Plasma leaks

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Plasma leaks

Post by calzilla1 » #211117

Is it just me or are plasma floods more prevelent than ever? I swear every third round ends because of plasma. Its not even fun, unlike the engine release, it's put on internals and then wait for the random gray shit to light him self on fire. I think the main problem is that it's a bitch to scrub it and it's almost impossible for sec to stop before it happens.
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Plasma leaks

Post by oranges » #211227

I think scrubbing in general needs a huge buff, as a borg my usual strat is just to lock down the flooded area and open it up to space via a floor tile.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #211237

I really should fucking buff nanofrost, too. I never touched it after I made it, I think. Doesn't help that few people actually know about it.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #211238

Ergovisavi wrote:I really should fucking buff nanofrost, too. I never touched it after I made it, I think. Doesn't help that few people actually know about it.
Nanofrost? What is this?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #211240

Luke Cox wrote:
Ergovisavi wrote:I really should fucking buff nanofrost, too. I never touched it after I made it, I think. Doesn't help that few people actually know about it.
Nanofrost? What is this?
A mostly useless setting on the backpack extinguisher because it only worked on burning plasma, which at that point you might as well just let it burn. It was marginally more useful before MSO fixed atmos because plasma would just kinda linger around on fire.

I don't know why Goof didn't think of using that with his freon memes.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #211242

plasma isn't deadly enough, probably because it's visible. the hardcounter is present in everyone's packs.

as a tool to spread fire it's alright i guess, but i think it's too easy to release and doesn't do enough actual damage. it feels like fire, superpressure/depressurization don't do enough damage. crew often nonchalantly walk through spaced areas all the time. environmental hazards besides teslagrilles are too weak imo

anyway yeah plasma i don't like it much personally it's too easy, too undetectable, takes effect too fast and even if the crew manage to break back into atmos the damage is impossible to undo do to HOW DAMN SLOW THE PUMPS ARE

seriously, let plasma into distro for a minute and it takes a fucking hour to get it all back out again.

buff pumps please thank you

what's really probably needed to make fire sort of actually dangerous is to make flash burns a thing, as in if a coruscating wall of fire comes down the corridor at you it should hit like a goddamn bomb going off.

if that makes plasma too easy to use to kill the crew just make it harder to release in whatever way imo

tbh though spacesuits are so common these days that fire is hardly a problem, if we're talking about malf AI balance i think plasma is already pretty useless because it isn't going to get anyone who actually's capable of boarding your satellite and killing you from doing so, esp. the several traitors aboard who can ggnore you through a wall with 2tc or whatevs
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #211246

I want plasma fires to be way deadlier, and the depressurize shit to be way less deadlier, too.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #211255

Plasma itself should act as a neurotoxin that causes damage on contact, plasma fires should be considerably deadlier, and atmos tech gear should be buffed massively to encourage them to be actual firefighters.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #211355

> Firefighters
> Atmos hardsuit used for anything but self-interest with its "lol immune"
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Cik

Post by Cik » #211369

even after all the atmos changes fire is still impossible to fight

there is nothing in the arsenal of the station that can actually prevent plasma from burning once lit, so even bothering is a waste of time

the real problem i think is that the only thing that can burn is plasma, which is airborne by nature. ideally wires and other things (station structures?) could catch fire, and since they wouldn't immediately relight firefighting would be useful and necessary for people to save their workspaces.

at that point, fire extinguishers might actually be useful. they aren't now.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #211377

They are good for smacking others with them, and throwing them at others. Also for killing slimes.
Last edited by Slignerd on Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #211379

I'll repeat the sentiment, plasma isn't anything that special. When plasma isn't burning, it's "Oh, I just have to put the internals on", when it's burning it's "Better head to the maint and wait for a few minutes". The only times when plasma fires are a big issue are when they're caused in escape when the shuttle arrives.
Bring back papercult.

Cik

Post by Cik » #211412

agree. engineering as a department + associated mechanics needs work

for an atmos simulator this game makes it 2trivial imo