R&D level remake feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Re: R&D level remake feedback

Post by Actionb » #185499

Bottom post of the previous page:

Takeguru wrote:Yeah, genetics
The job purely based on RNG now
That's why miners can't get Hyper-KAs
Hyper KAs don't need engi 6. Its requirements are in the post above yours...
Lati
Byond Username: Lati

Post by Lati » #185684

Many people seem to be very lost with those required tech levels. They aren't updated to wiki yet so code is the only place to see them. I'm slowly updating the wiki with the new levels but it's just slow since there are so many items spread around the files. Mining gear is as easy or easier to get than before, aside from sonic jackhammer. X-ray guns require exactly the same items as before (combat shotguns) above the normal levels.

One thing that surprises me is how many people think they want to max out research. There are very few items behind the high tech levels, some levels have no items at all behind them. People weren't even really trying to max out the old system. They were just getting the levels that actually unlock the items they want and didn't care for the levels that did nothing, why should those levels suddenly matter now?

Like it's been written in this thread, you can get the levels really high without going to botany at all. I'll still of course keep updating the levels and adding new items in there when I see some that fit well. The alternative way of getting engineering tech should be getting merged really soon so I hope that will help getting those NV HUDs (and you don't even need all the powers to get NV HUDs, 5 is enough).
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #185705

5 powers is a lot to expect even out of competent geneticists because of the RNG involved with getting those powers
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #185833

Takeguru wrote:5 powers is a lot to expect even out of competent geneticists because of the RNG involved with getting those powers
It's driving me insane at times. You know where the power blocks are, but just can't the values right because RNGesus is trolling you.
I have been doing genetics for years now and I am begging you, Lati, to reduce the number of required powers (at least for the engi tech 5 one). Sometimes you get lucky and just fly through the genome and are done within 15 minutes... other times you will need half an hour to get to even 5 powers.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #186437

It's why most geneteicists go braindead. Even with upgraded dna modifiers it's still shit
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Lati
Byond Username: Lati

Post by Lati » #186477

The machine prototype is now in so at least there's another way of getting engineering up. All the high levels have stats getting logged on how much people are getting those. I'll first see those and then lower the power requirement if needed.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #188947

Lati wrote:The machine prototype is now in so at least there's another way of getting engineering up. All the high levels have stats getting logged on how much people are getting those. I'll first see those and then lower the power requirement if needed.
what is this?
smittn
Byond Username: Smittn

Post by smittn » #188954

From the wiki:
Origin level 6 (engi) DNA syringe with 6 powers, machine prototype from cargo
Something ordered from cargo? Never heard of this before myself
Terry Mcfall - Roboticist/Warden :: HUNK MEISTER - Clown :honk:
Actionb

Post by Actionb » #189007

smittn wrote:From the wiki:
Origin level 6 (engi) DNA syringe with 6 powers, machine prototype from cargo
Something ordered from cargo? Never heard of this before myself
It's a (makeshift, hopefully) snowflake item for 8000 cargo bucks that allows you to circumvent genetics RNG fuckery ... well, it gets you engi 6 (NV HUDs, etc.) at least.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #189009

I am glad that we can sidestep inexorably needing genetics powers for engineering but that begs the question of why anyone is doing research if centcomm already has better shit anyways
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #189010

Tech disks are expensive, and !!SCIENCE!! is handed out on a need-to-know basis.

Also, the station is just one giant social experiment.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: