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #132836

Oldman Robustin wrote:You guys can whine about ling all day but almost nothing has come closer to a true "The Thing" experience as going lesser form/fleshmend/armblade/engorged/adrenal/dissonant.

You pop out of a vent in the corner of someone's department, go human, adopt a flesh disguise that is almost -identical- to what the real thing would look like. You try to get near them, maybe asking them a question to distract them, then pop the armblade and go to town, shriek if they have time to yell, they'll often give you a short chase but with a slowdown from damage you will usually catch them and maul them while they scream for help. Extract Sting while they're in crit, then monkey out before the lynch mob arrives. First couple victims might not suspect you but after a murder or two the crew will be aware of your tactics.

But the tactic isn't so easy to counter, people basically have to suspect anyone out of place in their department and it induces that FUN paranoia that we used to have when the janitor walks into xenobio and you don't know if hes just there to clean the blood or if hes an inhuman monstrosity that will tear you to pieces the moment he gets close.

IMO its everything Ling should be. Scary, paranoia inducing, dangerous, posing as its victims, yet still killable/defeatable in combat.
I am pretty sure that lesser form has a rediculous cool down now.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #132838

TechnoAlchemist wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:You guys can whine about ling all day but almost nothing has come closer to a true "The Thing" experience as going lesser form/fleshmend/armblade/engorged/adrenal/dissonant.

I am pretty sure that lesser form has a rediculous cool down now.
Its only like 20-30 seconds. It's definitely the weak spot in the build since you can't adrenal as a monkey and monkeys seem to get KO'd by even a stiff breeze.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #132849

really? When was a cooldown on lesser form added?
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #132868

CPTANT wrote:really? When was a cooldown on lesser form added?
When the cooldown on everything fun related to Changeling was.
Like the transformation sting 2 minute(?) cooldown from using any other changeling abilities.