Fire

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Fire

Post by Amelius » #112140

Another silent nerf pushed through the pipeline without anyone aware of it.

Try the old welding fuel in a bottle + welder combo. It automatically goes out after 10~ seconds, less, and deals only around 30~ burn over that period. Meaning, fire is no longer a viable weapon, especially because there's no longer any need to roll around on the ground at any point making yourself vulnerable. Before, fire was a two-pronged weapon - you might be conflagarated or they could easily arrest and/or kill you before having to roll, in exchange for a guaranteed roll at some point and temporary area denial (in the case of flamethrowers). That, or for a guaranteed, albeit risky and loud (bright beacon of light, can conflagarate self, etc.) kill after cuffing someone.

What do general-access assistants even have left? Coderbus has effectively removed the viability of tabling, an assistant staple, in any and every sense, nerfed water by adding a fairly severe delay on top of the loud noise, destroyed fire, given sec maint access so there's no longer a viable escape for antags, especially assistant/engineer ones, and so forth.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Re: Fire

Post by Cik » #112141

yeah it's dumb, i've been playing mediborg recently and you don't even need to put people out anymore, i just hit them with kelotane once or twice and they'll heal through the fire a little bit after it goes out

they toned fire up to much after the 'fire spreads on touch' update, but then they toned it down way too much. a full body burn should be lethal as hell, now it's a minor inconvenience to be on fire, which is lame.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #112148

The reason they're burning out is because you're not applying large amounts of fire stacks to them before setting them on fire. Fire is no longer a perpetual state, but one that slowly ticks away at your fire stacks until you eventually burn out of them. That said, the burn rate might be a little too much, and I'm looking at buffing fire. Currently, too many stacks are lost when bumping another mob, to the point where it's basically a beneficial to catch other people on fire... which is pretty dumb.

Also >Nerfing Water
You're high as fuck bro, water is still bullshit overpowered, I abuse it all the time. And sec having maint isn't a coderbus issue, its a server side setting, stop blaming us for all your problems, jackass.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #112159

Ergovisavi wrote:Fire is no longer a perpetual state, but one that slowly ticks away at your fire stacks until you eventually burn out of them.
See, that's exactly what I said, and it's shit. It used to be that fire stacks BUILT over time, so there was risk-reward for rolling immediately, or waiting until later, or even just beelining for a nearby extinguisher. Look at this list of hard counters:

1. Waiting for the firestacks to run out.
2. Rolling.
3. One of the trillion extinguishers located in EVERY SECTION OF EVERY DEPARTMENT AND HALLWAY.
4. Space / lack of oxygen.
5. Atmos hardsuit / CE hardsuit, engineering hardsuits give decent resistances.

Not to mention you have nothing holding you down, and fire takes decades to kill you, so the person setting you on fire can easily be arrested and killed over this period, or even set on fire with the firespread changes. Also, this, in conjunct with the phlogiston changes may as well make that aspect of chemistry fucking useless, because at most it's just going to ignite someone and deal barely any damage.

So basically, it was nerfed to the ground, and you can't even use the 'muh realism' argument because if someone is on fire IRL, they don't magically extinguish themselves without rolling, smothering the fire, a lack of oxygen, or when the fuel is ash.

What was wrong with the old system? What was fixed? What was IMPROVED? Jesus christ.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #112162

You can stun someone and harmbaton them to death in a raging plasma fire before the fire even crits you.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #112164

Doesn't really make sense either. Fire continues to grow and multiply/spread as long as it has fuel, it doesn't just die down for no reason.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #112167

Amelius wrote:See, that's exactly what I said, and it's shit. It used to be that fire stacks BUILT over time
That was never the case. You simply never gained or lost them at any point short of direct intervention.

Either way calm yer tits, I'm going to buff it.