nerfs dihydrogen monoxide

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Nerfing slips

Yes
36%
No
50%
Abstain
7%
what the fuck is dihydrogen monoxide
7%

Total votes: 28

newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Re: nerfs dihydrogen monoxide

Post by newfren » #131805

Bottom post of the previous page:

Saegrimr wrote:
invisty wrote:We need some sort of no-drop stun where the victim doesn't drop their stuff.
I'm pretty sure theres a "paralyze" which is what either the beepsky smash or neurotoxin bar drink does. I forget which.
Beepsky Smash only makes you drop things, it doesn't do anything else, whereas bar neurotoxin is just a really long lasting stun which will also make you drop things and is really good.

EDIT: Also I think the premise of both this thread and this pull request is really dumb and I don't support this nerf!
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #132934

Kor wrote:Yes you can see them spraying it but you are then forced to walk meaning, they will pretty much always escape. It's extremely difficult/near impossible to pursue someone with a high capacity area denial weapon that they're likely immune to.
Pretty much. And you might not even have been around to hear the water being sprayed on the floor in the first place. I don't like it.
duncathan
Byond Username: Dunc
Github Username: duncathan

Post by duncathan » #133051

I made him water down the nerf (heh) and I yolomerged it
This isn't your regular old yolomerging though; dunc brand yolomerging comes with a money back guarantee if you don't like it by the end of the week
Players can and will create their own fun.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #133062

duncathan wrote:I made him water down the nerf (heh) and I yolomerged it
This isn't your regular old yolomerging though; dunc brand yolomerging comes with a money back guarantee if you don't like it by the end of the week
Don't like it, also not in the spirit of the poll. It's still slashing the stun in half (from 4/2 to 2/1), which is a pretty massive nerf.

We all know nothing gets reverted in this game, even if people dislike a change, unless there's a massive outcry. So yeah, no.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #133064

Amelius wrote:
Don't like it, also not in the spirit of the poll. It's still slashing the stun in half (from 4/2 to 2/1), which is a pretty massive nerf.

We all know nothing gets reverted in this game, even if people dislike a change, unless there's a massive outcry. So yeah, no.
It's pretty shit if we've gotten to the point where we can't trust our own maintainers to keep their word.

Change was for the better anyway.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #133066

MMMiracles wrote:It's pretty shit if we've gotten to the point where we can't trust our own maintainers to keep their word.
I don't trust the maintainers as far as I can throw them, and neither should anyone else. They've shown time and time again that they'll merge whatever they feel like merging, regardless of popularity - Cheridan is probably the best example of it, who quickmerged the removal of nuke op implants and firing pins despite no one thinking that they were a good idea, and defended the removal of nuke op implants for months, only eventually being fixed by goof of all people. Plenty more examples of that sort of thing happening for years since I've been here, and honestly, I'm sick of it. Goofchem is probably the best example, where it was quickmerged despite being a buggy broken mess for almost half a year, and despite pretty much everyone calling for it to be reverted, it was never.

The primary reason is it's a pain to revert things, and becomes more of a pain over time due to code conflicts.
duncathan

Post by duncathan » #133067

Amelius wrote:

The poll has been up for over a week and its results were mixed. Additionally, the poll was for the original nerf values, so there may be more people open to the change after it was made 2,1.
duncathan

Post by duncathan » #133068

Amelius wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:It's pretty shit if we've gotten to the point where we can't trust our own maintainers to keep their word.
I don't trust the maintainers as far as I can throw them, and neither should anyone else. They've shown time and time again that they'll merge whatever they feel like merging, regardless of popularity - Cheridan is probably the best example of it, who quickmerged the removal of nuke op implants and firing pins despite no one thinking that they were a good idea, and defended the removal of nuke op implants for months, only eventually being fixed by goof of all people. Plenty more examples of that sort of thing happening for years since I've been here, and honestly, I'm sick of it. Goofchem is probably the best example, where it was quickmerged despite being a buggy broken mess for almost half a year, and despite pretty much everyone calling for it to be reverted, it was never.

The primary reason is it's a pain to revert things, and becomes more of a pain over time due to code conflicts.
Give me the benefit of the doubt, please. I'm a brand new maintainer; you likely don't even recognize me unless you hang out on coderbus. This is my first controversial merge, and while you may not have trust in any of the other maintainers for whatever reason you may have, I doubt you have any reason to distrust me.
I'm new to the whole "maintainer" thing and ultimately I want to be on the players' good sides.
adrix89
Byond Username: Adrix89

Post by adrix89 » #133077

I remember when water was 8 stun, good times.

That said I don't see the point of this nerf. There is a reason we have no slip shoes and careful walking.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #133080

Yes, let's make slipping stun you for so little time I can't even take the bike horn out of my pocket and click on someone

Thanks maintainers. You guys are the best.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
duncathan

Post by duncathan » #133089

ShadowDimentio wrote:Yes, let's make slipping stun you for so little time I can't even take the bike horn out of my pocket and click on someone

Thanks maintainers. You guys are the best.
Like I said, if general public opinion after a few days on live is negative; I'll buff it back up
Get mad at me if I break this promise
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #133090

People acting like water is the only slipping item.

RIP max potency banana peels
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #133093

It's the EASIEST slipping item. Max bananas are great, but they're behind work in botany, so they aren't used as much.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #133094

>work
>1 beaker of mutagen can get it

Don't forget Lube or soap.

If you find it unfair or not right please look at the PR for all my reasons why water was unbalanced for what it was.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #133102

>widely available anywhere on-station (sinks, watertanks, chem machines, ect)
Yes but spray bottles aren't. There are like, 3 easily available ones, and 3 locked away.

>can be applied anywhere by any reagent-holding container at an instant
I've never seen anyone do this.

>requires no prep-work unlike every single other stun past "I can fill a spraybottle/beaker/bucket up at a nearby water source"
Stunrods don't take preperation, they take like two seconds to build

>unlike every other slip or stun, its barely noticable (don't tell me you're capable of multi-tasking between combat, inventory management, and able to notice a slightly highlighted tile during a clusterfuck situation)
In a clusterfuck situation any stun in the game is better than slipping UNLESS you're trying to chase them, which is the only time it's better.

>guaranteed push on a person, causes slight brute damage and forces the slipped to throw whatever is in their hands away from them
Brute damage is irrelevant, and the throwing thing isn't that useful compared to them dropping it from a stunrod. Also what idiot holds their weapon when chasing someone, that's just asking for a disarm

Basically

Stunrod
+Stun on hit
+Easy to make
+Rechargeable all over the place
-Have to melee
-Low power capacity

Water Bottle
+Stun if they run over the tile
+Spammable
-Can be avoided by walking
-Can stun yourself if not careful
-Can't stun people if they're aware
-Loud
Last edited by ShadowDimentio on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #133103

MMMiracles wrote:>work
>1 beaker of mutagen can get it

Don't forget Lube or soap.

If you find it unfair or not right please look at the PR for all my reasons why water was unbalanced for what it was.
The fact is, the majority voted not for 'a nerf at the current proposed values', but whether or not to nerf slips at all. There is a massive difference between the two, and you are confusing the latter for the former, yet we pushed the PR anyway with slightly less retarded values.

If the poll was something like 'how long should slips stun for', we'd notice that very few people actually support your proposed values, and more people support closer to past values. 'Nerfing slips' (yes) encompasses everything below 4/2 extending to 1/1, whereas 'no', only encompassess the old values of 4/2, yet it was still ruled in majority, but we still nerfed them to the ground.

Reading comprehension, motherfucker.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #133105

rip prisoners actually having a method of overcoming guards in perma.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #133108

What is soap?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133112

Soap ironically was nerfed long ago by another particular coder to be equal to water.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #133116

Amelius wrote: The fact is, the majority voted not for 'a nerf at the current proposed values', but whether or not to nerf slips at all. There is a massive difference between the two, and you are confusing the latter for the former, yet we pushed the PR anyway with slightly less retarded values.

If the poll was something like 'how long should slips stun for', we'd notice that very few people actually support your proposed values, and more people support closer to past values. 'Nerfing slips' (yes) encompasses everything below 4/2 extending to 1/1, whereas 'no', only encompassess the old values of 4/2, yet it was still ruled in majority, but we still nerfed them to the ground.

but we still nerfed them to the ground.
>but we still nerfed them to the ground

I'm assuming the basis for an item being of any value is a definite line between long enough to cuff or not?

Jesus people its like you never heard of a 'follow up' when it comes to incapacitating someone.

The whole 'the poll didn't show what the nerf actually is!!' is a retarded statement considering literally anyone could click on the PR link and look at the whopping 1-line change to see what happened. If people were voting 'yes' or 'no' without actually looking at the proposed changes then its not my fault.

Water being as viable as it was with as much convenience to obtain and use was retarded, as it essentially out-shined every other method of slipping.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #133119

It didn't just outshine any form of slipping, it outshined every form of stunning. Tasers only have 5 shots. Space Cleaner sprayers have 25, and each spray of 10 units of stunned for one less second than a literal bolt of electricity??? It was retarded.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #133121

MMMiracles wrote:The whole 'the poll didn't show what the nerf actually is!!' is a retarded statement considering literally anyone could click on the PR link and look at the whopping 1-line change to see what happened. If people were voting 'yes' or 'no' without actually looking at the proposed changes then its not my fault.
So basically you're saying that 'I intentionally misguided the phrasing of the poll to drive extra votes in my direction. If they didn't fully explore the PR and so forth, and didn't answer the question dishonestly on purpose, it isn't my fault. (i.e. if they support a slip nerf but not to the extent you propose, such as what a couple of people responded here, it's then THEIR fault if they answer the poll honestly). Also my opinion is more valid than the majority, and a majority voting for 'no' is still a vote for slashing the stun in half anyway'.

Anyways, perma'd prisoners now have zero ways of breaking out now. Water is useless, you can't even strip and item from them, and tabling is useless. Soap has a stun equivalent to water, so that's useless too. Perma is now unescapable. Good job.

Edit: Also, democracy only matters from your perspective iff it's in your favour, otherwise democracy is irrelevant. In fact, you seemed VERY confident that the majority wanted such a severe nerf, when that is simply not true, based on the obfuscated, vague polling still winding up with a clear majority against it. These days, it seems a majority against a nerf is not sufficient, you require a supermajority otherwise it'll pass through anyway.

God, just fuck this server already. It gives me headaches reading both of your dreck.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133124

Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #133126

I mean if you're gonna misconstrue my words then yes that's exactly what I said about the poll.

Its literally a 1-line change and if people are stupid enough to vote on a poll without looking at what the poll supports then I think we have bigger problems in this community than the stun time of a puddle of water.

Perma is still well escapable. Water wasn't the key factor in 99% of prison escapes. It was a mixture of third party support, preparation, or other (security incompetence). The same officer that was dumb enough to let himself get slipped without at least getting a call for help out is probably the same officer dumb enough to get tabled by said prisoner.

I wasn't confident in people wanting this nerf as its pretty fucking obvious from the poll and the PR that the reaction was mixed. A vocal minority and 9/12 vote on a server that caps on 80-90 average on a WEEKDAY is far from a 'majority vote'.

It was advertised on the server multiple times, both this thread and the PR. If people didn't give enough of a shit to voice their opinion past the 3-4 who were constant about it, then I guess thats just how democracy works, isn't it?
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #133139

This merge was dumb.

After constant fucking bitching for literally years about mergin shitty PR's, we finally have a system to test shitty PR's, so people on the live server can say they're shit so it never actually gets merged, yet we're ignoring the system and shit gets merged anyway. Why?

The only terrible change that actually ever got reverted that I caneven remember is steelrifles, and that took months of eye gouging and constant changes to try avoid a revert.
We're still stuck with dozens of changes that we were promised "can be reverted", but of course never were.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #133142

In duncathan we trust.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #133146

Well doing a rough headcount of commentators in your pull we appear by my reading have 18 individuals clearly against the change (a fair few of whom don't like slips but think you went too far), four people taking the piss in ways that don't lend support to either side, eight in favour and one guy I just couldn't figure out fully. In the thread we have more mixed results but the result is in the negative 13 against, 9 for and one suggestion without weighing in. I may be wrong in this poor counting / misreading a comment etc just having a look through. As you know you also lost the poll even if the margin wasn't "big" enough for some. I can't really find a place where you won majority support and I think you are just imagining it. Sever polls are still a thing if you want to use them but please stop pretending it was just 4 people speaking against this that is absurd. Why does constantly posting matter do you think I changed my mind in the meantime to support you silently? Sheesh.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #133167

Water was absurdly powerful before, for its availability. I do think we need to make soap actually worth something, though - as a slip, they're harder to get than water, and more obvious. Maybe keep water nerfed (or buff it a little, but not as much as it was pre-nerf), but revert soap changes to a second or two more?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #133188

I wouldn't mind buffing soap by a second or two tbh. You can pick it up, unlike water, so you just have to stand next to it and click on it to counter it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

duncathan

Post by duncathan » #133894