AI Feedback: Constructive Edition

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: AI Feedback: Constructive Edition

Post by CPTANT » #95287

Bottom post of the previous page:

Gun Hog wrote:EMP now causes camera alarms AFTER the camera comes back online. So, feel free to shut down entire departments with a massive EMP wave, and freely slaughter people, as they have no radio, AI has no sight, energy weapons are drained. You will have 90 seconds before the AI gets any warning or visibility in the area, and this timer can be reset by consecutive EMPs without setting off the alarm. Furthermore, you may safety destroy cameras by simply hitting them. Fire off an EMP to shut down the area, then hit all cameras you can reach within 90 seconds to silently take down an area. Remember, headsets are also disabled by EMP, which means that it is now quite easy to silence and murder several people at once.
Good, traitors aren't nearly aggressive enough now.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #95353

the camera alarm on restart doesn't even make any sense

who designs a camera alarm that triggers when it turns back on? i mean wat da fuc

an alarm that's designed to tell you when a camera is out should trigger on loss of signal from the camera but instead it triggers on return of signal? how does that make any sense

i'm not against nerfs but at least think about it, not only is it counter-intuitive but from an engineering / gameplay standpoint it makes no sense at all
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #95375

Because it doesn't work when it has no power duh.

Nanotrasen a dumb keep your selective realism away.
Cik

Post by Cik » #95389

how about game reason

"what is point of alarm if it doesn't trigger when the thing actually happen"

either make the alarm useful or just remove it, it's certainly not useful now "oh i have alarm it tell me emp went off over a minute ago"

seems useful

y/n

thx
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #95391

It is more useful than no alarm at all.
Cik

Post by Cik » #95393

not really considering it just clutters the chat. it's very likely that in most cases an AI will see a blacked out region long before the EMP alarm shows up anyway. it'd be better if it was just removed.
Spoiler:
that or do the sane thing and just make it so it triggers when the EMP does.. you know considering a massive EM pulse isn't exactly a fucking stealthy thing, is it?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #95399

Cik wrote:not really considering it just clutters the chat. it's very likely that in most cases an AI will see a blacked out region long before the EMP alarm shows up anyway. it'd be better if it was just removed.
Spoiler:
that or do the sane thing and just make it so it triggers when the EMP does.. you know considering a massive EM pulse isn't exactly a fucking stealthy thing, is it?
That is how it was before Miauw nerfed it. I begged him to undo it, but I was shot down.
Cik

Post by Cik » #95408

well gee gun hog i know that ya dummy :^)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #95422

how about no EMP alarm because it's been discussed at length and the cons outweigh the pros by a mile
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #95469

EMP should have a 10% alarm chance, so the less careful you are with your EMPing (and therefore the more cameras you hit) The more likely the AI is to notice
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #95470

I dislike RNG in most forms, and I think it makes good game play sense that when a camera EMP alarm is only set off once the camera comes back online.

It puts a time pressure on whoever set off the EMP to do what they need to do before the time expires.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #95476

Yeah, but you can stack EMPs to reset the timer, and the timer is a minute and a half, so if you're a ling with EMPshriek, you can run around murdering people as they scream into their useless headsets, drag the highest-access corpse into maint, and unhack the doors, and unless the AI is looking at the department when the comms go down, you'll be undetected
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #95479

Well either we live with that or put in a inbuilt EMP defence that triggers after a EMP is detected on a camera. Meaning that once you EMP a camera you cannot use another EMP on it for a certain amount of time.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #95487

its called fire alarms
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Celdur
Byond Username: Celdurr

Post by Celdur » #95529

I don't see the problem with camera alarms after the fact. I mean we talked a lot about how the AI shouldn't be hunting down antags but instead just focus on the victims of harm.
Once the cameras go back and the AI gets an alarm, he can go and check the damage.
Being able to constantly reset the cameras with more EMP seems like it can be exploited too much though.
Maybe just have it so you can't EMP something that is already EMP'd, so there'd be at least a split second of the cameras coming back online.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #95539

I like the concept of EMPd cameras triggering a camera alarm after their "first" EMP runs out, but remaining inactive.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
rockpecker
Byond Username: Rockpecker

Post by rockpecker » #95576

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Yeah, but you can stack EMPs to reset the timer, and the timer is a minute and a half, so if you're a ling with EMPshriek, you can run around murdering people as they scream into their useless headsets, drag the highest-access corpse into maint, and unhack the doors, and unless the AI is looking at the department when the comms go down, you'll be undetected
Sounds like fun.
Remove the AI.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #95623

Problem is, your chems will run out eventually.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #95693

How many chems is the ling EMP anyway? Fifteen? Twenty?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #95716

Wiki says 20.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saltycut
Byond Username: Saltycut

Post by Saltycut » #96066

How are you supposed to bludgeon the cameras? I can only interact with them with screwdriver and wirecutters. Clicking them with other objects does nothing.
Femstation 5ever
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #96071

My guess is harm intent.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #96111

the delayed alarm is nice for emp's.
Before, it wascompletely pointless since every silicon would know shit was going down before it happened, and would be checking it out.

Now, the person has a window of time to do whatever they're doing, before they find out.

Smashing cameras, while believable, is pretty bad balance (poor malfs), since they lose coverage everywhere in no time at all.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #96267

Smashing cams feels a bit OP against malf/traitor AI. It's already greatly simplified, requiring only a screwdriver and wirecutter that every assistant carries. Expanding that to the rest of the crew feels a bit tilted away from the AI.

Shit also sucks if you're the vanilla AI and you lose your entire field of vision without blinking because of one dude with a toolbox.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #96274

Malf AI has powers to reactivate broken cameras. Besides... people usually don't cut cameras because they are lazy and it takes quite a bit of time to find every camera in your area - time that could be better spent breaking into the core, sealing vents or drinking in the bar.
As long as it takes about just as much time to bash in a camera as it would to cut its wires, not much will change.
Whenever I am going HARM as rogue AI, there's maybe ONE person cutting cameras in some dumb place and that is it. And if I am an engineer on the recieving end, I don't disable cameras either. Wasted time in most cases.
Shit also sucks if you're the vanilla AI and you lose your entire field of vision without blinking because of one dude with a toolbox.
I hope you realize the irony in tha - wait, were you being ironic? You were, right? Damn I fell for that one... or did I?
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #96292

you currently need an object with a force of OVER 10, due to a typo. so a lot of things dont work right now :x