Tesla grill and instant deff

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Tesla grill and instant deff

Post by Incomptinence » #173288

Purge the unclean.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #173334

Just remove it, it's dumb and inconsistent that directly touching the grille itself will deal a fair amount of damage to you, but flicking a peanut at the grille will cause a massive arc shock that can fry the shit out of 3 people
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #173338

This needs to go, it's frying innocents left and right as people break into HOP/sec. Or when antags build electrified grilles in the middle of the hallway and watch the sparks, like last night. Don't get me wrong, building electrified grilles in the middle of the hall as an antag is neat, but not when they blast everyone around them when some assistant throws a sheet of paper at it.
--Crocodillo

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #173339

I am for the removal, it's kinda dumb and makes shit like actually using electrified grilles as barriers impractical because it will kill you if you're standing near it. Also it ruins fight clubs.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #173424

FEAR THE GRILLE
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #173536

>not filling pneumatic cannons up with 12 sheets of paper and firing at the HOPS grille while people stand in line

cmon
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #173540

I'm all for the game being more deadly but insta-crit is a bit over the top
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #173549

It's a cool metal death trap mechanic but the range is too high

Reduce it to 1 tile so prison breaks are still possible
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #173554

I don't think people realize that shocked grilles are pointless if all you have to do is throw the same glass shards at it that fell off the window.

Now they're an obstacle to be feared again.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #173556

They're too great an obstacle. Disruptingly too much of an obstacle, since the grilles make it impossible to break people out of prison unless you have insuls and tools.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #173558

Oh no how the hell will someone with access to EVA get ahold of TOOLS?

There's more ways to get around that grille without gloves than slamming it like a barbarian, and even other methods involved slamming it like a barbarian.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #173560

You're thinking of perma, I'm thinking of the regular cells. It is actually impossible to get people out of there without tools even if you have gloves since the prisoner will get shocked and die even if you avoid the shocks.

Also no as I've said before this is not a good fucking game mechanic because this requires people to make a checklist. If they have gloves and tools they can do fun things, if they don't, "get fucked git gud scrub lelelelele"
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #173562

Make grilles have an insulated layer that can be stripped off to shoot magic death electricity. You can still get your death grilles otherwise they just do the old shock if touched (grilles are secretly layered with the same stuff as budget insulated gloves.)

i solved everyone's problems we can go home now
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #173564

Zilenan91 wrote:You're thinking of perma, I'm thinking of the regular cells. It is actually impossible to get people out of there without tools even if you have gloves since the prisoner will get shocked and die even if you avoid the shocks.

Also no as I've said before this is not a good fucking game mechanic because this requires people to make a checklist. If they have gloves and tools they can do fun things, if they don't, "get fucked git gud scrub lelelelele"
Guns
Explosives
Thermite
Decon the walls
Emag/hack the doors through the gulag and go around into the windoor
Grabbing another person and throwing THEM into the grille
Build/steal a fucking grounding rod, push it up against the window then bash it like the technologically competent barbarian you are
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #173567

Saegrimr wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:You're thinking of perma, I'm thinking of the regular cells. It is actually impossible to get people out of there without tools even if you have gloves since the prisoner will get shocked and die even if you avoid the shocks.

Guns
Explosives
Thermite
Decon the walls
Build/steal a fucking grounding rod, push it up against the window then bash it like the technologically competent barbarian you are
or hit it with something that's not conductive, such as the glass that the window drops when you break it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #173568

This is fucking stupid. Remove.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Post by J_Madison » #173585

Actually pretty good. Punishes greytiding and smashing shit up.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #173590

have you tried one of the many above suggestions, or simply NOT breaking people out of jail cells?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #173598

Saegrimr wrote:

Guns
Explosives
Thermite
Decon the walls
Can't get guns unless you're in cargo, checklist
IEDs are unreliable, checklist
Thermite requires chemistry, checklist
Decon the walls, checklist
Emag/hack the doors... checklist
Grabbing another person and throwing them, not how the electricity works, it should jump to you, and will still kill the prisoner
Build/steal a grounding rod, checklist

So every single one of your suggestions are either a misunderstanding of mechanics or require you to have specific job access, have good RnG (IEDs, traitor) or to have two minutes to blow deconning a wall with a toolbox to get by a single fucking brig window 10/10

Edit : Also Goof why are you even asking this, if you see fellow revs in jail why would you not break them out
Last edited by Zilenan91 on Wed May 04, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #173602

Guys I have a great idea. Okay, so you know how windows are supposed to be the vulnerable part of areas? Well, what if we made them MORE ANNOYING TO GO THROUGH THAN WALLS? GENIUS!

I mean fuck at least walls don't try to kill you if you break through them.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #173621

You're right. Slicing down a reinforced metal wall using only basic hand tools would absolutely leave jagged, sharp edges that would injure you as you tried to cross, possibly shredding worn items into uselessness. I'll look into adding this so that grilles and walls and more equivalent again.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #173627

Zilenan91 wrote:Grabbing another person and throwing them, not how the electricity works, it should jump to you, and will still kill the prisoner
Last I checked, throwing a body at the grille just shocked the guy that got thrown, no arcing or anything since he was the final jump. I'll log on and check again later just in case though unless you feel like giving it a shot yourself with pun pun or some random corpse.

If you're complaining that a greyshirt doesn't have default access to useful things, then what the fuck do you want me to tell you?
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #173629

>default access to useful things

So what you're saying is that this change requires people to powergame to get past one single window since you can't do it without a full set of tools and insuls, or taking 2+ minutes to decon an rwall and then two more walls to get inside the brig, the entire time sec can come bust you, or you HAVE to have specific departmental access to get around something
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #173638

Zilenan91 wrote:>default access to useful things

So what you're saying is
no nigga im saying use the glass shard that dropped when you broke the window god damn stop bitching
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #173640

Don't you get shocked if you hit the egrille with a glass shard or is it snowflaked to not do that because I've never seen anyone do it before

If you're talking about throwing it the shock range is 3 so it will hit you in most brig hallways unless you run away right before or after you throw it
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #173641

Zilenan91 wrote:Don't you get shocked if you hit the egrille with a glass shard or is it snowflaked to not do that because I've never seen anyone do it before
>HE DOESNT EVEN KNOW THAT YOU CAN HIT GRILLES WITH NONCONDUCTIVE ITEMS AND IT WONT SHOCK YOU

YOU ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO COMPLAIN ANYMORE

YOU ARE CLEARLY NOT KNOWLEDGEABLE ENOUGH ON THIS TOPIC

LURK MOAR
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #173642

irl wirecutters have insulation on them so you don't shock yourself and die when you cut something, but they don't in-game so how the fuck is anything consistent
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #173644

learn before you complain jesus christ zilenan
1. wirecutters aren't insulated because a. nanotrasen is cheap, and b. if they were any assistant could grief the whole power grid with actually 0 effort by cutting every cable they see
2. next time you wanna bust a grille, grab the shard from the window and hit the grille with it. shards are probably the most common noconduct items, the only downside is that using them without some kind of glove will do very very minor brute damage to you (but any kind of glove will prevent this, even latex).

learn
LEARN
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #173658

don't help these people PK

they're not worth of the powergame
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #173662

PKPenguin321 wrote:learn
LEARN
Yeah but now he's gotta find BLACK GLOVES or something or he'll HURT HIS HAND
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #173704

Electrified grills were fairly easy to break through since all you had to do was smash the window and then throw the shards from the window at the grill a couple of times. At the same time though, having them shoot out tesla bolts if something so much as touches them sounds kind of weird.
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #173790

Saegrimr wrote:I don't think people realize that shocked grilles are pointless if all you have to do is throw the same glass shards at it that fell off the window.

Now they're an obstacle to be feared again.

I'm not against it being a deadly obstacle, just one that kills everyone around it. I'd be fine with a tesla bolt that can't arc past the person who threw something at it.
--Crocodillo

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #173819

PKPenguin321 wrote:learn before you complain jesus christ zilenan
shards are probably the most common noconduct items,
kind of slightly not really off topic but what items besides shards are noconduct I have no idea
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #173833

If you're really enterprising then test it as an engineer. You have access to the tools and materials to build your own SMES. Wire it to the powergrid and let it charge. Then cut its link, and turn off the APC in the room to make sure that nothing in the room can get magic power from it. Then wire the SMES directly to a grille and set it's output super low. Whatever the minimum power to shock(if one exists). That way you can minimize the damage you take.
--Crocodillo

Xhagi
Byond Username: Aliannera

Post by Xhagi » #173834

>be xeno hunter trapped in xenobio
>queen and pretorian are dicking around with tail swipe
>something hits a grille from tail swipes
>BBZZZZXTTTT
>the queen, pretorian, and myself all instaded
>ground control to sides you have lift off

It has it's hilarious moments like this but it does feel kinda silly. Also it's easily defeated if you just back up farther away and throw from a distance.
Professional Catgirl and Gayboy Supreme.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #176698

H-HEY GHETTO SOLUTION GET YOURSELF INFINITE FINGERLESS GLOVES FROM THE CLOTHING VENDOR THEN BREAK THE WINDOW AND USE THE DEMN GLASS SHARD
The future is horrible!