on the topic of nerfing patches for bodies...

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

on the topic of nerfing patches for bodies...

Post by Deitus » #116050

i understand why it happened with genetics and all, but for rounds like blob rounds genetics is waaaaay too slow, and rd is usually busy scrambling for x rays to be bothered to upgrade shit. i would propose buffs to genetics to mitigate this, either through more machines or faster cloning process. what do you guys think?

edit: maybe make some sort of "minigame" out of cloning where the geneticist can make it go faster if the geneticist "completes" the requirements of the "game." it'd probably be a pain in the ass to code and implement but im just thinking aloud here.
cyfause
Byond Username: Cyfause

Re: on the topic of nerfing patches for bodies...

Post by cyfause » #116051

A little minigame for cloning would be cool. What if it was the clone-ee that was doing the minigame? I know it's extremely boring to wait to be cloned. Not so much for someone who can walk around and still do things.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #116052

Defibs still work as long as your body isn't utterly fucked.
And if it is, put the brain in a freshly humanised monkey and defib that.
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #116054

You can speedclone someone back to full fighting form in what, 2 minutes and 30 seconds, give or take ten or so?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #116056

Ergovisavi wrote:You can speedclone someone back to full fighting form in what, 2 minutes and 30 seconds, give or take ten or so?
Er, I'm pretty sure it's much much longer than that
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
cyfause
Byond Username: Cyfause

Post by cyfause » #116058

lumipharon wrote:Defibs still work as long as your body isn't utterly fucked.
And if it is, put the brain in a freshly humanised monkey and defib that.
Hm, is it seriously faster to do that than to clone someone?
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #116059

Vastly.

Genetics should have a clean SE buffer anyway, surgery on both bodies takes 45~ seconds at most, and then you just defib and cryo.

And there's two cryo tanks.

If you want it to go even faster, just slap patches on the fresh defib
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #116069

is there any way i can do it so they're rebrained in their original bodies? like maybe make a clean se out of the dead body and use it on a monkey?

edit: cant take SE's from deads. we should change that so they can be revived faster if the doctor is willing to put in the effort. the way things are it just takes too long without research and its way too easy to get flooded quickly, especially on things like blob round.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #116082

You want the UE/UI, not the SE, if you're changing appearance.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #116085

Deitus wrote:i understand why it happened with genetics and all, but for rounds like blob rounds genetics is waaaaay too slow, and rd is usually busy scrambling for x rays to be bothered to upgrade shit. i would propose buffs to genetics to mitigate this, either through more machines or faster cloning process. what do you guys think?

edit: maybe make some sort of "minigame" out of cloning where the geneticist can make it go faster if the geneticist "completes" the requirements of the "game." it'd probably be a pain in the ass to code and implement but im just thinking aloud here.
you spoiled kids and your defibs
back in my day all we had was the cloner, and we liked it
no but seriously genetics doesnt really need a buff, if anything defibs need nerfs because they've thrown off the whole concept of "death has consequences" and "genetics is an important department" out the window. i haven't seen genetics get bombed and the crew caring at all in ages, but one time the defibs got stolen and the entire medbay staff stood around like a bunch of drooling retards not knowing what to do with all the corpses (you darn kids need to learn how to speedclone! back in my day we tore through a queue of 12 dead people in five minutes using both the cryo tubes and with the chemist making more clonexadone than he made piss, and by jove we liked it!)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #116095

Takeguru wrote:You want the UE/UI, not the SE, if you're changing appearance.
you're gonna have to speak in noob talk here :C
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Deitus wrote:i understand why it happened with genetics and all, but for rounds like blob rounds genetics is waaaaay too slow, and rd is usually busy scrambling for x rays to be bothered to upgrade shit. i would propose buffs to genetics to mitigate this, either through more machines or faster cloning process. what do you guys think?

you spoiled kids and your defibs
back in my day all we had was the cloner, and we liked it
no but seriously genetics doesnt really need a buff, if anything defibs need nerfs because they've thrown off the whole concept of "death has consequences" and "genetics is an important department" out the window. i haven't seen genetics get bombed and the crew caring at all in ages, but one time the defibs got stolen and the entire medbay staff stood around like a bunch of drooling retards not knowing what to do with all the corpses (you darn kids need to learn how to speedclone! back in my day we tore through a queue of 12 dead people in five minutes using both the cryo tubes and with the chemist making more clonexadone than he made piss, and by jove we liked it!)
i can understand where this is coming from, its the same way with the nerf in the first place; i guess i didnt really think about how invalidated genetics was with the ability to apply patches like that. but (and i know i keep using it as an example, but i think it bears repeating) for rounds like blob where the blob arguably has a good advantage (perhaps most glaringly the fact that most of the crew has to resort to welders to fight and the blobs excel at close quarters), cloning just doesnt work fast enough to fight the tide of bodies. it just seems like for rounds where the crew needs a full fighting force to be able to fight effectively that the antags can easily cripple the crew in the "early game."

but again, just thinking aloud. i am literally the most unrobust person on the station so i have a bit of a skewed viewpoint.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #116097

You can't get the genetic data from dead bodies so they'd be stuck as a monkeyperson with all the ugliness that entails
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #116105

The way around that would be to pod person them, get the ui/ue from the fresh potato man, then the brain back into a human body, then defib and give them the ui/ue.

Or just deal with being some 3rd class random name.
Takeguru

Post by Takeguru » #116106

Deitus wrote:
you're gonna have to speak in noob talk here :C
In the research section of genetics, there's the computer
Instead of clicking the SE button to make an injector, you click the UI button

It'll only change appearance and name
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #116119

Shaps wrote:
You can't get the genetic data from dead bodies so they'd be stuck as a monkeyperson with all the ugliness that entails
not being able to download the genetics of a corpse to a buffer is actually a bug which is taking 10,000 years to fix unfortunately
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #116120

Shaps wrote:
Ergovisavi wrote:You can speedclone someone back to full fighting form in what, 2 minutes and 30 seconds, give or take ten or so?
Er, I'm pretty sure it's much much longer than that
Wrong. It's actually much shorter!

I timed it. From dead to full health with speed cloning, removing all genetic damage, it takes 1:53 (1 minute, 53 seconds). That is pretty fucking fast. We don't need to go any faster.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #116123

Allow clone ejection via genetics ID at 40% instead of the current 60% (saves ~1 minute). Parallel cloning aka speed cloning helps a lot when the bodies pile up and there isn't always somebody around to unlock the APC for a robust geneticist.
Now we only have to breed a new generation of good geneticists (they all kinda died out with the rise of defibs) - and need to teach MDs to not occupy all cryo tubes for minor injuries.

How much time does unupgraded cloning + subsequent cryo finisher take anyway? 4 minutes? 5?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #116126

Actionb wrote:Allow clone ejection via genetics ID at 40% instead of the current 60% (saves ~1 minute). Parallel cloning aka speed cloning helps a lot when the bodies pile up and there isn't always somebody around to unlock the APC for a robust geneticist.
Now we only have to breed a new generation of good geneticists (they all kinda died out with the rise of defibs) - and need to teach MDs to not occupy all cryo tubes for minor injuries.

How much time does unupgraded cloning + subsequent cryo finisher take anyway? 4 minutes? 5?
If you have enough bodies that the 40% ejection is required, you have enough that you should be telling the AI/Engineer/Captain/Assistants to unlock your APC for a 1% ejection
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #116145

so the shortcut as it is now is turn off the power at 60 percent and just cyro the body from there?
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #116147

Deitus wrote:so the shortcut as it is now is turn off the power at 60 percent and just cyro the body from there?
No.

1. Throw body in cloning scanner and scan them
2. Hit clone
3. IMMEDIATELY shut off the power. This will leave them at about -85 Health.
4. Drag them to cryo and throw them in. You did prep it beforehand and add mannitol and mutadone, right? If they die before you get there, just defib them.
5. Wait until they pop out.

Dead to full health with no defects in ~1:50.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #116169

About the mutadone... I haven't seen genetically defective clones in ages. Is this even still a thing?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #116189

Yes. But science usually upgrades the cloners unless they're fucking useless scum.
Also non peasant chemists just put mutadone and shit into cryo anyway.