blobbernauts need a cap

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
deputi
Byond Username: Deputi

blobbernauts need a cap

Post by deputi » #148258

Player controlled blobbernauts are okay, but they aren't costly enough for the amount of havoc they can wreak and pic related happens. I think capping blobbernauts would fix this because it would actually weaken the blob when a blobbernaut is killed.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Re: blobbernauts need a cap

Post by Zilenan91 » #148259

Yeah it eventually gets to a point where there are so many blobbernauts that the crew can never defeat them. They need to be capped at 3 per blob at the max.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #148271

Honestly I think the price of 20 is way too cheap for how good they are
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #148272

I don't think making them cost more will do anything, it'll just make people spend more on them since they'll be just as good. A cap would work perfectly for this.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #148273

A factory node shouldn't make nuggets while a blobbernaut is alive, and one factory node should only support one naut at a time.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #148274

Just make it cost more which will work because blobs actually need to consider their resources unlike RND where we set out to trivialise it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #148275

I would go back to the system where making the naut killed the factory tbh.
currently you can just keeping shitting out nauts from the same factories with a relatively short CD, with regular spores getting shat out in between.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #148287

i'd prefer if we rolled back to before blobbernauts were sentient, scaling wasn't shit, split hivemind was still a thing, and blobs could pop early
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #148354

Personally I think sentient blobbernauts are causing a lot of balance problems for blob. You can just sabotage the station in so many ways with a sentient mob.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #148365

played as blob

blobbernauts for 20 when they dont consume the factory is insane
sentient blobbernauts is a huge buff in itself
20 is way too fucking cheap, make it like 50 or something
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #148388

PKPenguin321 wrote:i'd prefer if we rolled back to before blobbernauts were sentient, scaling wasn't shit, split hivemind was still a thing, and blobs could pop early
Sadly, I doubt that will happen.
Sentient blobbernauts are a huge problem and if the blob deploys them, it totally shifts the focus onto the nauts.
It's not blob mode, it's blobbernaut mode. Blobs without blobbernauts get wrecked, blobs with blobbernaut spam can hold even the weakest position.
Possible solutions:
- cap on the number of blobbernauts (remember, this cap used to be ONE)
- make blobbernauts unable to pull
- destroy the factory upon summon
- increase blobbernaut cooldown (by a LOT)
- make them require proximity to the blob (maybe via healthloss/tick when not on a blob tile?)
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #148396

I would really prefer making them non-sentient again.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #148405

Well, how is the blob win rate being effected by this?
If it's still sub 40%, then I think they are a fine addition
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #148420

I dunno it is pretty new. Last stats were generated 9th of January and win rate for blob was about 23%. Low sample size though probably because basil don't blob but still like 500 wizard versus 50 blob rounds is a tad strange considering the 12.5% vs 9.4% probability.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #148432

Helios wrote:Well, how is the blob win rate being effected by this?
If it's still sub 40%, then I think they are a fine addition
That not how balance woooooooooooooooorks
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #148433

Like the other guy said.

Just add a counter for whenever a blobernaut isn't standing on a blob tile, and have it be like 10 brute a second.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #148434

But that would be awful. That would kill any usefulness they might have ever had... unless they healed on blob tiles to compensate.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Actionb

Post by Actionb » #148448

Zilenan91 wrote:But that would be awful. That would kill any usefulness they might have ever had... unless they healed on blob tiles to compensate.
Blobbernaut, as spammable as they currently are, should be considered expendable.
A big problem of the current meta is that once a critical mass of blobbernauts has been reached, it's GG. Another is that blobbernauts allow the blob to strike at far away targets. Again, suddenly the mode is about blobbernauts - and not the blob that is two screens away from the actual combat zone.
By taking health damage, they can still defend the blob, but can't run and go ATATATATATA on that scientist working on xrays on the other end of the station.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #148450

yeah blobbernauts should be considered expendable, but that's not what they are. They can single-handedly carry a blob.

I think a good way to balance them would be to make them heal while on blob tiles, and take damage while off of blob tiles, and also make them capped at 3 per blob. A meatshield basically that can fight people who get near the blob.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #148479

Destroying the factory or giving them a dedicated 'spawn' blob block could work, tying them to the blob. Blob could return to said tile to regenerate, and if the origin tile gets destroyed, the blobnaut tied to it would crumble regardless of health? Probably put a range of 30 tiles or so that the blobnaut can freely move about without taking damage, but getting farther than that would would take ~5% health every few ticks, so they'd at most be able to venture away from their spawn tile for 2-4 minutes depending on lag. Blobs would need to be a bit more strategic in placing these tiles. Moving these tiles would be possible, at a cost of blob resources though and as well as a casting time on it so they couldn't be yanked away instantly if the crew starts making progress on the node.

Giving them a max Blobnaut cap would be fine, but if it's lower than 10 then the blobnaut needs some buffs or changes, starting with darkvision and blob hivemind.

The idea of taking damage on nonblob tiles strikes me as counter-intuitive, blobsnauts are supposed to be the heavy hitters, if they can't reasonably leave blobtiles to attack and disuade attackers they become useless as crew could just play hide and seek with blobnauts to force them to drain their own health.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #148481

Nah, Blobbernauts would be perfect at a cap of 3. Their purpose currently is to make sure you survive that early/medium game so you can expand enough to win the game.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #148482

A cap wouldn't help when the blob can just create fresh ones the instant one dies.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #148490

or we can not cap and instead roll blob back to a more decent revision
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #148519

Personally I think blobbernauts are fucking dumb.

In theory it's good, but in practice it makes a cycle where every blobbernaut is a catatonic crewmember corpse, and the more of those there are the harder it is to fight the blob, which in turn makes more blobbernauts which make more catatonic corpses and so on.

Capping them won't fix this. Hell, it'd make it worse because then instead of the crew all playing blobbernaut, they'd just be ghosting around, hoping a blobbernaut dies so they can play one.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #148538

ShadowDimentio wrote:Personally I think blobbernauts are fucking dumb.

In theory it's good, but in practice it makes a cycle where every blobbernaut is a catatonic crewmember corpse, and the more of those there are the harder it is to fight the blob, which in turn makes more blobbernauts which make more catatonic corpses and so on.

Capping them won't fix this. Hell, it'd make it worse because then instead of the crew all playing blobbernaut, they'd just be ghosting around, hoping a blobbernaut dies so they can play one.
This is a problem with pretty much every ghost role (notably swarmers), and isn't exclusive to blobbernauts. Your point is still valid, though.
Spoiler:
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #148588

ShadowDimentio wrote:Personally I think blobbernauts are fucking dumb.

I haven't really thought of that. Good point.
The more people the blobbernauts kill, the more ghosts will want to be alive again. Once you have been a blobbernaut, you cannot go back to being anything else.
The more people are dead, the less likey it is to be defibbed/cloned by another crewmember, so the choice of becoming a naut or not is not a hard one to make. Considering that blob mode is all about fighting a war of attrition, this is a classic snowball.

When blobbernauts were introduced, they were kind of a fire-and-forget shocktrooper. As a blob, you used them to scatter a group of people that were a danger to you, buying you some time. The more I think of this blobbernaut business, I want it to be like in the early days again.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #148610

blobnauts needs to just be removed. they're unfun, unbalanced, and can be spammed.

I just finished a blob round and people in deadchat were asking for a 'never for this round' button on blobnaut because of how many the blobs were churning out.

This also just encourages half-ass fighting the blob and dying so you can play as one. We have a variety of items to bring players back into the game that are indifferent on gamemode and don't give people antag status [and the ones that do <gateway> don't give them simple mob benefits AND high HP], and blob already has split mind to bring that one player who badly positioned themselves the chance to get back into the round.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #148613

Split was removed. Blobbernauts are the only way the blob side can get more players back into the round. I disagree with you, blobbernauts are VERY fun to play. They are also interesting to fight, it is simply that fighting an army of them can be a bit too much. They do not need to be removed entirely, perhaps just capped. I am a major fan of things that allow ghosts to have a role in things, else the salt will simply collect and prematurely end the round by causing restart votes/admin spam due to all the complaining.

EDIT: Abolish the popup system in favor of the alerts version. It is much less distracting and is much more tolerable when spammed.
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #148639

Gun Hog wrote:They do not need to be removed entirely, perhaps just capped.
A cap just wont work. People becoming a blobbernaut cannot go back to being human to fight the blob. A cap would just slow down the rate at which corpses turn out to be without a soul. Unless the spawned blobbernauts are really cautious (maybe due to the health loss when away from a blob tile?) and never die, you still get less and less people fighting the blob - not only because they're dead, but also because they simply cannot do anything else anymore but be a blobbernaut and by that, help the blob.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #148827

The thing is that a cap will reduce the amount of people willing to ghost to try and play as blobbernaut, since the chances of getting the role will be much lower. It will partially work.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #148830

anyway the cost of 20 is just waaaay too low.

You can either spawn 4 pieces of blob or spawn a blobbernaut.

yeah.....
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #148950

Is there any way to code the resource cost of blobnauts to be variable? Cost of new Blob naut is 20+(15x) where x= number of active(alive) blobnauts? So, blobs could field as many blobnauts as they want, but if they get a lot of them its probably going to be cheaper and more effective to just expand their nodes or make factories instead?
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #149097

Joan updated:
Blobbernaut creation costs 30 points, and does much more damage to the factory.
Blob factories regenerate at half normal rate.
Blob reagents tweaked;
Ripping Tendrils does slightly more brute damage, but less stamina damage.
Lexorin Jelly does less brute damage.
Energized Fibers does slightly more burn damage.
Sporing Pods does slightly more toxin damage.
Replicating Foam will try to replicate when hit more often.
Hallucinogenic Nectar does slightly more toxin damage and causes hallucinations for longer.
Cryogenic Liquid does more burn damage.
Synchronous Mesh does slightly less damage with one blob but massive damage with more than one nearby blob.
Dark Matter does less brute damage.
Sorium does slightly less brute damage.
Pressurized Slime has a lower chance to emit water when killed and when attacking targets.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
deputi
Byond Username: Deputi

Post by deputi » #150011

Result of the "nerf"