Documentation

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Documentation

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #221399

Hi,

I'd like to put forth a request that any new, 'large', feature-rich* PRs be required to have documentation on the wiki before they can be tested/merged.

This is the result of the cortical borers PR that was/is/will be test merged and left myself and the online players in the lurch. I didn't have answers to basic, critical questions such as "how do I communicate?" and "what are the rules here?"

My thought process is this:
If you care enough to PR your feature into the game, you care enough to translate your design document/notes into the wiki. Even just copy/pasting them in is fine, our talented wikibus nerds will be happy to format it for you. Please, please reach out to me if you have any questions or need help with the wiki.

Good documentation is a tenant of any software project. Going forward, I hope coders will at least voluntarily update the wiki in tandem with their code being merged.

* IE: Cortical borers, other game modes, etc etc
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Documentation

Post by Steelpoint » #221405

This has been brought up in the distant past, but the general argumentation given by coderbus/whatever was that it is not the responsibility for coders to write up wiki pages for their changes.

Though for some massive changes some coders did ask others to help write a wiki page, I recall goofball asked for me to completely rewrite the /tg/ chemistry wiki page to be up to date with his changes, which I gladly did to a high quality if I say so.

I do agree however that for major changes that a coder should at minimum throw in a barebones wiki page, if only to give a quick overview of the major change. You can leave it barebones for other people to fill in the gaps.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #221408

The borer guy already wrote 1200 lines of code for free in his spare time, surely someone who isn't as inclined to code can pitch in and write a short wiki guide for it.

Game shouldn't require the wiki to play anyway, control schemes should be explained with in game messages if needed.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #221636

I think this is a good idea and will be enforcing it for new gamemodes and antags
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #221723

Even if you don't write the wiki itself, it would still be very nice if there was a list or something of things that should be adjusted on the wiki.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #221724

oranges wrote:I think this is a good idea and will be enforcing it for new gamemodes and antags
honestly we need a mix of "give basic how-tos on what stuff does" and also volunteers

if you haven't noticed most my comments go along the lines of //fuck shit stack so unless you want a wiki page of that, someone better at writing should do it

like steelpoint's work on the chemistry page, that was some good shit right there
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #221989

In this day and age there is no excuse as to why the person who made the borer PR couldn't set up the flavor text to tell you HOW to reproduce. a simple "You must control the host in order to replicate" would suffice tbh.

I wouldn't say the coder not being able to convey how one does the major function of the antagonist ingame is exactly a wiki issue.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #222023

Ohw I seriously love how cult got good in game documentation btw (along with the fact that basically everything in cult has been made less obnoxious).
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #222046

I'm available for any documentation needs, i update the wiki to relax and would love something to do.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #222060

What if I don't have a design doc or notes
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #222103

kevinz000 wrote:What if I don't have a design doc or notes
Then I serously hope you don't plan to implement major new features.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #224639

people don't want to edit the wiki? :?: :?:
hell i'll prepare a borer page right now

edit important files DO NOT TOUCH
Spoiler:
{{Needs revision | reason = Out of date}}
{{JobPageHeader
|headerbgcolor = #efd692
|headerfontcolor = #8c7e56
|stafftype = EXTRATERRESTRIAL
|imagebgcolor = #8c7e56
|img_generic = revenant.png
|img = [WILL ADD BORER PICTURES LATER FAM]
|jobtitle = Cortical Borer
|access = N/A
|additional = Vents
|difficulty = Easy to Average
|superior = None
|duties = Crawl in the corroded brains of the clown, inject meth, assume direct control, induce crippling drugs in the clown, inject meth, cry when the host eats sugar, inject meth. Overdose!
|guides = This is the guide
|quote = Igor! Fetch me the brain!
}}

Cortical Borers are small worms that crawl in your brain and take control to reproduce. While it may seem bad at first, there are some upsides and reasons to keep that worm in your brain. Just in case you don't want a worm injecting 30u of meth when you least expect it, there are ways to kick that Borer out!

==Getting a Host==
Outside of the host, you are very weak. Anything short of talking to your hivemind, you cannot do. No talking. To get a host, you do have a couple abilities. Considering how hard it is to communicate to possible hosts, you should instead enter him forcibly. You can hide under tables and such, use this to your advantage. Hosts will get a message when you start crawling in, so use your shock ability to stun them long enough to crawl in. A few things to keep in mind is that the stun can only occur in the tile in front of you, and

==Delicious Brain Juice!==
So, you're in a brain now. You can now access most of your abilities! You're (technically) not a useless worm anymore! Here's how to work with your host.

As long as you're in a host, You generate chemicals over time. You have a maximum of 250, and you use chemicals to cast abilities.

Your objective is to reproduce, you need 10 hosts (borer-holding-humans) on the escape shuttle to win. This means helping out the esword-using maniac isn't a good idea, because if you think he's going to get on the shuttle with 10 other people, you're crazy. Having a borer help an officer arrest the traitor, and bring him on the shuttle in cuffs, works too.

===Abilities===
Below is a list of all the abilities a borer can use.
{| class="wikitable" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"
! style='background-color:#823abb;' width='150px'|Name
! style='background-color:#823abb;' width='100px'|Host Requirements
! style='background-color:#823abb;' width='100px'|Cost
! style='background-color:#823abb;' width='600px'|Description
|-
!Paralyze Victim
|No host only
|150 seconds
|Sending a psychic lance straight to un unsuspecting victim, this stuns the host long enough for you to crawl in! Use sparingly, the lance has a long cooldown. When being chased, the lance can also be used to stun someone trying to kill you, though keep in mind you have to be looking at the victim, and the victim needs to be right next to you. good luck!
|-
!Hide
|No host only
|No Cost
|Allows you to hide under tables, pipes and (be careful with this one) lockers. A borer's fav
|-
!Transmit
|N/A
|No Cooldown
|N/A
|Allows you to send a spooky message to a single target. Can be cast in walls.
|-
!Punish
|75 chemicals
|15 seconds
|Defiles the nearby area(9x9), removing holyness from nearby tiles, ripping up tiles, rusting walls, damaging windows, opening most containers, and causing lights to flicker.
|-
!Overload Light
|40E use cost
|20 seconds
|Causes nearby(13x13) light fixtures to, after a brief, spark-filled delay, shoot bolts of lightning at anyone still in the area, doing medium damage but stunning and releasing lots of sparks.
|-
!Malfunction
|45E use cost
|20 seconds
|Causes nearby machines and objects to malfunction(9x9), with a chance of emagging instead. Also stuns cyborgs, emps humans, and emags bots instantly.
|-
!Jumpstart Host
|250 chemicals
|Infects nearby(9x9) humans with a virus that causes a large amount of stamina and toxin damage over time if nor cured. Nonhumans will take toxin damage. Also damages or kills plants.
|-
|}

==Worm out of here, slug man!==
So you just saw a botanist vomiting up slugs, and they just crawled into the vents. What can you do to stop them from brain controlling the whole station? Or, on the other hand, did you just get spooked by a

{{Jobs}}[[Category: Jobs]]
Last edited by Armhulen on Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #224757

shit happened and I no longer have access to a computer to work on this. someone carry on my legacy
edit: nevermind, continuing. shitty day for the god king's election, mmm
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #225048

DONE, just someone add pictures before I do.
Spoiler:
{{JobPageHeader
|headerbgcolor = #efd692
|headerfontcolor = #8c7e56
|stafftype = EXTRATERRESTRIAL
|imagebgcolor = #8c7e56
|img_generic = revenant.png
|img = [WILL ADD BORER PICTURES LATER FAM]
|jobtitle = Cortical Borer
|access = N/A
|additional = Vents
|difficulty = Easy to Average
|superior = None
|duties = Crawl in the corroded brains of the clown, inject meth, assume direct control, induce crippling drugs in the clown, inject meth, cry when the host eats sugar, inject meth. Overdose!
|guides = This is the guide
|quote = Igor! Fetch me the brain!
}}

Cortical Borers are small worms that crawl in your brain and take control to reproduce. While it may seem bad at first, there are some upsides and reasons to keep that worm in your brain. Just in case you don't want a worm injecting 30u of meth when you least expect it, there are ways to kick that Borer out!

==Getting a Host==
Outside of the host, you are very weak. Anything short of talking to your hivemind, you cannot do. No talking. To get a host, you do have a couple abilities. Considering how hard it is to communicate to possible hosts, you should instead enter him forcibly. You can hide under tables and such, use this to your advantage. Hosts will get a message when you start crawling in, so use your shock ability to stun them long enough to crawl in. A few things to keep in mind is that the stun can only occur in the tile in front of you, and

==Delicious Brain Juice!==
So, you're in a brain now. You can now access most of your abilities! You're (technically) not a useless worm anymore! Here's how to work with your host. As long as you're in a host, You generate chemicals over time. You have a maximum of 250, and you use chemicals to cast abilities.

Your objective is to reproduce, you need 10 hosts (borer-holding-humans) on the escape shuttle to win. This means helping out the esword-using maniac isn't a good idea, because if you think he's going to get on the shuttle with 10 other people, you're crazy. Having a borer help an officer arrest the traitor, and bring him on the shuttle in cuffs, works too.

===Abilities===
Below is a list of all the abilities a borer can use.
{| class="wikitable" border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"
! style='background-color:#efd692;' width='150px'|Name
! style='background-color:#efd692;' width='100px'|Host Requirements
! style='background-color:#efd692;' width='100px'|Cost
! style='background-color:#efd692;' width='600px'|Description
|-
!Paralyze Victim
|No Host Only
|150 seconds
|Sending a psychic lance straight to an unsuspecting victim, this stuns the host long enough for you to crawl in! Use sparingly, the lance has a long cooldown. When being chased, the lance can also be used to stun someone trying to kill you, though keep in mind you have to be looking at the victim, and the victim needs to be right next to you. good luck!
|-
!Hide
|No Host Only
|No Cost
|Allows you to hide under tables, pipes and (be careful with this one) lockers. A borer's fav
|-
!Infest
|No Host Only
|No Cost
|Allows you to bury yourself into a host! Use with psychic lance for maximum effect.
|-
!Release Host
|Host required
|No Cost
|Starts to leave the host
|-
!Converse with Host/Trapped mind
|Host required
|No Cost
|Talks to the host. Nobody can intercept this. Only the host.
|-
!Secrete Chemicals
|Host required
|Chemical Cost Varies
|Injects different kinda of chemicals into the host, from meth to bicardine.
|-
!Punish
|Host required
|75 Chemicals
|Allows you to annoy, blind, and generally make the Host's life hell. Keep an eye on the cost, it's not cheap.
|-
!Jumpstart Host
|Dead Host required
|250 chemicals
|Revives the host. It also fully heals the host! Removes any and all stuns, too. It requires all of your chemicals, though, so prepare to save up for this one if need be.
|-
|}

==Worm out of here, slug man!==
So you just saw a botanist vomiting up slugs, and they just crawled into the vents. What can you do to stop them from brain controlling the whole station? Or, on the other hand, did you just get some chills, and now something is talking to you and trying to take control? Here's how to stop those slugs!

===Sugar===
Sugar dulls the Borer, and it is unable to use any abilities. If the Borer doesn't like you, or needs to do something, it will start to take full control. You need to get sugar into your system as fast as possible, before it takes control or learns what you are doing. The quickest way to get sugar in your system is snacks. The sugar in your bloodstream should last long enough to get to chemistry, and get some more sugar. from there, surgery will do!
===Finding a Borer===
Get a medhud! This will show who does and who does not have a borer in them. You could shoot them with a syringe gun full of Sugar and Morphine, then while they sleep, remove the Borer. Morphine only needed if they don't want to lose their slug friends.

Remember, too, that the slugs can be in anyone, even the Head of Security.
===Super Strats===
Borers can't stop you from eating sugar if they don't know you even have sugar on you! Try to hide it. Make a ketchup packet with salt in it. Add sugar to the chef's burgers. Have a DENTAL IMPLANT with sugar in it. Those slugs won't know what hit them.

{{Jobs}}[[Category: Jobs]]
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #225135

Added the page to the wiki, along with the borer picture and a chem list
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #227046

Hijacking this into a kudos thread.

Secure Airlocks got merged. Look! The coder added the info to the wiki! :D More of this, please!
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are