Fast Atmos Compatibility Issues/General Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Tunder
Byond Username: Tunderchief

Fast Atmos Compatibility Issues/General Feedback

Post by Tunder » #91677

I can't help but notice that, since Fast Atmos, Arrivals and eventually the center of the station are very often devoid of air and/or pressure very early in-game for no good reason.

This comes from the fact that reinforced windows out to space were flimsy, but compatible with the old Atmos system, where a hull breach was like opening a window to space. There was plenty of time to notice and patch things up if, say, a stray meteorite knocked out an Arrivals hall window towards the south end where nobody ever goes without a good reason. Also, as a result of the old, slow atmospheric mechanics, smashing out a window as a nonantag was never really a big deal. I'm sure that people have gotten bwoinked for it in the past, but I've seen the player responsible proceed unmolested more often than not. I think that, to preserve the station and stop early shuttle calls due to pressure/air problems, breaching the station needs to be taken more seriously in general, and that perhaps random non-event meteorites should be removed, or the windows should be upgraded to shuttle-tier resistance levels to compensate.

I put duplicates of this thread in both Ideas and Policy Discussion, to get the ball rolling on how best to make the station, map and griff policies compatible with Fast Atmos.
Last edited by Tunder on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
wól dir, spér, kriuze únde dorn,
wê dir, heiden, dáz ist dir zorn.
Marflow
Byond Username: Marflow

Re: Fast Atmos Compatibility

Post by Marflow » #91705

It does seem like few of the new updates have not taken into account the old boxy map. Fastmos and pipecrawling both are very very dangerous. With Fastmos suffocating/melting everyone is a lot more easier than it used to be, which isn't really a bad thing in itself but it shows how box wasn't designed for it. With pipecrawling same applies, one can easily cripple the entire station with just one ling with lesser form and EMP, including killing the AI without it ever noticing, releasing singulo and shutting down gravity. Granted, stations shouldn't be designed that much for latter but atmos should be a big concern when building a station.
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #92201

I ran around the station the other day with a fireaxe smashing windows on the station. The central halls were all devoid of air by the end of the round. I don't think breaking a few windows in south arrivals should cause the whole west arm of the station to turn to vacuum.

A "solution" to this "problem" would be to integrate firelocks with the existing air alarms. Throw down the firelocks to contain pressure loss. All the sci-fi source material from years past have these massive barriers slamming down to contain breaches, often dooming those trapped behind.

I guess the question becomes how well this is balanced. In my mind, you could both improve and nerf hull breaches by doing the following:
  • Add pressure loss as a condition for firelock activation.
  • Improve the fire alarm functionality by adding arm/disarm to activation. Disarming would only last a predefined length of time before rearming (~10 seconds?)
  • Remove the ability to crowbar a powered firelock, rendering it an ability of the AI to assist or doom the crew, or for the crew to disarm the firelock.
  • Naturally, you'd be able to hack the fire alarms to permanently disarm them. Is this already a feature? I don't know.
Thoughts? Too much of a boost to AI plasmafloods?
Mime: Depresso
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #92214

Despressurising the station through breaking windows is really shitty simply because the station is too big, and it takes too long to notice and fix broken windows compared to breaking them.
Overall fastmos is great, but this one specific way to abuse it which is basically just grief, is really shitty.

Lings in the vents is truly fucking awful.

Flooding distro with high pressure isn't enough to kill the ling since they can just abuse engorged ballsacks and fleshmend to never die, while still emping shit from the vents.
The only reliable way to fuck them (other then sealing every single vent/scrubber) is to flood distro with poisonous gas (theoretically you can do this safely but eh), or supposedly if you get into the vents yourself (as a monkey or a slime) you can deal with them.

According to the RD who slimed people to make them into ling hunters claimed, anyway.

It's also pretty dumb that you can see everything while crawling around in a pipe under the floor.
And that conversely, you cannot detect when some fat ass alien, or ling monkey is wriggling around in a pipe. You should hear some scurrying sound if they're oving in pipes near you, or some shit.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #92291

I was the ling in the vents and the slimes barely inconvenienced me. Poisonous gases would mean that occasionally instead of pressing the fleshmend button I'd push the anatomic panacea button. I mean theoretically high pressure poisonous gas would slow it down but that sounds like a real pain in the are to set up every ling round.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #92298

lumipharon wrote:You should hear some scurrying sound if they're oving in pipes near you, or some shit.
You do, you literally do, the new clanging sound effect that came with the port I did is played whenever a ventcrawling mob moves (with a 3 second forced delay between each sound as to not make it annoying)
It's that sound you need to listen for, and it's really obvious tbh.

Edit: Corrected 30 seconds to 30 ticks (3 seconds)
Last edited by Remie Richards on Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
私は完璧
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #92301

You can travel pretty far in 30 seconds.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #92306

Well yes, but I actually got the number wrong, it's 30 TICKS, 3 seconds, apologies.
私は完璧
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #92308

Is this fast atmos feedback general?

Fuck it. Ore boxes have to be pushed inside which is just an awkward shuffle. Also, dragging people inside is annoying as FUUUUCK.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha