Security sprites

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Security sprites

Post by Reimoo » #29400

I don't like them. Riot suits don't look like riot suits. The helmet makes your head look egg-shaped. The gas mask sprite is awful. The colors on the jumpsuit are weak and don't stand out.

I know it's been like several months since the sprites were updated and most people are content with them now but I still feel that slight disappointment when I see these egg headed officers trying to enforce what little authority they have.

inb4 hurr make your own sprites if you don't like them

I'm no spriter, but because of this I'm sorely tempted to become one
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Re: Security sprites

Post by Nienhaus » #29408

I might have my computer fixed in a day or two, I know some one already made new jumpsuits but I can try most other things.
Hey.
Antimattercarp
Byond Username: Antimattercarp

Post by Antimattercarp » #29777

Sec uniforms should be blue because color psychology
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #29780

It is a little discomforting that nukes and sec share the red color scheme. I have to double-take when I see sec hardsuits prowling around.
Changing them to blue would be a bit weird though. Red just seems to fit.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #29783

Saegrimr wrote:It is a little discomforting that nukes and sec share the red color scheme. I have to double-take when I see sec hardsuits prowling around.
Changing them to blue would be a bit weird though. Red just seems to fit.
This is actually part of the conspiracy, as it hints that Nanotrasen and the Syndicate are really not polar opposites, but the same coin shone in different lights.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #29790

You can't change the color cause then we would lose the star trek reference, unacceptable
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #29839

Reimoo wrote:You can't change the color cause then we would lose the star trek reference, unacceptable
We can loose the Star Trek reference and make a Blue Shift reference.
Hey.
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #29851

i like the red tho i saw a cop today and he was wearing blue

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #29855

I'm on the fence about bluecurity vs redcurity. But then I decided I don't really want security to look like cops because they're not cops and shouldn't act like they are.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #29866

Red is fine, but midnight blue would do the trick too.
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #29898

redcurity bleucurity always stay shitcurity

Also i think syndiecate and nanotrasen
Get their clothing from the same shop
Nanocate shop 24/7
The future is horrible!
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #29901

I would not mind a default HoS uniform that looked more intimidating and less 'dorky'. I tend to swap out to the alternative uniform since it looks better in my opinion.

Personally, I prefer red uniforms over blue one's. Most of the blue uniforms I've seen are just a copy of the Sec Guards from Half Life, and the blue uniforms in game seems more of a formal alternative.

Not to mention Blue Security will clash with Blue Medical.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #29904

I want security to have the mask from Guardians of the Galaxy so they can show their faces and look less like dicks without taking a slot needed for stuff like cuffs and flashbangs.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #29918

Nienhaus wrote:
Reimoo wrote:You can't change the color cause then we would lose the star trek reference, unacceptable
We can loose the Star Trek reference and make a Blue Shift reference.
Nienhaus' Blue Shift sprites are great, If we don't replace the normal red jumpsuits, can we at least replace the ones you can order with these?
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #29954

Steelpoint wrote:Personally, I prefer red uniforms over blue one's. Most of the blue uniforms I've seen are just a copy of the Sec Guards from Half Life, and the blue uniforms in game seems more of a formal alternative.
The current blue ones don't. And the only other "blue security" besides mine I can think of is Susan's on Bay's actual cop sprites.
Hey.
delimusca

Post by delimusca » #30002

i was toying with that awful DMaker sprite tool and made a few colour samples.
Spoiler:
greencurity obviously objectively superior. the syndieborg palette makes the hardsuit extra skooky, though lacking in character and too edgy.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #30004

I actually never thought about greencurity.
Hey.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #30012

I could have sworn Star Trek sec was gold. Command was Red.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #30014

cedarbridge wrote:I could have sworn Star Trek sec was gold. Command was Red.
It changes around.
This image might help everyone.
Spoiler:
Hey.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #30368

Steelpoint wrote:I would not mind a default HoS uniform that looked more intimidating and less 'dorky'. I tend to swap out to the alternative uniform since it looks better in my opinion.
Your character in the uniform looks dorky, not the uniform.

I want red medbay.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #30376

I want blackcurity.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #30745

Black pants, red tunic?
Dark blue pants, red tunic?
I'm pretty attached to Redcurity, and if we're talking about colour-coding issues with Ops, why not shift Syndicates over to black on red? Bonus points if that mirrors Security's red on black.

From the above Star Trek picture, and in keeping with the general theme of "Everything is references"

Stylecurity is always good - Can we give them armored jackets? Not the ones NT had, those were Santa jackets. NT's military jackets were fairly nice, especially combined with a nonstandard jumpsuit for that 'plainclothes' look. I would like to see the dress uniforms in the Security Clothing crate added to either the Sec lockers or the uniform lockers, and given comparable armor. I believe Bay (Or was it Paracode?) had 'Corporate Security uniforms', which were black with gold trim.

The Head of Security's Female Uniform is short shorts. Not a knee-length skirt, not a feminine-cut tunic, not plated thighboots. Fucking booty shorts. No self respecting Head of Shitcurity is going to be caught wearing booty shorts while on duty.
The Security gasmask looks terrible, and would probably be better as a face covering, not a full-head covering. I'd appreciate some sort of pocket-size alternative, if only for the hailer function.
The new helmets are good, the new armor looks armored. The new jumpsuits feel too 'soft', colour-wise; The colour palate is noticably more subdued than other departments, but the cut and detailwork is nice.
The cargo-orderable uniforms are one of my favorite pieces of gear, and I've recieved compliments while wearing them. People have mistaken me for the captain - That is how snazzy they look.
I wish the jackets were armored and could hold tasers, batons, internals, cuffs, and similar.
I wish Combat Shotguns could be carried on bulletproof, riot, HoS and Captain armor. Not Ablative, because ablative is already strong enough. Right now, the only way to safely transport a combat shotgun or ion rifle is on your back, and backpacks provide far, FAR too much utility to lose to that.
Another server (Almost certain it was d20station) had secbelts that stacked handcuffs, ammo, donuts, and other small items in the same style as mining/plant satchels, alongside W_Class(?) 21. This skyrocketed secbelts from 'iffy' to 'amazing' - Bringing the secbelt from 'handcuff/flashbang storage' to 'Carries everything you'll need' was incredible.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #31149

Dress uniforms are fantastic looking, but yeah, they aren't practical because they're not armored. Having said that, I think that's fine, they're dress uniforms after all, it's like the captain with his parade tunic. I DO think they should be able to hold weapons like normal uniforms, however. I am happy to give up armor for STYLE, but fuck no to giving up slots.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #31154

lumipharon wrote:Dress uniforms are fantastic looking, but yeah, they aren't practical because they're not armored. Having said that, I think that's fine, they're dress uniforms after all, it's like the captain with his parade tunic. I DO think they should be able to hold weapons like normal uniforms, however. I am happy to give up armor for STYLE, but fuck no to giving up slots.
Slots are not hard to add, hell I could do it.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31204

lumipharon wrote:Dress uniforms are fantastic looking, but yeah, they aren't practical because they're not armored. Having said that, I think that's fine, they're dress uniforms after all, it's like the captain with his parade tunic. I DO think they should be able to hold weapons like normal uniforms, however. I am happy to give up armor for STYLE, but fuck no to giving up slots.
The thing is, armor as damage reduction does fuckall when combat is centered around stuns and knockdowns - Hence, parade uniform, hatcurity, etc.

Assuming equal skill, an assistant and a sec officer have exactly the same amount of staying power - One stunprod, one tasebolt. Combat centers around not getting hit, far far more than reducing damage per hit.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #31230

That's the start of something, he is wearing the default sec belt.
Edit:
Hey.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31346

Could you get that shoulder flash on both sides, maybe? White/Silver for Sec, Blue for Warden, Gold for HoS?
That black seam down the left side looks a bit odd. Maybe move it in one pixel?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #31379

How about instead of red we make them black like real nazi security contractors? The HoS is black anyway.

This is a really halfassed recoloring of the current sprite but yeah, real sec guards usually wear black pants and white shirts with armor vests over them, I didn't really do this right but you know what I mean. This would probably be the best way to go about it, white shirts, black pants, and red armbands. The red berets can stay too.

The main point here is to make red a really underlying color with sec where they don't wear it all the time (their hardsuit is mostly black) so that we can leave the bright blood red to nuke ops and the syndicate.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #31394

That's actually a really good idea, I'll look into it when I get home after the weekend. Also welcome back Paprika.
Hey.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31397

Don't do what I did above because holy crap that looks identical to the bartender uniform

Actually maybe give the bartender a bowtie to tell new sec officers apart from him

Edit: Give sec red ties to tell them apart
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #31404

Maybe look at the Death Squads armour as inspiration for alt Sec sprites.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #31416

Hey.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31457

Nienhaus wrote:Image
Meh. Too similar to the bartender's white on black - Looks like a Bartender alternate. The grey center paneling would be decent to tell them apart, but that's really something that the armor would be doing.

Needs more colour variation from existing sprites - Blue, maybe? Lightblue top or darkblue bottom?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31525

Make the shirt fully white instead of white and grey, because sec usually wears armor over the middle anyway.. Give him a red armband on the left(POV) arm, the arm that department armbands don't go on. It'll look more like a security uniform in that case. Also, make the tie one px higher from the belt, it looks like a painted-on stripe instead of a tie right now.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #31610

The coolest looking jumpsuits in the game are the roboticist's, and those are roughly the right colors.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31671

Well the roboticist is supposed to be a cool mech pilot jumpsuit so departmental color scheme doesn't really play into his suit. Security should definitely be more black than red, considering the syndicate is more red than black.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #31730

Cipher3 wrote:The coolest looking jumpsuits in the game are the roboticist's, and those are roughly the right colors.
Yeah but they are only cool with labcoats, without them they look gay
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #31740

Hey.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #31754

I still think there oughta be some kind of blue in there.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #31755

Hey.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #31766

Okay now just take all of this and put it in the game, in various lockers, crates, whatever.

Imagine how cool would it be for every job to have lawyer level of clothes variety.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31800

The blue sucks. Sec has always been black and red. It works better as black pants imo. Blue looks like lawyer clothes.

Lemme get that first one in a .dmi or a .png as a sprite so I can play dress up.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #31810

No offence but those clothing options fit more the Lawyer than Security. Maybe they would be good as a Detective alt uniform or some kind of Security desk job.

They just don't look the part.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #31811

Steelpoint wrote:No offence but those clothing options fit more the Lawyer than Security. Maybe they would be good as a Detective alt uniform or some kind of Security desk job.

Just doing what was asked of me.
paprika wrote:The blue sucks. Sec has always been black and red. It works better as black pants imo. Blue looks like lawyer clothes.

Lemme get that first one in a .dmi or a .png as a sprite so I can play dress up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wxj8a1776fn88 ... d.xcf?dl=0
Hey.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31816

Steelpoint wrote:No offence but those clothing options fit more the Lawyer than Security. Maybe they would be good as a Detective alt uniform or some kind of Security desk job.

Steelpoint, what? If anything I thought you'd be the MOST on board with this style of clothing for our security team. You just need the right perspective. Look at this:

Tell me this doesn't look more like your vision of 'hardcore corporate security contractors' than what we have currently. Plus, armbands would stand out more, and security wouldn't look like syndies.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #31821

Cipher3 wrote:The coolest looking jumpsuits in the game are the roboticist's, and those are roughly the right colors.
RD sweater vest superiority
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #31824

Admittedly those do look better with the Armour/Helm/Mask.

More so the clothing by itself does not look as good, and as you noted the arm bands are a lot more noticeable.

I'll have to see more before I can form an opinion. Also gloves have to become mandatory in Security or else I won't get my 'goon' fill.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31826

BLAME ARAN WE'VE TRIED TO GET GLOVES ONTO OFFICERS 5 BILLION TIMES

I'd like it if neinhaus continued with these sprites, as in making a version for warden and HoS. HoS always has his cool inquisitor formal clothes but a formal shirt and tie for him would be neat.
Last edited by paprika on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #31827

Is that the default armour? I forgot what it actually looked like.
Hey.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #31861

We're deciding between red and black pants. Note that really only the armband and pants show up when fully armored. Nicecurity could go sans-armor and look professional with their tie if they wanted. I dunno, still in the deciding phase here, but I like white formal shirts over jumpsuits, and the old blue formals looked kind of tacky.