Remove bees

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Remove bees

Post by InsaneHyena » #191921

Who the fuck thought that this is a good idea.
Bring back papercult.

Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Re: Remove bees

Post by Bolien » #191926

Honestly now that the BUZZZZZZ has died down about a new feature, I don't see them that often.

Unless botanists want to griff.

Meme feature tbh fam.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #191928

no
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #191929

Zilenan91 wrote:no
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #191931

Anonmare wrote:
Zilenan91 wrote:yes
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #192008

Remove bees. Add Wasp.
Freedom
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #192010

It's a "I don't like a thing remove it" episode
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #192013

Why are they bad?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #192060

allow bees to get through vents and spread if pressure in pipes is low enough to allow them in
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #192134

Why the hell can't you eat honeycombs? Who coded this shit.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #192371

Neutral; I like the bees and what they can help botany with, what I dislike however is how they are coded for tg.
They've been too weaponized, as per normal tg etiquette I fucking guess, and one major difference of these and goon bees: Our bees just fucking attack your shit, instead of just flitting around, eating grass/clothes unless aggro'd. This small difference is a huge one, along with our bs about putting reagents inside of them which also should be taken out imo.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #192900

No, mutagen bees are some of the best things ever do not remove reagent bees
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #192938

Are bees really an issue? Seriously, ive only ever seen Botany use them a handful of times. Even then, its not like they have enough numbers to murder everyone on the station.

I believe everyone is hating on the Emagged Holodeck version of bees, correct? Its a neat feature, but i do think its overpowered. It should only be able to spawn bees once, rather than letting the AI spawn an infinite number of the damn things.
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #192952

IIRC when they first came out the station had dozens of those dammed bee houses.

Also what do bees even do?
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #192965

Something about increasing the yield of nearby crops and injecting the queen bee with a reagent so you can produce that reagent from their honeycombs. I only tried it once or twice, and unless i was doing something wrong, it was quite terrible. Took forever to get a honeycomb, and it only gave me 5 reagent. The bees take up an entire tile, so when Botany fills up with them, you cannot pick up anything on the floor. Really fucking annoying.

...then of course they sting anything not wearing a bee suit, so the Cooks and people walking by Botany will hate you.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #193063

If you give the queen a reagent all of her children will inject that reagent into people when they sting them.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #193072

Which is neat and all if you can load them with some useful healing chem. But bees still feel quite messy to use. For starters they need to be limited to 3-4 bees per Apiary. Then it would be nice if coders could remove the tile-sized hitbox and speed up the rate at which they generate reagents. For balance i suppose making some reagents harder or impossible to farm would be needed. Unstable Mutagen for example could be created fast, but something like Earthsblood or Omnizine would take a long time.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #193148

Strange reagent for revival bees?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #193149

All reagents work in Bees, except for royal jelly (the chem that splits queens into two queens) because I didn't want it farmed in honeycomb, if you want more queens BARE MINIMUM effort you should make the chem manually.
私は完璧
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #193152

Can you make blood replenishing bees that give O negative blood?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #193153

Blood "works" but it doesn't obey blood mechanics, it just copies "blood" with none of the data.
私は完璧
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #193154

So will it pick a random type or will it just be a bugged out blood with no type? Basically I want to know if it will poison people or not
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #193158

the blood will contain the default blood type, which is either null (it would probably skip all poison stuff then, doing nothing) a nice default that's universal (thus, not hurting the person) or a bad default that would poison them.

Edit:

Code: Select all

"blood_type"=null
/proc/get_safe_blood(bloodtype)
	. = list()
	if(!bloodtype)
		return
			if(!data || !(data["blood_type"] in get_safe_blood(C.dna.blood_type)))
				C.reagents.add_reagent("toxin", reac_volume * 0.5)
Defaults to null, and null would lead to "null in list("A-", "O-")" (or another list for example), which isn't true, because null isn't in that list, so it's FALSE flipped to TRUE by the ! and you would poison them.
私は完璧
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #193186

Remie Richards wrote:All reagents work in Bees, except for royal jelly (the chem that splits queens into two queens) because I didn't want it farmed in honeycomb, if you want more queens BARE MINIMUM effort you should make the chem manually.
So am i doing something wrong with bees or do they really just produce things incredibly slowly? Is it based on the number of plants around?

Also i still think you should limit the amount of bees, fix their silly hitbox size, and maybe make them a little less aggro towards other players. Do that and maybe people would use them more.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #193193

Alex Crimson wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:All reagents work in Bees, except for royal jelly (the chem that splits queens into two queens) because I didn't want it farmed in honeycomb, if you want more queens BARE MINIMUM effort you should make the chem manually.
So am i doing something wrong with bees or do they really just produce things incredibly slowly? Is it based on the number of plants around?

Also i still think you should limit the amount of bees, fix their silly hitbox size, and maybe make them a little less aggro towards other players. Do that and maybe people would use them more.
bees earn their little resources (progress towards new bees and honeycomb, which can be found by examining the apiary) by pollinating plants, each plant remains pollinated for a certain time and can't be pollinated again for a little while, meaning that more plants = more pollination = honeycomb + more bees = more pollination (nice little feedback loop there)
"pollination" just improves the quality of the plant (it's health, rarer chance to increase the yieldmod meaning lots more of the plant is produced when harvested, etc.)

so tl;dr lots of plants + bees = more bees, honeycomb and better quality plants
Last edited by Remie Richards on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
私は完璧
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #193194

maybe change the aggro so its not one assistant toolboxing a bee because it was annoying him and then suddenly the station is now nothing but the echoed crys of people and a omnious buzzing.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #193198

I guess that explains why i didnt get much. I tend to only focus on plants i need, rather than filling all the trays with something. It can be hard to manage all that stuff. Might want to make that a little more forgiving, if you do ever decide to buff bees.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #193201

Bees were preemptively nerfed before they got in, and when they were added nobody cried for a buff or a nerf, so they were left like that.
Most of my Botany info I get from Daisy, sooo~
私は完璧
Bolien
Byond Username: Bolien

Post by Bolien » #194942

Cayce
Byond Username: Cayce

Post by Cayce » #194965

I played in a round the other day where bees fucked up the entire round.
It was fantastic.

>Be HOS
>All quiet.
>Find two corpses in maint.
>Drag them to medbay, to get cloned.
>Hear combat noises in maint
>Find third corpse in the disposals maint room.
>Bees come speeding out of the disposals pipe.

>Oh fuck. Morphine bees.
>Kill a bunch, get stung a bunch.
>Stumble towards mebay, whiting out for 30-60 seconds EVERY 30-60 seconds.
>Medic tells me to wait for it to get out of my system.
>I go chill in a dorm room, to sleep it off.

>YOU NEED MORPHINE

>Shiiit.
>Stumble back to medbay.
>Medic cures my addiction.

>Still whiting out every 30 seconds.
>Shuttle called.
>Struggle to get there.
>White out one tile from the airlock to the shuttle.
>Barely make it in, moving as slow as possible.

SO fun. DO not remove. These are amazing.
Winsome Lousome - A Winsome lass with criminal tendencies.
Kwisatz Haderach - Blue haired prophet of engineering.
Steals-The-Thing - That fucking ligger stole the pen out of my PDA.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #194970

Nothing funnier than trying to escape a holodeck bee swarm and being forced to drop your weapons while trying to fight them, only to somehow survive leaving me as a hairless slime person.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?