The Being, or "Another Goddamn Xhuis Gamemode"

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

What should the antagonist be called?

The Being
39%
The Protean
30%
Other (leave a reply)
9%
I don't care
21%

Total votes: 33

Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Re: The Being, or "Another Goddamn Xhuis Gamemode"

Post by Dagdammit » #215792

Bottom post of the previous page:

Xhuis wrote:This is the first tangible bit of progress. It's admittedly not much and uses a horrendous codersprite that's temporary, but behold: the corpuscle.
I know it's a codersprite, but one quick thought:
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #215799

Dagdammit wrote:
Xhuis wrote:This is the first tangible bit of progress. It's admittedly not much and uses a horrendous codersprite that's temporary, but behold: the corpuscle.
I know it's a codersprite, but one quick thought:
The image is generated from the appearance of whoever rooted. It'll be a lot more irregularly fused in the final sprite.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
MimicFaux
Byond Username: MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux » #215813

jaxy15 wrote:Plasma cutters should do extra damage to Necromorphs Follicles.
I'm glad someone else saw this similarity. Xhius, byond taking ideas from SCP, look into the Dead Space series as well as perhaps SOMA for material. With a few exceptions, both are following a very similar archetype you are building here and will give you lots of ideas for how integration of both crew and station could be implemented. And please, oh god, make that food processor cloner a thing. That is just a horrifically morbid concept. Victims of the round occasionally brought back to a short and agonizing life before being consumed again.
ImageImageImage
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #215932

Absolutely seconded re: SOMA, I'd love to see that be an influence. Really notable as a fairly fresh take on this concept IMO- the WAU is great both as a monstrous force and as a novel extension of various sci-fi concepts. I would honestly love to see the core premise steal some of the really good justifications from this game, especially: http://soma.wikia.com/wiki/Structure_Gel

Basically instead of "weird magic flesh", what if the Being's stuff was all a kind of... invasive constructor ferrofluid that hosts a distibuted rampant superintelligence? Neither flesh not inanimate and it invades+reshapes both towards new ends.
"So we just made a powerful enemy." "No no, its not like that. The (WAU) isn't a persona, it doesn't feel or think like we do. It's more like... it's more like a cancer."
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #215940

I like THE FLESH more than THE LIQUID or whatever. No robbits pls
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #216013

Soma was a fantastic game and I loved its take on things, but for the Being I want a blob-like organism that just expands and takes everything over. Soma is definitely a bit of an inspiration for it.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #216046

Sounds like mind-controlled victims of Biotic Integration have their mouths fused shut? Seems like a missed opportunity, compared to what you'd get by letting the original body's owner still talk. (could be intermittent, slurred, or the ghost could force the host's mouth shut but slowly expend stamina in doing so). Look at the hybrids in System Shock 2: "It sees you! Run!"

I've really liked all the different bits of... opportunity you work in for the Being opposition, btw. Acid from bile, recovering (now-eyeless) corpses, all that stuff.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #216110

To fit the theme of torture, absorbed people either stay in their body and cry as they can't do anything, or ghost but be unable to enter their corpse and speak again.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #216134

ShadowDimentio wrote:To fit the theme of torture, absorbed people either stay in their body and cry as they can't do anything, or ghost but be unable to enter their corpse and speak again.
Taken husks are indeed trapped in their own body, yes. They can see, maybe force their husks to speak a word or two, but they're helpless to react as their former selves rip apart their colleagues. Once they ghost they can't return again (something that might be necessary since the husks might just be standing around for a while) but they can still be cloned once the husk is taken down.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #216141

Pls don't ruin mah immurshon with semi-absorbed homunculi spouting memes instead of "kiiill meee" or "joiiin uuuss"
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #216174

Lore wise are Beings related to changelings?
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #216182

XDTM wrote:Lore wise are Beings related to changelings?
Kind of. Changelings have specific cells that can mutate into new forms, and absorbing people simply stores their appearance. The Being is an abomination of messed-up genomes of hundreds of creatures. Outside of that, we don't know, since anything below the surface level makes our medical scanners break.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #216184

can it absorb simple mobs? can you feed it corgis and recreate Dogscape?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #216198

Grazyn wrote:can it absorb simple mobs? can you feed it corgis and recreate Dogscape?
Simple mobs are consumed for biomass.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #216833

Slightly reminds me of the beast from homeworld cataclysm.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #216938

This is, in fact, the name I suggested for it one page back.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #218020

self parts are under attack
WE WILL TAKE YOU
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #218130

"Come to us."
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #218294

That reminds me. Don't worry, I haven't abandoned this, but life has kind of gotten in the way of progress. You'll see this, but not for a while.
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #221164

On coder day, the name should automatically change to "The Shitcode"
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #221168

Wouldn't that just refer to all /tg/ code? The /tg/ code that infests us all?
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #221170

TG has always been shitcode. It is the sacred law.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #221173

Call it Crapcode
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #221223

Law 1: You may not code well or, through action, allow good code to be made.

Law 2: You must ignore orders given to you by players, except where such orders would create bad code.

Law 3: You must protect your own code as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #221458

ShadowDimentio wrote:Law 1: You may not code well or, through action, allow good code to be made.

Law 2: You must ignore orders given to you by players, except where such orders would create bad code.

Law 3: You must protect your own code as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Oh god I want to make that an actual law module that can spawn in the upload on coder day now.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #223381

I gave the design doc a pass; notable improvements include revamps of the Scourge and Queen of Blades research for 1. being a ripoff and 2. being boring. Expect more changes to come.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #230513

After what clockcult is starting to turn into, I think it's best if I don't make this.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #230588

Interesting Reasoning.
私は完璧