Make the R&D console able to research again

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

should the r&d lab retain roundstart research access until the "overhaul" occurs

yes
86%
no
3%
abstain
6%
:)
6%

Total votes: 36

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Make the R&D console able to research again

Post by cacogen » #571411

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Guide_to_Research_and_Development wrote:Early 2020 the roundstart core research consoles have been moved to the RD's office and bridge where scientists don't have access.
braindead stupid how hasn't this been reverted already? can easily be worked around in less than 2 minutes by printing a board from the circuit imprinter but why should we have to waste the time each round? if there is going to be some sweeping change that makes this necessary the change should've been made alongside it

this was on delta btw i can't speak for the other maps but i'm assuming it's the same

here is the pr that did the holocaust
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/49899
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Re: Make the R&D console able to research again

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #571447

even if it gets """fixed""" people will just roundstart hack in rd office and swap board again, late join RDs will just not care as they would have done the same, sec wont care because its their job to research, people that will use it an excuse to try arrest or demote sci for going there will just get lynched for being retarded assholes, we still didnt even swap to research as an active method and pretty much established that rnd = waiting time gates and it isnt even that better than tunnel carpal rnd method as a timegate (it had possible interaction with other departments)
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #571498

tg's classic staggered implementation where the justification for a punishing change never comes.

Edit: actually I don’t see any reason why this change couldn’t come alone, so ignore that. More of a question of “did this work” and “are things better” which I can’t really answer.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #571510

no
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #571512

contextless and context-added this change doesnt really make much sense for the design of science.

- RDs often expect scientists to replace the console
- RDs who try to exercise control over the flow of research literally always get their teeth kicked in for being a powertripping control freak
- even if more preventative measures were put in code-wise (RD access required to research / circuit imprinter cant make core console boards), would it help the game? assuming there is no RD, or they have shirked their duty as a desk-jockey research slave (which was explicitly commented to be non desirable gameplay), then everyone suffers. is this really what the goal is?
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #571516

literally all this change did was make getting mining tech the ai's job

this is why we shouldnt push unfinished half-reworks
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #571524

oranges wrote:no
you don't play. get out of the way
wesoda25 wrote:tg's classic staggered implementation where the justification for a punishing change never comes.

Edit: actually I don’t see any reason why this change couldn’t come alone, so ignore that. More of a question of “did this work” and “are things better” which I can’t really answer.
work for what? the purpose was supposedly for an upcoming overhaul that unless i missed it has yet to see the light of day
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:even if it gets """fixed""" people will just roundstart hack in rd office and swap board again, late join RDs will just not care as they would have done the same, sec wont care because its their job to research, people that will use it an excuse to try arrest or demote sci for going there will just get lynched for being retarded assholes, we still didnt even swap to research as an active method and pretty much established that rnd = waiting time gates and it isnt even that better than tunnel carpal rnd method as a timegate (it had possible interaction with other departments)
I trust your opinion on most things because you play a lot and seem to know everything but I don't really understand this. Why would anyone change the console in R&D back to production only? And it's not really a fix it's reverting a preemptive change until it becomes necessary because it's presently unjustified and inconveniences scientists whose job it is to research.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #571545

by fix i meant making them not printable with a pr
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #571561

Vekter “it will be done soon tm” Cringe.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #571582

work for what? the purpose was supposedly for an upcoming overhaul that unless i missed it has yet to see the light of day
I was under the impression that the point was to shift the task of rnd from science to heads of staff. I don’t really see why it depends on any later change. Which is why I said it should more be a question of “was this change good”, and while I can’t talk since I haven’t played, the answer seems to be no.