Would removing changeling be any real loss?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Would removing changeling be any real loss?

Post by Cobby » #133482

Bottom post of the previous page:

I tried murderboning ling yesterday.

My arsenal consisted of Monkey, EMP, Armblade, Armor & Shield, & Fleshmend

What I did not know however is that with the new transform monkey mumbo-jumbo I cannot use the armor if I'm transforming into something in the jacket slot. Go figure.

So, my 'failsafe' combo was Monkey > Ventcrawl > EMP > Pop Out of Vent > Human > Armblade > Win.

Get Stunned? Monkey. Get Lasered? Fleshmend and try to ventcrawl.

My worst fear in the round was not people, but from dying of oxydep while ventcrawling.

Maybe you guys are playing ling as 'super secrit stealth deathmachine' when you should just play them as 'deathmachine'. I actually enjoyed my time running around in the vents watching as people scream ling over radio. I only died from a bomb I didn't expect.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #133483

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:My worst fear in the round was not people, but from dying of oxydep while ventcrawling.
Scrubbers/waste vents are dangerous to crawl around in because they're usually vacuumed by the atmos waste loop.
Vents should have enough air in them, but theres also the danger of that one idiot who just maxes all the valves because hurp durp more air in the system gotta fix a pipe? NOT TODAY
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #133498

I had an atmos tech purposefully maximize the vents so that my life sucked a little more crawling around in them once.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #133570

Exactly, so long as you're murderboning as a ling then it's fun :^)

Consider Lings like Wizards, except you can buddy up with other wizards and have a hivemind :) you'll have a much better experience.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #133645

Ling is better than Hand of God and that isn't being removed?

You know what the problem is, no sec and some antag getting the entire armory, remove antags 2015.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #133649

callanrockslol wrote:Ling is better than Hand of God and that isn't being removed?

You know what the problem is, no sec and some antag getting the entire armory, remove antags 2015.
This is only a problem when they start killing everyone with it. Remove murderboners 2015.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #133764

TheNightingale wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:Ling is better than Hand of God and that isn't being removed?

This is only a problem when they start killing everyone with it. Remove murderboners 2015.
Only a problem when people get assblasted. Remove assblasted players 2015.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #134099

Honestly I wish using stealth abilities were as, or better yet, more effective than the aggressive abilities. I remember suggesting giving lings the ability to extract their stings by using them on beakers so they can mix them up in chem and/or put them in a syringe gun to fuck people up at a distance, like that officer chasing you into space and you don't want to get in handcuffing range to cryo-sting him.
Takes prep time and if you miss you'll at least have to do the inventory juggle to load a second shot, assuming you did prepare a second shot.

Another thing I'd like is the ability to set if a sting is instant or delayed, and if so delayed by how long with varying costs. That way, if you're clever, you can frame someone else as a Ling or quietly kill someone if they're doing a spacewalk.

Also Strained Muscles needs re-work, it is flat out inferior to adrenal surge and due to the way stamina damage works it takes a while to clear out of the system, last time I used it anyway. Besides, why would you ever take it when adrenals does what Strained Muscles does but better? Maybe re-do at a subtle combat evolution; more damaging punches with a higher-likelihood of weakening punches and increased movement speed for a period of time while inflicting toxins and maybe a little bit of stamina damage as soon as it's out ofyour system. Overuse in a short time having increasingingly worse returns
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #134104

Bring back parasting and stealthling will come back full form

I want stealthling
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #134227

Ling definitely adds a layer of paranoia that didn't exist before the last buff and isnt really present in other gamemodes.

Two of the last times I played sec someone infiltrated security as a ling. When you've got someone who can change their appearance in a split second and the occasional officer crawling out of a cloning vat I find myself getting really on-edge and paranoid when I can't distinguish between real cloned officers and the ling one.

One of my bigger frustrations with ling more than anything right now is how rage-inducing halluc. sting is. For a cheap silent sting I should not be constantly stunned to the point it takes me over 2 minutes just to leave my office. The confusion is already a great effect, but either remove the stunning/KO's or reduce its duration so that a single cheap sting that takes mere seconds to save the chems for can put anyone out of commission for over 5 minutes.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #134343

Hallucination sting is honestly a neat side tech for overt lings, given that if you stab a few people before you start combat with them they have fuck all chance of actually being able to beat you in that combat. Like at the moment it's just used for "sting everyone memes leleleele" but the sheer length of time it disables people for means it's a good offensive tool.