Gauze

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Gauze

Post by Amelius » #93774

Why use it? In almost every situation where gauze can be obtained, bruise packs and ointment can be as well (medkits scattered fucking everywhere). There's no reason to use it above a real heal, given that it takes time to apply and doesn't heal the damage, while ointment/bruise packs do.

What I propose, is making gauze application instant. Yes, this doesn't fix the entire issue, but it's definitely something that would make it viable to carry around and use if you don't have the time/resources to heal yourself.

Any other ideas to fixing this relic of Paprika's?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Gauze

Post by Incomptinence » #93792

Stops bleeding I think.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #93793

Only temporarily, whilst bruise packs stop it permanently. They're supposed to be a last resort kind of thing to keep people stable until they can get medical help, as medical help should stop the bleeding permanently. As it stands, they're hardly used for exactly that reason.
I guess you could make them more abundant.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #93795

Wow I totally misunderstood and thought they were the designated permanent bleeding stopper and bruise packs didn't do it. Guess with all the screwing with medbay I haven't had a real reason to play doctor in a while.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #93878

For a second there I thought we had got some sort of emergency "tear your jumpsuit to shreds and bodge-patch a wound feature. I'm now sad.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #93886

Make gauze the only way to stop bleeding (except maybe CPR). Gauze on wounded limb stops bleeding temporarily until healed. Problem solved. Maybe make some ghetto gauze to temporarily top bleeding as well, from sheets or paper.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #93913

Lumbermancer wrote:Make gauze the only way to stop bleeding (except maybe CPR). Gauze on wounded limb stops bleeding temporarily until healed. Problem solved. Maybe make some ghetto gauze to temporarily top bleeding as well, from sheets or paper.
> stops bleeding temporarily

That'd just be irritating as hell. No need for more general nerfs in the line of most everything in the past couple years, seriously, you're crippled enough at low health that exhausting massive amounts of gauze every few minutes on each bleeding limb in any occupied situation would be ridiculously unwiedy and generally terrible for everyone. I'd rather go further away from Bay, not closer to it like we have been.

Does said change add value? Would players enjoy having to do that? Gotta ask these questions, gauze being useless isn't a symptom that needs to be fixed by making it have a specific purpose, and nerfing other tools to that end isn't necessarily a good solution either - for instance, bleeding can be rolled back since it is no longer maintained (Pap), it's use could be incentivized without making it unwieldy and a nuisance (I doubt anyone would enjoy having to reapply it constantly, so instant use would be apt in conjunct with a minor speed buff [in muh realism it would be a splint and such] despite wounds would work). Also keep in mind gauze is not creatable on station, so even if you could rip up jumpsuits and such for ghetto gauze, the station could run out in totality at a point, which is plain poor design.

We should be focused more on buffing things, rather than nerfing them like the tradition here has become. I think people, mostly the old guard, myself included are fed up with it.

Hell, we could remove bleeding in totality, keep gauze, and use it as a readily-available way to temporarily heal yourself with instant application (you'd take the damage slowly over time inversely proportional to the strength of the gauze and proportional to the magnitude of your injuries, and it can't be re-applied until the wound is healed, but it would still provide a way for both antags and crew to get around and escape pursuit and so on without the massive speed malus from being wounded for a period of time).

Just my 2c.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #93915

People want the game to be more lethal.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Amelius

Post by Amelius » #93917

Lumbermancer wrote:People want the game to be more lethal.
If you didn't read his post, his definition of 'extremely lethal' entails that it's easier to die but also easier to heal from non-lethal injuries, not that everything is cumbersome and irritating. I think this is more of a discussion for that thread, but I think I'd personally prefer that sort of combat-oriented direction, rather than Baymed.

Think a few years back with Trekchem and instant bruise/ointment application, but also parapen/c4, parasting, stun gloves, and so on.
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #93919

Styptic patches heal permanently and are applied instantly (to yourself), gauze stops bleeding temporarily and takes time to apply. Pretty much the biggest source of gauze is from medkits, which also contain styptic patches. Gauze is 99% superfluous and doesn't serve any real purpose in game because a strictly better solution is readily available in exactly the same location. Maybe if you're out mining and used all the brute patches or something, gauze might buy you a few minutes. Can you even apply it through suits? I do not know!

Instant gauze would help. Replacing gauze with other useful medical gear would also be quite alright.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #93924

Only brute medkits (pink) contain styptic patches. The standard-issue white medkit you see everywhere has bruise packs, ointment, a health analyzer, a medipen (epinephrine) and gauze.
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #93926

I thought white kits had styptic kits for some reason. Bruise packs can also eliminate bleeding though. It's more tedious, but it works.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #93928

Babin wrote:I thought white kits had styptic kits for some reason. Bruise packs can also eliminate bleeding though. It's more tedious, but it works.
How is it more tedious? It works exactly the same.
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #93951

Bruise packs have to be applied to every damaged location on the body, making it a lot harder to heal people who've been damaged by pressure loss. Patches just heal people everywhere.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #93953

Really? I've been using them wrong the whole time.
Amnestik
Byond Username: Amnestik

Post by Amnestik » #94057

I've used it a couple of times. Either on the way to medbay, or because medbay was disabled and I didn't have a FAK.

It serves its purpose.