Dermal Armour Patch: Good night sweet prince

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Re: Dermal Armour Patch: Good night sweet prince

Post by miggles » #39170

Bottom post of the previous page:

the mask is what makes you look like a superhero, literally nothing else
there is no argument here, its just "im a coder and youre not so i get the right to do what i want"
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #39176

Those masks are pretty shit though style-wise.

I usually opt for a regular oxygen mask rather than the sec hailer when I go hatless.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #39178

miggles wrote:the mask is what makes you look like a superhero, literally nothing else
there is no argument here, its just "im a coder and youre not so i get the right to do what i want"
Its less that and more "I'm a headcoder". Anyone can be a coder really.
Murazor
Byond Username: Murazor

Post by Murazor » #39183

Saegrimr wrote:Those masks are pretty shit though style-wise.

I usually opt for a regular oxygen mask rather than the sec hailer when I go hatless.
But you can spam the shouts while flicking your telescopic in the halls, can't do that with a regular mask.
Steelpoint wrote:
miggles wrote:the mask is what makes you look like a superhero, literally nothing else
Its less that and more "I'm a headcoder". Anyone can be a coder really.
Which is why these headcoders since they somehow have power on the server/forums yet don't fall under the headmin should be removed(as clearly evidenced by when one tried removing this thread). If they want to maintain their independence, let them, just branch off of the code like every other server did with things the community likes and coders who do it for the community rather than their own spiteful ideas that nobody likes.
ImageImageImage
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39184

Murazor wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Those masks are pretty shit though style-wise.

But you can spam the shouts while flicking your telescopic in the halls, can't do that with a regular mask.
Personally, I just use the mask while I'm holding it to play the recordings since it looks kinda terrible on its own.

To the point of the thread and HG's "ruling," this will not accomplish what it sounds like it does. Pulling "rank" across lines like that will just end with more people with a bitter taste in their mouths in the future, even those uninvolved or uninterested in the specific nature of the ruling. I'm in an odd spot since I kinda have a dog in the race, but this really does put a nail on how much of a joke the "feedback" section of this forum is. When the chorus of disapproval for a change comes up and the response is "nope, veto, fuck off," what is anyone really supposed to expect in the future? Its already been established with this that posted feedback is ignored and remedy is rejected out of hand.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #39188

I can understand the justification of removing a robust invisible helmet, sure, but that's not what this was about in the first place. It was someone out to remove a set of adam jensen cosplay entirely for flimsy reasons other than "I don't like it". The argument to be had of the dermal armor patch was an afterthought, and even after the proposed significant nerfing of the armor patch it was still shot down. So this no longer looks like a problem of robustness, but more a problem of My Tastes vs Your Tastes.
Murazor wrote:But you can spam the shouts while flicking your telescopic in the halls, can't do that with a regular mask.
Shut up, crime.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #39190

I would be more than happy to compromise in nerfing the protection of the Dermal Patch by itself if I could get it back in. I like the look of the patch. But how do I compromise when my rebalances are closed and any attempt to get something going is shot down.

I will not be surprised if we see a sudden rise in PR's aimed at removing anything that references something from another game to help justify this PR, in fact that already happened.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #39192

Here's how the situation should have been handled in theory.

----

Me: I want to re add the Dermal Patch that was removed from the game, here is a long list of people who support its re addition from the feedback forum.

Headcoder: While I personally dislike the item, I can see a large amount of people want it back. Here's a compromise, what if you reduce the patch's protection as a trade off for it not being visible?

Me: I'll accept that, here are some values.

Headcoder: Ok, this seems fine/I think those values need more adjusting/etc, etc.

----

Instead, we got this!

----

Me: I want to re add the Dermal Patch that was removed from the game, here is a long list of people who support its re addition from the feedback forum.

Headcoder: We refuse to re add the item. We won't compromise despite the overwhelming support.

Me: ...

----
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #39193

Steelpoint wrote:I will not be surprised if we see a sudden rise in PR's aimed at removing anything that references something from another game to help justify this PR, in fact that already happened.
Better start with the reference in the soda machines too, if we're getting rid of any deus ex references.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #39220

Cheridan wrote:Let me tell you a little story. I returned from a period of being burnt out to the game, a long while ago. So I'm traitor, or something, and I see this guy running around in a black jumpsuit with this shitty dumpy black coat. He looked like a space hobo, and since he was wearing all black I figured he was a chaplain or something. So I jump him in escape, and he goes down. And I start to hit him in the head. And keep hitting, and hitting, and hitting... Then he pops right up and tases the shit out of me, because oops as it turns out that dumpy hobo was the HoS who happened to be wearing the most powerful and most invisible headgear in the game, which had been added during my hiatus.
So hitting everybody in the head all the time has a downside? Wow, how is that even possible. Clearly shouldn't ever happen.

It goes without saying that it's good to at least take a closer look at someone you're about to kill. The least you can do.

Why the fuck would you ever remove sprites anyway? They just add variety.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #39244

Because the coderbus is full of NOFUNALLOWED assholes.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39245

iyaerP wrote:Because the coderbus is full of NOFUNALLOWED assholes.
This is rapidly becoming the case it seems.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #39249

Paprika stop changing shit you dont know how to use. The dermal armor patch is for the cmo during a rev round because the cmo is one of the most prone heads to a rev attack and it would be very not oath-like to wear visible armor. Even the rd gets anti-rev measures via teleportation armor.
Think before you change the game.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #39251

Why is the dermal patch all of a sudden a problem? It takes 1 second to shift click the guy who wears it 99% of the time to see if he has it on.

I find it interesting that a bunch of bullshit is being shoved down our throats right before a code freeze. If you can't act reasonable HornyGranny as a headcoder then you need to step down. Do us all a favor.

Edit: It would be nice if coderbus had a real stance on copyright. Right now all we get is "I don't like that and will use the classic copyright excuse to support my claim".
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #39252

ThatSlyFox wrote:Why is the dermal patch all of a sudden a problem? It takes 1 second to shift click the guy who wears it 99% of the time to see if he has it on.

I find it interesting that a bunch of bullshit is being shoved down our throats right before a code freeze. If you can't act reasonable HornyGranny as a headcoder then you need to step down. Do us all a favor.

Edit: It would be nice if coderbus had a real stance on copyright. Right now all we get is "I don't like that and will use the classic copyright excuse to support my claim".
Copyright has almost always been used as a flimsy excuse to (attempt to) deny PR's. While I understand the desire to avoid such events, the only way a certain item would be in copyright violation is if it was directly ripped from a game's files (impossible) or directly named after a character/organization/whatever. Of which no item I can think of does this.

To date, the only actual excuse given to why the item (Dermal Patch/Black HoS Uniform) should not be re added is because the patch is invisible. All other reasons is due to either personal preference or position of power. HG simply denied any attempt to reach a compromise and gave no excuse aside from a personal opinion on the uniform design.

I really am perplexed as to why there is such stiff resistance for the readdition of the affected items. More so since the only reasons as to their removal that have been put forward are, as I have stated above, personal opinion.

EDIT: In my opinion, coderbus as a whole have handled this situation extremely poorly. Firstly the fact that the headcoders seemingly condone the hostile behaviour of paprika, a attempt by a headcoder to delete this very thread (which only was just barely avoiding), failure to offer a proper excuse or just out right state why they want it gone and blatantly ignoring the desire of the overwhelming majority opinion on a matter that, to be frank, should not be getting this much attention.

Unlike the speed nerf which had a rough 50/50 split in support, this has roughly 95/5 support in favour of the items re addition.

EDIT2: Amusing image I found on singulo which reinforces my point above.

http://www.singulo.io/tg/src/1414494162111.png
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #39267

Thiiis thread should really be locked before it turns into more shitflinging. Put a complaint in admin feedback for all of the shit, but this has gone on a bit long, honestly.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39269

Raven776 wrote:Put a complaint in admin feedback for all of the shit, but this has gone on a bit long, honestly.
That would be apt, but its not an issue about admins.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #39272

I really wanted to redo the gas masks to be more rebreather type things so shades were still visible and shit

Also lol excuse me for being hostile in the turtlenecks PR when you and miggles have been sperging constantly all over github, completely unwelcome. You brought that on yourselves with your childish tirades in my other PR comments.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #39273

cedarbridge wrote:
Raven776 wrote:Put a complaint in admin feedback for all of the shit, but this has gone on a bit long, honestly.
That would be apt, but its not an issue about admins.
Isn't HG an admin?

I thought they were. In which case, them facilitating this kind of behavior that you find negative is an admin complaint.

Slinging shit at Paprika won't get anything done because he has admin backing and therefore can do whatever the hell they please until that ceases to be the case.

And since admins and coders are what make this game go 'round and 'round, all the popular opinion and support won't change much unless you appeal to other admins who might appeal to them.

But the BIGGEST reason to lock this thread and be done with it is because NOTHING WILL CHANGE BY SCREAMING IN IT FOR FIVE MORE PAGES.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #39279

paprika wrote:I really wanted to redo the gas masks to be more rebreather type things so shades were still visible and shit

Also lol excuse me for being hostile in the turtlenecks PR when you and miggles have been sperging constantly all over github, completely unwelcome. You brought that on yourselves with your childish tirades in my other PR comments.
"disagreeing with me a few times gives me the right to blow up on you for nonhostile behavior"
is this a new meme by paprika?
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #39282

Good thread, I think we all really managed to find some solid understanding and agreement :arrow:
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #39317

>admin backing
I'm pretty sure all the admins hate me.
>head coder backing
Good luck changing their minds. I doubt any of them have a super high opinion of me but at least, unlike all of you, they can see a shitty snowflake feature when they see one and realize this is not that big of a deal at all.

You'll need to calm down. Be creative, make new stuff for the HoS, 'no hat but still armor' is snowflake and crap. I removed these things to pave the way for creative, interesting additions that aren't stupid cosplay snowflake garbo. Feel free to replace my drill sergeant hat, even, it was made in like 10 minutes. I still think we should keep alt uniforms to a minimum, especially ones that have armoring, and having separate wardrobe lockers just for heads seems... silly, to say the least.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #39318

Someone make a force helmet with psyker themes from grimdark40k
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #39320

I've literally never used the black jumpsuit, but really I'm never against more cosmetic variety (except those damn garglasses being round start shit in NT... they stuck out the sides of hardsuits and shit.), were playing an awful shitty game, atleast we can have fun playing dress up.

Also yeah, the sec gas mask is shit, literally exists so you can look like a faceless thug (which is only sometimes appropriate).
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #39333

paprika wrote:You'll need to calm down.
My sides.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #39346

What if the Dermal Patch was changed to have a minor red flicker every couple of seconds as part of a animation? That would make it very obvious that it exists.

I've said this 50 times, I like the Dermal Patch because it lets me appear more approachable as the HoS without sacrificing protection to a significant degree. You do lose flashbang protection without the glasses and believe you me that is a big deal in some situations.

I've even offered to lower the patches melee protection as well.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #39362

This thread has gotten way off topic and I'm tired of moderating it. If I were to delete all the off topic shit we'd be at like, what, 30 posts? Not worth the effort over what everyone admits is a trivial thing.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter