"Prevent X From Escaping" objective

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

"Prevent X From Escaping" objective

Post by MMMiracles » #53286

As it stands right now, the 'prevent x from escaping' objective is essentially a reworded version of 'assassinate x'. I've yet to see this objective actually involve trapping/locking someone in and marooning them for the greentext, as it's a hell of a lot easier just to kill them and stuff the body somewhere. The objective really needs some reworking or just removed.

If reworked, it should probably fall over the vice of the target needs to be alive and on the station z-level for it to greentext. Give the fluff reasoning behind that the target did some serious shit to piss off the syndicate/their worth quite a bit of credit if brought in alive, so they want you to keep them bound somewhere on the station so they can deal with them personally after-shift. Can easily lead to some more interesting antag encounters past revolver glack glack/esword to the face.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: "Prevent X From Escaping" objective

Post by Saegrimr » #53288

Had a dude help me set up an autism fort in maint, and told me if he saw me on the shuttle he'd kill me. "No hard feelings".

I was just happy he let me live. I'll chill in my fort.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #53295

MMMiracles wrote: Give the fluff reasoning behind that the target did some serious shit to piss off the syndicate/their worth quite a bit of credit if brought in alive, so they want you to keep them bound somewhere on the station so they can deal with them personally after-shift. Can easily lead to some more interesting antag encounters past revolver glack glack/esword to the face.
Why not make it a kidnapping objective a la ninja's energy net only way less overpowered then?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #53296

Energy Net was never really overpowered to start with, you had to restrain and hold down the person for 30 seconds, they could freely move out of the net. That makes the kidnapping objectives for the Ninja quite hard.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #53300

Honestly it's fine as an alternative to assassination. Even if it might not be used to simply hold them back usually, it gives that option as opposed to assassination, which I believe is the intent. If it's designed to be harder than asssassinate or something, it doesn't achieve that. But just because people usually don't take the option isn't a grounds for removal.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #53301

Steelpoint wrote:Energy Net was never really overpowered to start with, you had to restrain and hold down the person for 30 seconds, they could freely move out of the net. That makes the kidnapping objectives for the Ninja quite hard.
Well, by less overpowered I meant to say have it involve a little more than simply incapacitating your target and waiting for 30 seconds. That seems a pretty boring.