Devils

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Devils

Post by Oldman Robustin » #177175

They honestly shouldn't even be admin-spawned. They're horribly imbalanced in their current state.

You're basically unkillable. The weaknesses are a joke and only prevent the devil from doing his magic for a short period of time, It's incredibly easy to just yakkety sax if anyone actually goes through the effort of learning your name and then looking up your weakness and then finding your weakness and then using your weakness on you. The res-prevention stuff is also broken, like requiring you to put certain clothes on the devil when half their forms can't even wear clothes.

The contracts are not punishing at all. Free truesight? All Access? Hulk? Fireball + Knock? Those are HUGE benefits all for the cost of not being clonable. Considering there are lavaland roles, most people don't even die, and most deaths don't get cloned, taking the contract is a no-brainer.

Here's how the round plays out:

1) Stage 1 devil offers contracts, most people don't say no because of the reasons above. Even if someone pulls out a stun prod and murders the devil at this stage, they won't know the devil's true name in order to do research and prevent their resurrection.

2) Devil gets two contracts out because the crew doesn't have a realistic way to stop them from rezzing at this point and has no incentive NOT to accept all the great powers he's handing out. Any of these powers become a huge nightmare for security since "greytide" is usually the first course of action when these soul-sellers get their all-access card, all-access wallpunching, or all-access magic door opening.

3) After 2 contracts the devil can now instantly and permanently jaunt with zero time limits or cooldowns. Now they go from theoretically unkillable to practically unkillable. There is no realistic way to track or prevent the devil from making deals when they can appear/disappear anywhere on the station instantly. And after a few more contracts...

4) They become a true devil, now that their name is visible and people have a shot at researching the devil's weakness, some of the weaknesses/res-preventers aren't even possible against a true devil. Furthermore they have an absurd 350hp at this point. That's more than juggernauts but also with no movement loss and the same instant jaunting that was around before! To give you a clue how obscene these are, I researched the weakness of a true devil (salt), managed to FEED IT SALT while it was buying a soul, then it chased me and started to beat me to death with its 34dmg pitchfork when I detonated a maxcap bomb on it at point blank while it was still "weakened". Of course, it survived, 350hp means they pretty much don't even need jaunt at this point, but of course they do have jaunt, and resurrection, and fireball, and a 34dmg melee weapon...

5) They inevitably ascend because unless you have your head up your ass, you cannot lose at this role. Round is now over, GG whoever designed this.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Re: Devils

Post by Ezel » #177186

Dont blame the devil
Blame the powergamers
The future is horrible!
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #177187

Uh, blame the devil, it's op.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177188

I feel like as long as admins only give it to people who can be trusted to try and make fun for everyone/not murderbone/play the role in an interesting way it can still work.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177189

The price for selling your soul should be 24h server ban upon death.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #177190

>trade tcs for devil once as miner
>admins go through with it and I ascend in less than 20 minutes even though at first I didn't even know what I was doing
>another time
>trade tcs for devil
>madman admins go through with it
>madman admins made somebody else a devil that round too
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #177201

It's not even about powergaming. Evolving/Ascending as the Devil is forced, so even the most RP oriented Devil is going to end the round in less than 30 minutes.

Infinite+Instant jaunt and contracts being "auto-yes" for most of the crew are the two immediate problems.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #177202

Lumbermancer wrote:The price for selling your soul should be 24h server ban upon death.
I know that's a joke but Kor had a similar idea where people are "damned" and basically stuck in a box where they can't ghost. My problem with any after-death punishment is that Devil becomes a population-killer, especially at late-night.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #177213

How about when you sign the contract and you die, you cannot respawn but will automatically be summoned as an imp when he evolves? That way the demon can't infinitespawn imps and stuff and it doesn't popkill but it does hold you back from ever returning as yourself
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #177252

I'd replace their jaunt when they hit the True Name reveal with something more akin to bloodcrawling, but make it take longer to come out of.

Getting more souls should make you stronger, but less subtle in my mind.

The codex should also be indestructible, or easily replaceable. Hell I'd give the librarian an innate sense of where it is at all times.
The lawyers should be immune to devilry shenanigans, straight up immunity akin to the Chaplain's magic immunity, and share the librarian's ability to research fairly safely. The HoP and Captain should be resistant to Devilry to them being a bunch of pencil-pushing politicians (in theory).

Hitting a devil with their bane object should do a straight 60-70 damage, making their bane practically an e-sword to them. Holy water should always be effective against them and be severely debilitating at best (hallucinations, stamina damage, confusion etc.) and downright lethal at worst. The Null rod (or whatever the Chaplain's made it) should make the Devil disorientated if they're on the same screen as it and do roundabout 35 damage to them on hit, trying to pick it up burns them.

Tiles blessed by holy water should be impassable to them both in the real world and by their jaunting unless they hit Ascension. Someone who has a Holy Bible in their inventory or contents should take less damage from any of the Devil's attacks, a chaplain can wield one as a weapon against a Devil but it only deals minor damage to them plus confusion. Devils trying to pick up a Bible will get burned.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #177347

HoP and Captain?

Better add QM, he's the embodiment of paperwork.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #177412

It's a gamemode that simply can't work on this server. Make the devil too weak and players will just murder it as soon as it jaunts out to hand over contracts. Make it too tough and it will murderbone everything. The last devil I saw was just random murdering and threatening people to get them to sign contracts on pain of death.

If you think about it, no other antag role relies on peaceful interaction with another unrestrained crewman while being obviously antag. That is because the fight-or-flight response is so deeply ingrained into the playerbase that it's usually the only response upon sight of an antag. So the devil has to be tough.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #177419

The concept is fun. The execution needs work.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #177421

This is something that would work on bay.

Unless you really, REALLY, make selling your soul something that has just as grave negative repercussions as there are positive then even then that does not fix how brokenly powerful the Devil is.

At least if you shove a bomb down a Wizard's throat they usually die (lich's exempted).
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177423

I kinda like the dayban on selling your soul idea tbh. At the very least it should lock down your ghost in "hell" so that you can not observe or take ghost roles when you die
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177424

Wyzack wrote:I kinda like the dayban on selling your soul idea tbh. At the very least it should lock down your ghost in "hell" so that you can not observe or take ghost roles when you die
How about we make fun of the player after the fact?

Make it that if you sell your soul your guaranteed 100% to LOSE out on your next antag selection.

So you sell your soul on one round, and the next day your in a Ops round and you get selected to be a Op. HOWEVER since you sold your soul you instead get a message that you've lost out on a antagonist opportunity (no hints as to what it was).
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #177431

Do you guys realize that the only thing that keeps players in the room when the devil appears in front of them is the fact that contracts are worth a dime? Make them too much punishing (contracts don't even make you antag fyi) and they'll just run away/attack/scream on radio like they do with every other antag
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #177432

Are you guys seriously trying to punish people for selling their souls inround with out of round punishment?

Did you even think this through?
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #177435

Archie700 wrote:
Archie700 wrote:Are you guys seriously trying to punish people for selling their souls inround with out of round punishment?

>Quoting yourself

Its called selling your soul for fantastical powers. It should have some drawback later on, besides my suggestion doesn't hamper your ability to play the game in a major way.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #177436

I am of the strong opinion that devil should only be played by players who are willing to rp convincing crewmembers to sell their souls. Threatening death if they don't sign, or just handing people contracts and walking away, are the kinds of players who I feel should not be playing this role.
I think devil should remain admin creation only with no assignment by random event.
I personally deny prays or tc trades for devil, unless I know that player is good at rp and won't just go abuse the role.
I'll probably switch over to a one chance and then you have to prove you can handle it if you fail system. If someone prays to be devil and I decide that a devil would be fine to add to the round, unless I know they have played devil before and are good at the role play aspect, I'll inform them that devil essentially requires roleplay. If you don't put effort into roleplaying and just treat it as lel antag time to murder, you are not going to get to play that role again unless you show exceptional roleplay elsewhere.
I encourage other admins to follow this system as well. Check notes of the player before giving the role and add a note to said player if they go 0 roleplay murderbone.

Devil is a fantastic antag when played by people who actually roleplay, and a terrible antag if played by people who don't.

Also I was told that cargo can order another demon book.

Devil resurrecting costs souls. The devil's effective soul count is the number of souls they have minus the number of resurrects they have used. If you kill the devil and they don't have any souls remaining they can't resurrect. Hitting people who have sold their souls with employment contracts will get their soul back, and will revert them to previous forms if they lose enough souls.
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #177438

Steelpoint wrote:
Archie700 wrote:
Archie700 wrote:Are you guys seriously trying to punish people for selling their souls inround with out of round punishment?

>Quoting yourself

Its called selling your soul for fantastical powers. It should have some drawback later on, besides my suggestion doesn't hamper your ability to play the game in a major way.
I wanted to edit my post but pressed the wrong button.

Also why would you restrict a player from antag roles for one round just because he sold his soul for powers another round when he can't even be changed into an antag unless he is already one?

The most that I think is reasonable is ghostrole banned for the rest of the round and even that's pushing it a bit.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #177440

How is ghost role banned for the rest of the round pushing it? We have so many ghost roles currently that the unable to be cloned/mmi is a literal joke.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177441

Shadowlight is spot on with this. Also maybe a short ban is too harsh, but also maybe go fuck yourself. Locking down their ghost at least is absolutely fair. If you don't like it don't take the goddamn powers, they are not supposed to be free
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #177443

palpatine213 wrote:How is ghost role banned for the rest of the round pushing it? We have so many ghost roles currently that the unable to be cloned/mmi is a literal joke.
Some people might just want to relax and do something in lavaland rather than observe a round.

Then again, ghostrole bans would prevent the person who sold his soul from validing the ghost in any way possible so I can see that it's reasonable at least.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #177444

I'm fine with ghostrole ban for the current round, anything beyond that and carrying over to the next round is overkill. Expecially not being able to observe
EmGee
Byond Username: EmGee

Post by EmGee » #177445

Oldman Robustin wrote:They honestly shouldn't even be admin-spawned. They're horribly imbalanced in their current state.

You're basically unkillable. The weaknesses are a joke and only prevent the devil from doing his magic for a short period of time, It's incredibly easy to just yakkety sax if anyone actually goes through the effort of learning your name and then looking up your weakness and then finding your weakness and then using your weakness on you. The res-prevention stuff is also broken, like requiring you to put certain clothes on the devil when half their forms can't even wear clothes.

The contracts are not punishing at all. Free truesight? All Access? Hulk? Fireball + Knock? Those are HUGE benefits all for the cost of not being clonable. Considering there are lavaland roles, most people don't even die, and most deaths don't get cloned, taking the contract is a no-brainer.

Here's how the round plays out:

1) Stage 1 devil offers contracts, most people don't say no because of the reasons above. Even if someone pulls out a stun prod and murders the devil at this stage, they won't know the devil's true name in order to do research and prevent their resurrection.

2) Devil gets two contracts out because the crew doesn't have a realistic way to stop them from rezzing at this point and has no incentive NOT to accept all the great powers he's handing out. Any of these powers become a huge nightmare for security since "greytide" is usually the first course of action when these soul-sellers get their all-access card, all-access wallpunching, or all-access magic door opening.

3) After 2 contracts the devil can now instantly and permanently jaunt with zero time limits or cooldowns. Now they go from theoretically unkillable to practically unkillable. There is no realistic way to track or prevent the devil from making deals when they can appear/disappear anywhere on the station instantly. And after a few more contracts...

4) They become a true devil, now that their name is visible and people have a shot at researching the devil's weakness, some of the weaknesses/res-preventers aren't even possible against a true devil. Furthermore they have an absurd 350hp at this point. That's more than juggernauts but also with no movement loss and the same instant jaunting that was around before! To give you a clue how obscene these are, I researched the weakness of a true devil (salt), managed to FEED IT SALT while it was buying a soul, then it chased me and started to beat me to death with its 34dmg pitchfork when I detonated a maxcap bomb on it at point blank while it was still "weakened". Of course, it survived, 350hp means they pretty much don't even need jaunt at this point, but of course they do have jaunt, and resurrection, and fireball, and a 34dmg melee weapon...

5) They inevitably ascend because unless you have your head up your ass, you cannot lose at this role. Round is now over, GG whoever designed this.
This, to be honest, wasn't my experience playing as the devil. At all.

When I got devil the first time today by trading it for ling, what I experienced was basically a underpowered version of ling.

I took care making contracts only in isolated places, away from the public eye. However, very soon I had a overzealous warden on my tail, who relentlessly lasered me to death, dragging me to the chapel and incinerating me.

I had three contracts, but I still hadn't ascended to the "Infernal Humanoid Form".
'
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177446

Archie700 wrote:
palpatine213 wrote:How is ghost role banned for the rest of the round pushing it? We have so many ghost roles currently that the unable to be cloned/mmi is a literal joke.
Some people might just want to relax and do something in lavaland rather than observe a round.

Then again, ghostrole bans would prevent the person who sold his soul from validing the ghost in any way possible so I can see that it's reasonable at least.
If they want to do something more relaxing then maybe they should not barter magical powers from fucking satan.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #177448

To clarify the levels and spells of devil
Weakened level: <0 effective souls (if you revived once and the lawyer got people's souls back)
Spells:
Summon contract
Base level: at least 0 effective souls
Spells:
Summon contract
Hellish fireball
Summon pitchfork
Blood lizard: at least 3 effective souls
Spells:
Summon contract
Hellish fireball
Summon pitchfork
Infernal jaunt
True devil: at least 6 effective souls
Spells:
Summon contract
Summon greater pitchfork
Hellish fireball
Infernal jaunt
Sintouch
Arch devil: at least 9 effective souls
Spells:
Summon contract
Summon ascended pitchfork
Ascendant Sintouch
Ghosts can click on them to become imps

Until arch devil, losing souls via death or lawyers and falling below the threshold will cause the devil to revert to the previous form.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #177453

I'm with the people saying there should big repercussions for SELLING YOUR SOUL, otherwise the whole theme falls flat on its face.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #177455

Wyzack wrote:
Archie700 wrote:

If they want to do something more relaxing then maybe they should not barter magical powers from fucking satan.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #177456

I like rp, I like the devil. Still, more downsides, yes.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #177473

I'm still of the opinion that devils should have a few more counters, mainly wards that'll reduce the damage they can do to you or outright prevent an attack.

Where's a Demonologist when you need one?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #177496

Anonmare wrote:I'm still of the opinion that devils should have a few more counters, mainly wards that'll reduce the damage they can do to you or outright prevent an attack.

Maybe more common things he has to avoid to give away his devilness
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #177520

Armhulen wrote:
Anonmare wrote:I'm still of the opinion that devils should have a few more counters, mainly wards that'll reduce the damage they can do to you or outright prevent an attack.

Maybe more common things he has to avoid to give away his devilness
just make him go on fire if he sets foot in the chapel
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #177526

Just use the whole 'evil cannot enter your home without invitation', only instead of home, make it your workplace/department.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #177531

Holy Water shouldn't be a counter to devils because if a chaplain loads that shit into a fire extinguisher suddenly the devil can literally go nowhere on the entire station because he can bless entire water tanks and spread it everywhere
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #177550

Which is motivation for him to keep a low profile
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #177554

That's a motivation for him to murder, actually, since it's so simple for the chaplain to whack a water tank and start spraying. Sometimes they do it just because they're bored and have nothing else to do and it's easy. I genuinely can't think of a more persuasive mechanic for murder.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #177570

Holy Water is actually a mechanic against Wizard jaunting last I recall. Considering the sheer number of tiles you have to bless and you play with limited access, most chaplains won't bother - assuming they didn't suicide 5 minutes in.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #177572

Yes, but the reason it isn't widely used is because wizards can make do without Jaunt. They have more alternatives to getting around past holy water, and even if a tile is holy, they can still walk on it and otherwise have full functionality. Utterly preventing the movement of something on holy water is terrible if it has no way of getting rid of holy on a tile, this is how revenant gets away with it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #177753

What are you guys even arguing about, Devils have INFINITE jaunt, you're really not going to be able to stop them from going anywhere. Holy water should be able to stop them, but the jaunt needs to be made LIMITED in nature first. I'm talking it needs a cooldown, channeling period, etc.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #177754

Yeah, the jaunt is bullshit, plz nerf
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #177761

Oldman Robustin wrote:What are you guys even arguing about, Devils have INFINITE jaunt, you're really not going to be able to stop them from going anywhere. Holy water should be able to stop them, but the jaunt needs to be made LIMITED in nature first. I'm talking it needs a cooldown, channeling period, etc.
Indeed, I play as Pablo Escabar, I'm sure most of you have at some point murdered me, I have yet to murder more than about twenty people, ten of which were on devil where you can literally jaunt around people and shank them with your pitchfork.

Also as a general feedback note: the fork sprite does not scale with the ascended devil sprite, so it looks you're stabbing people with a toothpick as the giant final devil form.
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #177777

Oldman Robustin wrote:What are you guys even arguing about, Devils have INFINITE jaunt, you're really not going to be able to stop them from going anywhere. Holy water should be able to stop them, but the jaunt needs to be made LIMITED in nature first. I'm talking it needs a cooldown, channeling period, etc.
You can only actually exit the jaunt next to someone who hasn't sold their soul.
So if they are wounded, they cant just jaunt anywhere they want to go heal, they have to emerge next to someone.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #177884

Oldman actually can't envision a situation where a player wouldn't use all the powers available to them to make the round more enjoyable. Seriously, it's not his fault he just cannot imagine that situation at all.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #177928

oranges wrote:Oldman actually can't envision a situation where a player wouldn't use all the powers available to them to make the round more enjoyable. Seriously, it's not his fault he just cannot imagine that situation at all.
It's almost as if peolpe have consistantly abused everything and anything to their advantage, ignoring RP and fun for anyone but themselves.

You make it sound like oldman is being rediculous, when he's simply being practical.
You cannot say 'devil is fine if the player decided to not be a powergaming shit', unless we actually have a ruleset to ensure that they're not a powergaming shit - because guess what, people like to be powergaming shits, and always have been, as seen by: literally every feature ever.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #177949

I was making a joke
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #177987

oranges wrote:I was making a joke
Have you even read the rules???
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Fun
Educate yourself
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #178086

lumipharon wrote:
oranges wrote:Oldman actually can't envision a situation where a player wouldn't use all the powers available to them to make the round more enjoyable. Seriously, it's not his fault he just cannot imagine that situation at all.
It's almost as if peolpe have consistantly abused everything and anything to their advantage, ignoring RP and fun for anyone but themselves.

You make it sound like oldman is being rediculous, when he's simply being practical.
You cannot say 'devil is fine if the player decided to not be a powergaming shit', unless we actually have a ruleset to ensure that they're not a powergaming shit - because guess what, people like to be powergaming shits, and always have been, as seen by: literally every feature ever.
Or, you know... admins do what I suggested and only give devil to players who are actually going to rp.
Oldman Robustin

Post by Oldman Robustin » #178119

Shadow it doesn't really matter, you can RP the fuck out of your contracts but the contracts already sell themselves and you are forced to evolve/ascend as you sell contracts. Once you ascend the round ends and its IMPS ERRYWHERE.

RP or not its poorly designed.