Fast Atmos

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
kevinthezhang
Byond Username: Kevinthezhang

Fast Atmos

Post by kevinthezhang » #88713

I noticed that atmos has gotten WAY faster in terms of the movement of air throughout a closed room. This has meant that breaches in the hull are much quicker to depressurize any local areas. I'm not sure if I totally agree with this since it is already hard enough to fill a depressurized room up again with air; If some big area gets depressurized then it is almost impossible to repressurize (and even worse if atmos techs don't do their jobs).

Another side effect that MAY be caused by this is that space vines spread absurdly fast (perhaps vine propogation is treated like atmos? or this could have been a new change as well)

Thoughts?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Re: Fast Atmos

Post by Remie Richards » #88715

If you patch up all the holes in the room and then start pumping in new air, it should re-pressurise faster than it used to, since every aspect of atmos is faster.
私は完璧
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #88716

frustrating thing about fastmos to me is that you can't really use fire for area denial anymore, it'll burn through all the plasma and/or air fairly quickly or burn through the floor
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
kevinthezhang
Byond Username: Kevinthezhang

Post by kevinthezhang » #88717

The logic is that the area becomes uninhabitable very quickly, and then becomes fixed ONLY shortly after someone starts fixing it.

It's also very difficult to repressurize areas that do not have pumps, i.e. maint. (you'll have to open multiple air canisters, not sure how many)
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #88722

That's how hull breaches work.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #88748

I'd suggest porting ZAS, but we all know how that would turn out.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #88749

Why would we ever port an inferior system?
私は完璧
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88750

>zas
>inferior

ZAS is god-tier. Angry Wind God, yes, but still god-tier.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #88753

>Not calling it "Fastmos"

This was something MSO and I talked briefly about and changed while I was hosting.
The thought was that depressurized areas are going to lose all atmos anyway, because people are usually pretty slow to fix them.
Speeding up the loss also speeds up the recovery, so when people do finally get around to fixing it you don't have an area that looks fixed and operational but still kills everyone who tries to walk through it for the remainder of the round.

ZAS is stupid. Physics does not work that way.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88755

Well, ZAS is slightly less stupid than the molasses we have now.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #88757

What we need to do is make oxygen have the flammability of plasma. Keep everything else the same, but make it hyper-flammable.

Let's make light overload events matter. -flicks Zippo on-
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #88767

DemonFiren wrote:Well, ZAS is slightly less stupid than the molasses we have now.
No it's not. The molasses we have right now is more accurate than ZAS.
TheNightingale wrote:What we need to do is make oxygen have the flammability of plasma. Keep everything else the same, but make it hyper-flammable.

Let's make light overload events matter. -flicks Zippo on-
Oxygen is flammable. It's just that there's so little of it in normal "air" mixture and it's balanced out with so many inert gasses that it doesn't matter. Big booms are 2/3rds O2.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #88790

When shitters, or even antags go around smashing all the windows, it makes the station go to shit real fast - engineers can't fix the damage fast enough, and it's hard to catch the guy unless they're being really obvious about it.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #88808

I don't get what you're saying. People breaking windows and venting gas out of the station should fuck things up and make it hard to survive.

That's why it's Grand Sabotage. If you're caught doing it it's permabrig worthy/potentially an execution if the Captain agrees.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #88810

I like FASTMOS. I makes being an atmos tech way more fun. I adminhelped the first time I saw it in action and then got a murderboner when Antonkr explained. Fortunately, I got traitor the very next round, so PLASMA FIRES, ALL DAY ERRY DAY!

It makes flooding plasma feel dangerous as hell again, which for a long while, wasn't the case.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88823

It's more realistic then before yes but I'm saying there is very little you can do if someone goes out of their way to just smash windows all of the station/in maint etc.
It's even worse if they're zooming around in space with a jetpack and fireaxe.

Basically if someone abusing it, it's uncounterable gay shit that doesn't achieve anything other then making the crew miserable.
iyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #88830

Lumi, let's be honest. Before fastmos, a hull breach was only a mild annoyance unless you were standing on top of it. Hull breaches should be a major cause of concern, and a mild to moderate threat to the station itself, not an annoyance that is mostly ignored.
Falamazeer
Byond Username: Wootanon

Post by Falamazeer » #88833

I agree, hull breaches should be extremely dangerous, and even more so, should be considered extremely dangerous, Where it's a major offense to do such a terrible thing
Then it'll balance out, where doing it will get you to expect you to get your shit kicked in.
Ham Sammich, beating a dead horse since 2010.
NikNakFlak wrote:....It's true...that is why I removed my forum avatar
lumipharon wrote:ass parasite was pretty meh when I tried it.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #88835

iyaerP wrote:Lumi, let's be honest. Before fastmos, a hull breach was only a mild annoyance unless you were standing on top of it. Hull breaches should be a major cause of concern, and a mild to moderate threat to the station itself, not an annoyance that is mostly ignored.
This.

Most of the time a hull breech wouldn't get noticed or reported until there was nothing left to breathe anyway. With Fastmos you can fix and make the air livable faster than before. No need to relay-run a bunch of Air-mix cans to the affected area. The portable Air Compressors and Air Filters can actually do their jobs without needing all of them in the same area.

It also mitigates the goofy problem were you try to empty a bunch of breathable gas into an area quickly, and instead of getting a volume of air filling the space you have two areas:

Area one still has nothing to breathe in it GG ded
Area two has breathable gasses but at a crushing pressure GG ded
Falamazeer wrote:I agree, hull breaches should be extremely dangerous, and even more so, should be considered extremely dangerous, Where it's a major offense to do such a terrible thing
Then it'll balance out, where doing it will get you to expect you to get your shit kicked in.
Making holes to space has (maybe surprisingly) always been a Capital Crime but it's been so laughably slow and harmless I don't think most folks care and so just assume it's the much more lenient punishment of major vandalism. Like I said before anyone punching a hole to space for whatever reason is a-okay to get tossed into perma for the remainder of the round according to current spess law.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88836

I'm realise that, I'm just saying, as perfectly shown in a round yesterday, a guy flew around with a jetpack and fireaxe, and broke EVERY FUCKING WINDOW on the station.

The engineers cannot fix that shit very fast, and without a jetpack of my own, it was effectively impossible to stop the fucker since tasers are range limited, and even if it hit he would just drift off into space then come back, while lasers/disablers takes a shit load of hits on a moving target in zero-gee to put him down.

This isn't an argument of realism, but gameplay.

When it's breaches in the normal course of gamplay, it's perfectly fine.

I'm not saying plz revert, it's just an issue to keep in mind, that one guy can essentially grief the whole station with very little way to stop or prevent them from doing so.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #88840

That seems more like a problem with sec's inability to handle one guy than an issue with the rate at which gasses move between tiles.

I've done that same tactic myself before as a traitor. It's a good way to distract all of engineering and clear out certain areas from folks milling around. It seems like a balanced trade. With Fastmos you can make sure an area is a problem faster than before, but if you want it to stay a problem you have to keep attacking it to make sure it never gets a chance to refill.

Whereas before you would have to wait a lot longer before something became a problem, but you were also guaranteed in a lot of cases that that area would be fucked for a loooooooong time. Atmos techs would have to spend a lot longer refilling each individual area manually, even with a properly calibrated loop and some vent mastery by the time you fixed one place everything else that was exposed would likely bleed out again. This bump makes the ambient atmos processors on the station able to handle their job much more efficiently...freeing up those techs to run off and start making repairs on the next section earlier.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Mon May 18, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
iyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #88841

Don't all hardsuits now have a built in jetpack? GO GO GADGET SPACE CHASE!

Sec should probably get a decent sized O2 tank in their hardsuit lockers. Still keep their shitty ones for their basic internal boxes, but have a good one inside the sec hardsuit locker itself.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #88843

Has anyone played toxins since this? Holy shit, you can make maxcaps in 2~ minutes
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88844

Try catching a guy with tasers, jetpack and pulling a gas canister behind them.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #88845

Someone should go fuck around with the turbine and see if this new gas rate exchange has superclocked that thing. IIRC upgrading both sections of it with the proper mix under "slowmos" could easily provide enough juice to run the whole station without a singularity or solars.

I wonder if this update might actually necessitate a (i hate to say it) nerf of the (glorious) turbine.
lumipharon wrote:Try catching a guy with tasers, jetpack and pulling a gas canister behind them.
And an ID that reads "Ronald Jerome" I bet.

What your describing is nothing new and unrelated to fastmos.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #88846

iyaerP wrote:Don't all hardsuits now have a built in jetpack? GO GO GADGET SPACE CHASE!

Sec should probably get a decent sized O2 tank in their hardsuit lockers. Still keep their shitty ones for their basic internal boxes, but have a good one inside the sec hardsuit locker itself.
>shitty roundstart o2 tank
>fill it to max pressure, 16 psi output
>last forever
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #88850

Jeb wrote:
iyaerP wrote:Don't all hardsuits now have a built in jetpack? GO GO GADGET SPACE CHASE!

>last forever
Ehhhhhh not quite. You'd be surprised how many times we'd get a PM from someone screaming HELP IM DYING FO NO RAISINS because their internals have become a suicide mask. If you're a smartguy and only turning it on when you think you might need it you're golden. If you're just slapping it on your face at roundstart and assuming you never need to worry again you might get a rude awakening around the 70 minute mark or so.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #88868

An0n3 wrote:
Jeb wrote:

>last forever
Ehhhhhh not quite. You'd be surprised how many times we'd get a PM from someone screaming HELP IM DYING FO NO RAISINS because their internals have become a suicide mask. If you're a smartguy and only turning it on when you think you might need it you're golden. If you're just slapping it on your face at roundstart and assuming you never need to worry again you might get a rude awakening around the 70 minute mark or so.
"forever" AIRQUOTES
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
iyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #88882

I've had it happen more than once.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #88884

Nah it was just some random traitor, and even after a miner gave me a jetpack, it was still impossible to catch him, was pretty gay.

Basically it's like releasing the singulo - happens occasionally, ok, happens every round? Fuckyouandeatadongyoufuckingasswankfromthedepthsofshit.jpg
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #88930

Ugh that window breaker gimmick drives me into a furious rage, I actually have to disconnect in order to not do something silly.

Seems to be in vogue at the moment, so i've been avoiding playing. hopefully the admins will start boinking people who keep doing it over and over
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #88940

Play Basil in the meantime, ours is the better server.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: