Station Goals

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Are Station Goals good idea ?

Yes
80%
No
20%
Maybe
No votes

Total votes: 5

AnturK
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Anturke

Station Goals

Post by AnturK » #206441

So these were test merged both on Sybil and Basil for a while.
I'd be happy to hear any feedback and ideas about these.

Quick summary for people who don't know what these are about:
Soon after roundstart station receives an objective from Centcom to complete some big project. Right now the possible projects are:
- Building Bluespace Artillery
- Completing DNA Vault database - Scavenger hunt for animal and plant species.
- Building Meteor Shield Satellites - What it says on the tin

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/20009

My own spoiled to not influence anything
Spoiler:
- The hidden message instead of creating head cooperation only causes confusion. To be removed in next update.
- Finishing them needs bigger effect on the round in general. Maybe even round ending.
- Instructions need work. To be done in next update.
- Meteor shield goal is the worst. Revamp coming in next update.
- Needs some goal involving sec/service.
- DNA Vault reward needs some more interesting mechanics.
Last edited by AnturK on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Station Goals

Post by InsaneHyena » #206442

I didn't play that actively for the past week. Can somebody sum up this shit?
Bring back papercult.

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #206445

InsaneHyena wrote:I didn't play that actively for the past week. Can somebody sum up this shit?
Basically, Centcom tells the crew they need to undertake a large project: Building bluespace artillery, a DNA vault, or an asteroid shield. Parts available through cargo, crew has to work together to build these things.

I have yet to see a legitimate attempt, but I want to because this is a really cool idea.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #206447

I think they should impact the next round in some way.

I wasn't even aware they were in though.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #206448

Ive only played one round where we actually finished one, although there have been a few attempts. It was the DNA vault. It was pretty cool, but there were a few issues.

I found that getting the plant DNA was a little unintuitive. Maybe have us store the seeds instead of sampling the plants?

You can use the holodeck pet setting to make the animals DNA goal a bit too easy. We were able to complete it without using xenobiology, although it took a while.

The human DNA goal is kind of meaningless. Maybe make it so you need to use cloning data disks, or increase the number of samples needed.

It would also help greatly if there was some way to determine what kind of DNA is in a specific sampler, or in the vault. By the end we were just kinda guessing at what had or hadnt been sampled by someone else.

The DNA samplers themselves were pretty clunky to use, and we didnt know they were reusuable until after we ordered multiple crates.

As for the rewards, im not really sure what the options did, or wether they actually worked (station got meteor'd about 10 seconds after we finished the thing). Maybe add a description of some kind?

Overall, the idea is pretty solid, but they'll probably need some better rewards if you want to be attempted on a regular basis (especially on Sybil).
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #206450

Kor wrote:I think they should impact the next round in some way.
Spitballing on this:
DNA vault = fully upgraded cloners next roundstart
Asteroid sats = No meteor/dust impacts next round (how would this play out if RNG rolled Meteor?)
Bluespace artillery = A disabled/partially destroyed nuke op shuttle spawns on the station z-level with some goodies

More project ideas:
Mega SMES unit = Successful construction and power storage means the next shift won't need to set up an engine/power source.
Microwave Power Transmitter = Built on lavaland, power is generated by using the heat from the lava and beamed to the station. If done successfully, a microwave receptor engine can be built in the subsequent round, and functions identically to the sing/tesla. Releasing it (losing alignment on the microwave beam) causes burn damage and fires to the station
Research archive = A backup for the R&D database. When built, the next round will have access to all the research discovered in the previous round.
Last edited by Atlanta-Ned on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #206453

I guess I should also explain what you do for the vault goal, in case someone hasnt seen it.

Order a couple crate with parts from cargo for about 12000(?) points total. Build a vault using the parts, its a 3x3 structure shaped like an upside down U. You then use these sampling devices to get DNA from 5 humans, 28(?) plants and 24 (?)animals. Any simple animals like the pets or the stuff in the garden can be scanned, and plants can only be scanned while fully grown and harvestable. The samplers only hold one of each type of DNA, and have to be emptied into the vault to be reused. The reward is a choice between two buff from a pool of them. The one I got reduced stun times (I think), there was also one that made you immune to viruses (including the revenant one) and I think one that reduced brute damage and one for toxin damage. There were a few more, but I didnt see what they did.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #206618

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Research archive = A backup for the R&D database. When built, the next round will have access to all the research discovered in the previous round.
>work really hard as a scientist to build an archive
>next round you get blob

NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #206693

Sounds pretty cool overall. I'd like to see more stuff like this.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #206699

Armhulen wrote:
Atlanta-Ned wrote:Research archive = A backup for the R&D database. When built, the next round will have access to all the research discovered in the previous round.
>work really hard as a scientist to build an archive
>next round you get blob

NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE
Nothing wrong with blob rounds ending sooner :honk: