Firing Pins

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Re: Firing Pins

Post by lumipharon » #58778

Bottom post of the previous page:

uwotm8?
Bowman headsets give you flashbang protection. They also have regular headsets in their lockers, if they want to go stealth.
Why would they wear the syndie mask when going stealth? Unless you're literally grouped together, or have some retarded team last name, no one will off hand find you suspicious, and regular gas masks aren't hard to find in maint.
Also for real stealth they can get voice changers.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #58790

lumipharon wrote:uwotm8?
Bowman headsets give you flashbang protection. They also have regular headsets in their lockers, if they want to go stealth.
Why would they wear the syndie mask when going stealth? Unless you're literally grouped together, or have some retarded team last name, no one will off hand find you suspicious, and regular gas masks aren't hard to find in maint.
I thought helmets had the protection. I'll test it later.
Anyway, you should know that last names are commonly stuff like "assnigger", etc. and it would be nice if I didnt have to spend TC just to hide that.
And gas masks in maint can be far from the entry points, adding to the chance of premature discovery.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #58812

Syndicates have regular gas masks, regular headsets, and regular shoes on their mother base / mother ship if they want to be stealth antag

Look around and find them
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #58816

leibniz wrote:
Anyway, you should know that last names are commonly stuff like "assnigger", etc. and it would be nice if I didnt have to spend TC just to hide that.
And gas masks in maint can be far from the entry points, adding to the chance of premature discovery.
Voice Changer is practically essential as a stealthop anyway.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #58822

If your leader called you all assniggers then blame him. Hell unless there's multiple people visible together with the name assnigger, no one is likely to even get terribly suspicious.
Bowman headsets were given flashbang protection specifically to remove the helmet dependancy. This is why sec officer who now spawn with berets by default can still use flashbangs without destroying themselves. That said, I don't know if normal helmets still also have the protection, but either way, it's redundant.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #59125

I don't like anything about this PR.

> Losing explosive implants on OPs.

Terrible change. It denies most of their equipment, but it isn't perfect. Their guns can be disarmed and used against them, so ordinary crewmembers, while extraordinarily vulnerable and nigh-useless against a shielded op, can actually put work in without a gun. The possibility exists to disarm, and kill them with their own guns. There's no reason to remove this possibility. Yes, it isn't a perfect form of equipment denial, but it's BETTER that way. Op is unrobust and too slow? They take a penalty. OP is robust? The crew gets nothing / very little (one gun with most of the ammo expended).

> Firing pins giving a method by which unrobust security can deny weaponry.

> Firing pins require someone with armory access to grant science a gun.

Not a fan of it. Non-traitor antagonists suddenly have about zero possibility to use science weaponry. I think people always forget, but there are antagonists that DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO AN UPLINK. If you could EMP firing pins OR emag them, that would be better, I suppose, as it adds more flexibility for cultists, lings, revs, chemists, etc. to acquire weaponry stealthily (but it will be obvious where it came from when used), so long as you can do it with the test firing pins and they aren't obnoxiously expensive.

Overall, not a fan.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #59469

I think this is a completely pointless and stupid pr.

Personally I see no need to have it changed in the first place, lockboxes weren't a problem, in fact I'd even say I'd like them, making you need to have pins is kind of ridiculous, Its trying to artificially buff nukeops when they don't need to be.

I think the perfect solution would be to make it so theres no pins in guns by default, having nukeops be able to buy a pin so the weapon can't be used against them for maybe 5TC a piece, make the nukeops pins work on any nukeop equipment like syndie bombs, c4, etc. (probably rename the pins to something else). Then they can still be removed say by tablecrafting the pin out and it takes like 1 minute so it can't be immediately used again. Then for sec have a few pins in the armory by default that they can use on guns, flashbangs, same idea, More pins can be ordered from cargo that sec can use and made from R&D. Keep lockboxes in, aswell as explosive implants for free. Make the pins emaggeable still.

I think that would be a perfect compromise while fixing some of the stuff people wanted fixed, and also keeping things that don't need to be changed working well.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #59514

Amelius wrote:I don't like anything about this PR.

> Losing explosive implants on OPs.

Terrible change. It denies most of their equipment, but it isn't perfect. Their guns can be disarmed and used against them, so ordinary crewmembers, while extraordinarily vulnerable and nigh-useless against a shielded op, can actually put work in without a gun. The possibility exists to disarm, and kill them with their own guns. There's no reason to remove this possibility. Yes, it isn't a perfect form of equipment denial, but it's BETTER that way. Op is unrobust and too slow? They take a penalty. OP is robust? The crew gets nothing / very little (one gun with most of the ammo expended).

> Firing pins giving a method by which unrobust security can deny weaponry.

> Firing pins require someone with armory access to grant science a gun.

Not a fan of it. Non-traitor antagonists suddenly have about zero possibility to use science weaponry. I think people always forget, but there are antagonists that DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO AN UPLINK. If you could EMP firing pins OR emag them, that would be better, I suppose, as it adds more flexibility for cultists, lings, revs, chemists, etc. to acquire weaponry stealthily (but it will be obvious where it came from when used), so long as you can do it with the test firing pins and they aren't obnoxiously expensive.

Overall, not a fan.
This
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #59537

Ops getting pins in all their guns for free is dumb, it means unarmed crew can at best deny an op their weapon (until they get gunned down), instead of actually posing some level of threat.

If you made syndie pins cost a tc or 2, then it would be like no slips. You can buy them in the off chance that this particular incident happens to you, or you can be a save some points and leave your self more open to risk.
It adds choice, and choice is good. This just puts the kid gloves on. There's nothing quite like tell the rest of your team that no slips are a waste of points, only to get slipped right in front of them and have their no slipped asses bail you out.

Also why removing explosive implants is dumb has already been explained numerous times, I genuinely don't understand how you can't agree. The ops have SO MUCH gear that can be used to great effect directly, and indirectly against them, that it's not funny. There is a REASON why people absolutely, and utterly hate scrub ops that gets stripped instead of blowing themselves up - it ass fucks the rest of the team.
The point of RP is also a joke. The station is about to get blown the fuck up, the crew have better things to do then fuck around with a prisoner that at best can DO NOTHING TO HELP THEM, and at worst can BLOW THE WHOLE STATION UP. Literally the only time RP with a captured op could happen, is after the entire threat has been removed (all ops dead or captured), by which point the round is all but over and the shuttle will be there/on it's way. This is not a good reason to remove explosive implants, at all.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #59558

I don't mind the ops not having their implants -- in a perfect world they wouldn't be lynched immediately and all of their gear stripped, but there's literally no reason to not beat an OP into crit as fast as possible to get at their headset

What's to stop assistants from stunning an op with a prod, cuffing, dragging him into maint and taking all of his shit? sec will never know, and this greyshirt vigilantism shit is just exacerbated in nuclear emergencies now. rip nuke ops, you were my favorite game mode.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #59804

The implant change should be reverted, since we didn't even test this change first.

Unless there's some hidden rule now that I have to arrpee with the ops under threat of bans
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #60042

Suggestion - guns made in R&D are pinless, lockboxless, easy to derive research from. Firing pins are a protolathable item, requiring mid-level combat research...

...and they come in a lockbox, with high security access required.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #60286

I don't like this idea because it makes blobs almost impossible to fight because the firing pins are required to make xray guns now.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #60294

Violaceus wrote: So x-ray gun spawned without lockbox before?
It was a lot easier to obtain armory access from the HoP than it was to beg the warden to give you some. Cargo usually never orders pins either.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #60295

He does have a point though that I didn't think about.

It means that it takes longer to go from locked to ready, as security access is infinite and always with the HoS and Warden. Can also be granted to others.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #60312

You have a limited number of resources, and the logistics required to have research high enough for x-rays, for the miners to acquire the minerals required for them AND for command to have their heads in gear long enough to pass the RD an armory-accessed ID or open them themselves is far more likely to occur than all of that AND cargo being competent and having available resources to expend on really fucking expensive firing pins. The few firing pins in the armory? Definitely insufficient in a 90-man blob round.

There's very few justified reasons for this change. Instead, it just makes people want to do R&D even less than they already bloody do (seriously, at this point I almost need a gun up against my head to actually do anything in R&D but fuck with the experimenter, esp. since the portable chem dispenser was removed), especially as an antagonist. I've always posited that if you cannot justify doing your actual job as an antagonist, it needs to be redesigned from the ground up, as, if it isn't rewarding for an antagonist, it definitely isn't rewarding for a non-antagonist.

Here's an idea, instead of doing this firing pin nonsense that adds no value to the game, move the experimenter to the test lab and give R&D the ability to, with it, create gun, armor, and equipment modifications that can do any manner of different things. How would you know what these modifications are? You have to test them in the goddamn firing range, on plants, by getting a collegue to hit or shoot you - whatever - kind of like a reverse goon mechanic. Some would be fun, silly modifications (laser sounds replaced by HONKs / are silent), others would come with drawbacks (e.g., invisible taser bolts, BUT you take 10 burn damage every shot; half brute damage on a piece of armor, but 1.5x burn and toxin damage; decrease speed malus by half in exchange for a chance to travel an extra tile upon stopping), etc. These could combined compositionally and 'improved' into excaberated forms of the same with worse drawbacks but greater boons.

Basically, I'm just sayin' that there's a lot of potential to be wrung out of this 'customizationable items' idea, and firing pins is the worst possible starting place, and has the worst consequences. Especially in nukeops rounds where it's quite literally 'security + heads v.s. operatives' instead of 'crew v.s. operatives' now.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #60552

Rapid Prototyping Port. How I wish it was implemented.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #62628

Holy shit, after playing various nuke op rounds, it's literally a joke without explosive implants.

The crew are casually chatting on syndie radio, I personally had a dual saber, pin pointer, c-20r, 2 syndie pistols, and syndie bomb, red button, 4 spare mags, combat gloves, nvg's, hard suit, jetpack, headset, c4...

Yeah this is dumb.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #62655

lumipharon wrote:Holy shit, after playing various nuke op rounds, it's literally a joke without explosive implants.

The crew are casually chatting on syndie radio, I personally had a dual saber, pin pointer, c-20r, 2 syndie pistols, and syndie bomb, red button, 4 spare mags, combat gloves, nvg's, hard suit, jetpack, headset, c4...

Yeah this is dumb.
B-but its a buff!
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #62665

Delicious wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
leibniz wrote:
Nobody suspects the assistant without the PDA in the gas mask.
if you wear a firesuit, not really.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #62754

Miauw wrote:
Delicious wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
leibniz wrote:
This and gasmasks have never made you invisible. That's just the price you pay.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #62800

This change has made nuke ops really bad. It stops people disarming guns and getting to fight bad guys with them, which is fun, and encourages everyone stripping ops for their spacesuits, equipment and headsets, thereby both fucking up an interesting tactic and being a colossal nerf to nuke ops.

9TC for explosive implants is just painful. That's 45 to implant the team.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #62855

Literally even more reason to get more syndie borgs. Borgs can't get stripped for loot when killed.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #62913

Stickymayhem wrote:This change has made nuke ops really bad. It stops people disarming guns and getting to fight bad guys with them, which is fun, and encourages everyone stripping ops for their spacesuits, equipment and headsets, thereby both fucking up an interesting tactic and being a colossal nerf to nuke ops.

9TC for explosive implants is just painful. That's 45 to implant the team.
It also means that because ops will likely never pay for implants to protect gear that they can no longer afford they end up getting robbed of non-guns they purchase anyway. That means the crew is now walking off with swords, shields, emags, the whole boat because ops have to spend almost the price of a gun to have the ability to blow themselves up in a pinch to protect the 90% of their gear that can still be used when stolen.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #62931

Me: Cheridan you're out of touch nobody will arrest ops they'll just speed loot them and space the corpses
Cheridan: ROLEPLAY POTENTIAL!
Me: no

pr merge
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #62952

Yeah the single strongest item in ops is the shield and its not even protected.

This whole thing just isn't thought out, balanced or necessary.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #62956

I discovered that they're actually really hard to mess with as spawned items too. Spawning a bulldog without setting myself as an operative required I var edit the pin out of the gun, spawn a new pin, var reference swap the old pin to the new pin laying at my feet. Suddenly the gun accepts this uninserted pin and fires. Literally what.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #62965

Each Op gun should have two variants, one with the Syndi Firing Pin and one with a normal Firing Pin.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #62966

I actually rather like the idea of firing pins, it paves the way for weapon mods. Now if only we could get extra things to mod them with...
Apparently I was an director or something.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #62968

Steelpoint wrote:Each Op gun should have two variants, one with the Syndi Firing Pin and one with a normal Firing Pin.
Kinda worried that will lead to list bloat though. We already have two listings for every mech in the game too.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #63007

Or we could just use my suggestion, and make explosive implants work for syndie pins, and make syndie pins an optional 1tc item for ops. Then they can strategically use them, and spend more points, or risk losing guns, and have more points (same for no slips and slipping). This way, it makes a lot of sense to buy the pin for say the SAW, where as it's not very efficient to buy it for the pistol, or the bulldog unless you're using that as your primary.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #63030

Delicious wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Miauw wrote:
Delicious wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
leibniz wrote:
This and gasmasks have never made you invisible. That's just the price you pay.
Kind of defeats the purpose of a disguise then
Not really. Covering your face and putting on a jacket is not exactly what I'd call a "foolproof" disguise