Traitorsec 2: Electric Boogaloo

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Traitorsec 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Drynwyn » #150461

First of all, let me be clear: I am not advocating a return to the days of sec being as likely to be traitors as anyone else.

Now that that's out of the way: For those of you too young to recall, it wasn't always the case that you were certain you could trust your local security officer with 100% certainty. Sec were as likely to be traitors as anyone else. This was not good, and led to confusion in the sec horse, and coupled with sec's need for discretion, frequently led to Sec being declared rogue for going about their work.

That said, I feel that the nonexistence of traitor security has fostered an attitude (among the players, not the admins, to be clear) about sec that is more permissive towards shitty, authoritarian sec players- because they couldn't possibly be an antag, so whatever they do is done with good intentions, right?

I think that a very small (5% range) chance for a single (no more than a single- multiple traitor sec officers is REALLY nasty) security officer to be a traitor or changeling would tend to reduce the crew's permissiveness toward's security officers- and leaving those niggling doubts about people's trustworthiness that are so conducive to good gameplay- while still keeping sec as a generally trustworthy entity.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Traitorsec 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by lumipharon » #150470

security can already be impersonated/replaced/converted into many antags.

Antag sec was shit because there was a 50/50 chance that when a sec officer stunned you, you were going to get cuffed and murdered. That is why people hated sec, greytided and generally made sec's life miserable.
Because there was zero reason to ever trust or co-operate with them, and plenty of reason to actively work against them.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #150473

on one hand, it will make AIs less inclined to side with sec, which is great

on the other hand, it will make greytiding sec and releasing prisoners valid as soon as somebody says "oh i figured the officer was a traitor"
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #150499

I'm traitorsec whenever I'm antag and not RD tho
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #150504

Well changelings are rarer than traitors and there are less changelings in traitorchan. Let traitorchang mode make changeling officers?
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #150513

>changeling officers

I was changeling Warden once. The station came to suffer for it. Don't.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #150529

Antagonists should make people suffer and it makes sense it just simulates a changeling having replaced a loyal officer before the round.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #150530

Anyone that doesn't remember being arrested, having your headset stripped and being dragged to the prison station to be murdered shouldn't get a say whether it comes back or not.

You don't know what it was like.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #150531

I've successfully replaced officers and detectives as traitor/Changeling. You get literally carté blanché to do whatever you want (I've literally arrested people with nothing but my word and planted evidence on them), that is, until the meta changes and greytide stationwide becomes more than a meme.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #150532

It's not a meme. It's history.
And it got changed for the better.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #150540

The tide remained always, retreated if you will a "low tide" however it never left.

The smarter tiders just avoid spouting the catch phrases it takes to force largely sec hating admins to actually do something.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #150550

The removal of round start Traitor Security was, in my opinion, a good change for the game.

While I fully understand people wanting to take the game back in many places to a more conservative play style akin to years long past, but traitor sec was never a good feature.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #150553

Being a changeling HoS/warden/officer is basically just free snack time.

"HOLD IT CITIZEN YOU ARE UNDER ARREST FOR SUSPICION OF MURDER."

"Well I didn't murder anyone so this will clear out just fine"

Welcome to the gulag where you get eaten.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #150566

Oh no some roles might make for easy antagonism! Like the one where no one questions you making area affect gibing devices, or the one with basically all access and maybe even the one where you create and tend what amounts to the designated round ender.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #150570

Incomptinence wrote:Oh no some roles might make for easy antagonism! Like the one where no one questions you making area affect gibing devices, or the one with basically all access and maybe even the one where you create and tend what amounts to the designated round ender.
Those roles still leave a department to protect the station and catch perpetrators intact.

It's not about how easy it is, it is about how interesting for gameplay and not shit it is.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #150578

CPTANT wrote:Being a changeling HoS/warden/officer is basically just free snack time.

See, I think it would be better if instead of saying "Well I didn't murder anyone so this will clear out just fine" the person said "WAIT WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE, I WANT A LAWYER AND THREE WITNESSES" rather than "well red-shirted man said it, must go along with"
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #150586

Drynwyn wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Being a changeling HoS/warden/officer is basically just free snack time.

See, I think it would be better if instead of saying "Well I didn't murder anyone so this will clear out just fine" the person said "WAIT WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE, I WANT A LAWYER AND THREE WITNESSES" rather than "well red-shirted man said it, must go along with"
Yeah that doesn't really make a difference to how the story ends.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #150592

Drynwyn wrote:First of all, let me be clear: I am not advocating a return to the days of sec being as likely to be traitors as anyone else.

Now that that's out of the way: For those of you too young to recall, it wasn't always the case that you were certain you could trust your local security officer with 100% certainty. Sec were as likely to be traitors as anyone else. This was not good, and led to confusion in the sec horse, and coupled with sec's need for discretion, frequently led to Sec being declared rogue for going about their work.
Wasn't always the case but Sec have probably spent more time protected than unprotected.
Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #150599

CPTANT wrote:
Drynwyn wrote:

See, I think it would be better if instead of saying "Well I didn't murder anyone so this will clear out just fine" the person said "WAIT WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE, I WANT A LAWYER AND THREE THESE DUDes i know" rather than "well red-shirted man said it, must go along with"
i guess a taser and a red jumpsuit make you unbeatable, that must be why the station sec force never dies ever
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #150603

What about traitorous Captains, so there's more captains being overthrown.
And they could have super objectives.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #150604

Isn't that basically the HoP?

Here's something !FUN! buy an emag, emag your comm console, call Syndiecomm and tell them you have installed yourself as leader of the coveted Space Station 13 and ask for more orders.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #150606

Drynwyn wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
Drynwyn wrote:

See, I think it would be better if instead of saying "Well I didn't murder anyone so this will clear out just fine" the person said "WAIT WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE, I WANT A LAWYER AND THREE THESE DUDes i know" rather than "well red-shirted man said it, must go along with"
i guess a taser and a red jumpsuit make you unbeatable, that must be why the station sec force never dies ever
The fuck are you going with this, antags get loads of shit to help them defeat security, or they are conversion antags that overwelm sec in numbers.

Having traitor sec makes playing regular sec even more of a giant PITA than it already is and does not make the round more fun for other people either.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #150623

As much as I hate the existence of incorruptible valid hunters with a team HUD, we have spent too many years balancing the rules and code around ss13 being TDM, so it would be terrible to go back at this point.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #150637

What balance? Do you mean nerfing security gear after protect from antag in the name of "stun removal" or "everyone must use my blue lasers"?

Security has basically been redesigned to be overwhelmed by the crew easily just look at rev.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #150639

http://ss13.eu/tgdb/tg/latest_stats.htm ... revolution

>54% rev winrate

Sec seems to be doing okay
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #150641

Well at least that improved used to be 80% a few months ago. Not sure what did that so quickly wasn't any pull I know of.

Edit: Maybe it was map rotation? Or slip nerf (for cascading gear theft reasons)?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #150645

if you trust sec not to kill you even when they're not traitors you're a dummy.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #150649

Drynwyn wrote: i guess a taser and a red jumpsuit make you unbeatable, that must be why the station sec force never dies ever
No, the reason is because sec has justifiable reasons to arrest people, where as some random traitor greyshit does not.
Of course then you get to the point where the crew does not trust sec arresting anyone ever, and goes out of their way to get in their way/steal prisoners etc, like how it was 2-3 years ago. And guess what? It was fucking awful for everyone that wasn't the antagsec.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #150659

Well pulling cuffed people has been made harder to interrupt but let's pretend that and admins had no role in reducing prisoner thefts and give all credit to the sacred cow.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #150682

no