Science needs a major rework and cutbacks/nerfs

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Science needs a major rework and cutbacks/nerfs

Post by Supermichael777 » #121120

Science in its current form is ridiculously powerful.
its to the point that a rev or gang that starts with science access is basically guaranteed victory.
the list of things science can do for your team antag:
Totally lock down and subvert/destroy silicons.
provide you with infinite disposable foot soldiers via slimes ether sentience potion slimes or adamantine golems.
all the top tier gear.
an impregnable fort made completely of r walls.
as many death chems as you could want.
6 max-cap bombs.
canisters of super-heated gas.
tools for days.
mechs
flashes
stun-prods

they are still dependent on cargo to get some of their gear, however they can produce a great deal of this without ever leaving their little fort

Proposals:
cut out or severely nerf their gear. not the production of the gear but the actual gear itself. give some of it downsides that make just slaping it on the moment you can not a good idea.
remove stun-prods entirely, their meme tier garbage weapons that make all other crew v crew combat pointless.
remove the ability to use the clamp and drill in a lethal manner or lock it behind e mag.
cut out some of the internal rwalls and remove the lockdown shuters/double airlock. spots include betwen mech bay and robotics, the firing range and toxins, xenobio low security pens on non-mant/space facings.
-remove slime-sentience potion or make sentient simple animals mandatory pacifists.
-remove upgrade system for slime extractor.
-nerf the ridiculous mineral chain upgrades
-make ttvs the same as gibonite in terms of requiring two hands to haul around. considering they are made of to full scuba sized tanks this isn't much of a stretch.
-make combat mech weapons require firing pins

I don't expect or demand that these changes be made, these are merely points of major power-creep and a few suggestions on how it might be toned back. The changes I actually want have a - next to them
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Science needs a major rework and cutbacks/nerfs

Post by InsaneHyena » #121124

> Suck out any fun from playing science and nerf it to the point of being unplayable.

Yeah, good idea, let's do that.
Bring back papercult.

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #121133

I play science.
A lot.

It's way too powerful, it can do every department's job better then they can - unless someone managed to remove this retarded feature, they can still upgrade the entire station THROUGH CAMERAS.

Tier 4 upgrades made certain shit more powerful then they were intended to be, and making almost every machine upgradable has broken balance is a shitload of different areas of the game - these are machines that were not designed to be upgradable, it should come as no surprise that getting quadruple results is dumb.

Honestly I wouldn't mind so much brokenly strong shit, if R&D was gated in a much more intelligent way, for example:

Getting tech levels to 5 are achievable through the current, easy means (deconning shit readily obtainable on station/R&D itself, like plasma sheets, chem dispenser boards etc).

Getting to levels 6 & 7 would require shit not obtainable inside R&D, but still reliably obtainable shit (ie: combat shotguns from cargo, bluespace crystals from mining, bluespace slime core etc etc).

Level 8 & 9 would require shit that is rare and not reliably obtainable, such as anomaly cores (not guaranteed to get the event every round unless it's long as fuck), high end traitor shit, xeno brains, ninja suit etc etc.

Level 10 would be Special snowflake and/or badmin shit (mech teleporter, energy axe etc).

Also remove the blood drain function from the experimentor, since it can and does fuck R&D balance.

With these changes, you could gate shit behind clearly defined levels of entry, based on how powerful X item is.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #121134

lumipharon wrote:I play science.
A lot.

It's way too powerful, it can do every department's job better then they can - unless someone managed to remove this retarded feature, they can still upgrade the entire station THROUGH CAMERAS.

Tier 4 upgrades made certain shit more powerful then they were intended to be, and making almost every machine upgradable has broken balance is a shitload of different areas of the game - these are machines that were not designed to be upgradable, it should come as no surprise that getting quadruple results is dumb.

Honestly I wouldn't mind so much brokenly strong shit, if R&D was gated in a much more intelligent way, for example:

Getting tech levels to 5 are achievable through the current, easy means (deconning shit readily obtainable on station/R&D itself, like plasma sheets, chem dispenser boards etc).

Getting to levels 6 & 7 would require shit not obtainable inside R&D, but still reliably obtainable shit (ie: combat shotguns from cargo, bluespace crystals from mining, bluespace slime core etc etc).

Level 8 & 9 would require shit that is rare and not reliably obtainable, such as anomaly cores (not guaranteed to get the event every round unless it's long as fuck), high end traitor shit, xeno brains, ninja suit etc etc.

Level 10 would be Special snowflake and/or badmin shit (mech teleporter, energy axe etc).

Also remove the blood drain function from the experimentor, since it can and does fuck R&D balance.

With these changes, you could gate shit behind clearly defined levels of entry, based on how powerful X item is.
I don't know shit about tech levels, but that sounds sane to me. Tech levels feel so arbitrary right now.

It sounds like a massive amount of work to fix all of that though.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121150

lumipharon wrote:It's way too powerful, it can do every department's job better then they can - unless someone managed to remove this retarded feature, they can still upgrade the entire station THROUGH CAMERAS.
this got removed literally within a week or two after the BRPD got added, people really need to stop using it in arguments

but yeah science is basically a textbook definition of powercreep
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #121152

Yep
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #121163

Anyone with the roundstart job "Scientist" Should be auto-banned if they say the words "Recall" while they're in the science wing.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #121178

Only if anyone who calls the shuttle because they are bored or nothings happening also gets banned.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #121181

The addition of tier 4 upgrades done in June was basically the definition of powercreep. And to celebrate this new tier of upgrades science got an infinite material spamming crusher, meaning they have half the materials in infinite supply anyway.

But now we are at this point its probably better to buff the other departments than the nerf science. *cough cargo overhaul cough*
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #121184

CPTANT wrote:And to celebrate this new tier of upgrades science got an infinite material spamming crusher, meaning they have half the materials in infinite supply anyway.
....CPTANT, tell me, how long ago have you actually played?...
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #121188

firecage wrote:
CPTANT wrote:And to celebrate this new tier of upgrades science got an infinite material spamming crusher, meaning they have half the materials in infinite supply anyway.
....CPTANT, tell me, how long ago have you actually played?...
Yes I know this got fixed a month ago, was talking about the situation in the summer.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #121224

Hey, more chaos, more lethality has been a thing for a while. Give other departments progression systems and it can be balanced that way. Imagine if medbay or eng or cargo scaled like R&D. It'd be nice.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #121314

They do.

Do you now how they do?
By R&D upgrading or replacing their shit with the superior shit they can make.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #121319

JackHunt wrote:Hey, more chaos, more lethality has been a thing for a while. Give other departments progression systems and it can be balanced that way. Imagine if medbay or eng or cargo scaled like R&D. It'd be nice.
This is the best solution. I'd rather the other departments be buffed than have science neutered. Ideally, all the departments should be codependent, like an economy of sorts. Mining and cargo are responsible for gathering raw supplies. Science uses those to make equipment. They then upgrade machines, making the station run smoother. Medical benefits the most from this, and the fact that they keep you from dying and in the round is a damn good incentive for science to aid them wherever possible. Engineering's job is to keep the whole thing running smoothly. I can think of two things I would change/add:

1. Get rid of the crusher/recycler exploit. It breaks the supply chain and makes science absurdly overpowered. A fully upgraded crusher should refund the exact materials used to make the item, not give you extra or make new ones somehow.

2. Move manufacturing to another department. Science can still make machine parts and be responsible for providing upgrades, but manufacturing items should be the responsibility of another department. Add a new job to cargo that revolves around making items from science's research. Promote QM to a full head of staff. Everybody is happy.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #121354

Luke Cox wrote:
JackHunt wrote:Hey, more chaos, more lethality has been a thing for a while. Give other departments progression systems and it can be balanced that way. Imagine if medbay or eng or cargo scaled like R&D. It'd be nice.
This is the best solution. I'd rather the other departments be buffed than have science neutered. Ideally, all the departments should be codependent, like an economy of sorts. Mining and cargo are responsible for gathering raw supplies. Science uses those to make equipment. They then upgrade machines, making the station run smoother. Medical benefits the most from this, and the fact that they keep you from dying and in the round is a damn good incentive for science to aid them wherever possible. Engineering's job is to keep the whole thing running smoothly. I can think of two things I would change/add:

1. Get rid of the crusher/recycler exploit. It breaks the supply chain and makes science absurdly overpowered. A fully upgraded crusher should refund the exact materials used to make the item, not give you extra or make new ones somehow.

2. Move manufacturing to another department. Science can still make machine parts and be responsible for providing upgrades, but manufacturing items should be the responsibility of another department. Add a new job to cargo that revolves around making items from science's research. Promote QM to a full head of staff. Everybody is happy.

1. Jesus christ this hasn't been a thing for a month god damn. It only produces iron and glass anyway.
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #121362

I must be out of the loop on that then. It used to give you everything except plasma.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #121373

InsaneHyena wrote:> Suck out any fun from playing science and nerf it to the point of being unplayable.

Yeah, good idea, let's do that.
QFT. Holy shit this thread is horrible and you should feel bad. I'm not even taking this seriously because it's absolute insanity.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #121376

lumipharon wrote:They do.

Do you now how they do?
By R&D upgrading or replacing their shit with the superior shit they can make.
we should really rework upgrades then (mechanic job when?)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #121378

PKPenguin321 wrote:(mechanic job when?)
Mechanic I found was always a really neat idea. Basically, the job description is being a kleptomaniac, ESPECIALLY if you're an antagonist, and you could do stupid shit like mass-produce fake mustaches. Here, we'd probably just have the clown manufacture a million syndie balloons, or even a trillion emags, running around slipping people and putting emags in their pockets. Not that there's even the slightest bit wrong with that.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #121379

Amelius wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:(mechanic job when?)
Mechanic I found was always a really neat idea. Basically, the job description is being a kleptomaniac, ESPECIALLY if you're an antagonist, and you could do stupid shit like mass-produce fake mustaches. Here, we'd probably just have the clown manufacture a million syndie balloons, or even a trillion emags, running around slipping people and putting emags in their pockets. Not that there's even the slightest bit wrong with that.
Mechanic job in engineering that's responsible for upgrading machines (which now requires a new tool or something so they have to do it), manufacturing job in cargo that has a protolathe. Two new jobs and making cargo a full-fledged department would be amazing.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #121406

Mechanic job idea isn't bad we need a way to siphon research benefits out to the rest of the crew outside of overt antags like wiz/blob. With ore redemption points having near totally weened miners off of science shit the whole department is turned basically into a self congratulatory circle jerk over benefiting themselves with fat gear through grinding their jobs isolated from most external threats. Science is the top location for shifty shit enormous amounts of space behind rwalls, shutters and several rooms large enough to have camera focus changing leading to large surveillance dead zones with no indication to any observer the cams were even tampered with. About the only weakness is the department is so huge and obtuse to observe that the occupants rarely have every room watched.

Our processing jobs aren't exporting anything most rounds other than the standard allotment of cyborgs. In rounds slow and united enough for them to help others they just shit out silver bullets of absurd potency.