Everyone ded, plz nerf

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Everyone ded, plz nerf

Post by lumipharon » #125101

The chaos stand, or whatever it's called that sets you on fire and can teleport you and shit, is honestly really OP.

Every hit applies more and more fire stacks onto you, which means you're pretty much fucked - often even if you have an extinguisher, as it will take like 6 sprays to put the fire out. Combine this with the traitor having a stun weapon, and it's pretty damn nasty.

The teleport thing makes it hard to fight the stand or the master, and all the while you're on fire, so if you try and close range again you're toasting up nicely.
Also the teleport attack seems to work on the shuttle - being able to one hit space people is pretty awful.

In the round that just happened, the traitor only ied in the end because the warden got the jump on him, stunning him and filling him with lasers - the traitor didn't even get a chance to fight back, but the stand was able to hit the guy so many times he immediatelly went into crit and burned to death a few moments after the tator.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Re: Everyone ded, plz nerf

Post by onleavedontatme » #125102

Was worried this might happen.

Was really surprised when nobody ever used this type/never saw it do much.

I'll try making it only apply firestacks if the target currently has none.

If its still stupid after that I'll more heavily rework or remove it.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125105

Also more generally, being stun immune makes for great synergy with the master since you can just face tank incoming stuns.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #125110

There's really not a way to change that, simple animals are stun immune.

I wouldn't really want to either, taser being the solution to every problem is dull.

Stands die quite easily to guns. Guess that might be harder without the rifles though.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #125143

Eh fire stacks are a dot they should do a lot of damage since it isn't instant like say lethal guns notice how the warden killed him still yeah I expect that to happen a lot stands are doomed once their owner is in crit but can still fight it is sorta a MAD deal.

The teleport ability is dumb even if I don't really need a combat stand I could just space bodies with abandon. Any traitor with stuns is a bad time that's on stuns in this case due to item price stuns had to be stolen or just be prods.
Teleport is pretty broken fire probably not this is Lumipharon talking here.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #125159

Remember when fire just put you on fire and water just put you out? Why the fuck did we ever leave that
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125206

Incomptinence wrote:Eh fire stacks are a dot they should do a lot of damage since it isn't instant like say lethal guns notice how the warden killed him still yeah I expect that to happen a lot stands are doomed once their owner is in crit but can still fight it is sorta a MAD deal.

The teleport ability is dumb even if I don't really need a combat stand I could just space bodies with abandon. Any traitor with stuns is a bad time that's on stuns in this case due to item price stuns had to be stolen or just be prods.
Teleport is pretty broken fire probably not this is Lumipharon talking here.
Incompetence I watched an officer fight a traitor with one of these, get teleported well away, dropped and rolled THREE TIMES, then got extinguishered TWICE, before the fire went out.
But please, I'm sure I must be talking out of my ass.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #125247

Well 3 resists that is a loss of 15 fire stacks which is impressive. Extinguishers are inaccurate and remove 2 fire stacks per row you should be familiar with this since it is the basis of why slimes are much more durable outside of tight spaces so that is 4 fire stacks lost minimum with a bit of randomness so up to 12 but probably 4-8. I will go with 6ish and the amount removed is roughly 21 fire stacks so the guy was bumped three times gaining 7 fire stacks each time. Looking into it the problem is extinguishers are random dakka and piss weak usually unless you game them with tight spots.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125254

Extinguishers aren't that readily available - getting hit 3 times by an unstunnable mob that can appear without warning on top of their master is very easy, an makes it really hard to survive.
Keep in mind you cannot drop and roll while in combat (since that's just suicide), and running away is difficult when you cannot slow or stun the stand.

Kor's change seems perfectly reasonable though, since it stops the endless application of firestacks.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #125261

Nor can you apply meds mid combat without standing still and exposing yourself to savage retribution at present.

Stop whining about the unstunnability if it is blocking stun shots from attackers it is also blocking tasers whatever from the loser in a ranged exchange it is a dead weight until you basically have them at your mercy whereupon it becomes a sentient esword sidegrade that is basically neutered in space for more crystals, demented teleportation excepted. In a lethal exchange it turns damage into clone damage that is practically only healed in the middle of medbay with the bonus of maybe shooting yourself in the genes if it doesn't stay out of the fucking way. A traitor loaded with stolen sec shit is a murder machine regardless etc etc.
newfren
Byond Username: Newfren

Post by newfren » #125263

You can actually apply meds mid combat without standing still as long as you have a patch, pill or syringe. They all apply instantly to yourself.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #125269

Well my mistake then I thought there was a slight delay on patches. Still an odd thing to plan when they can cause you to drop the patch most of the time.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #125310

Wyzack wrote:Remember when fire just put you on fire and water just put you out? Why the fuck did we ever leave that
iirc it was because of the update that made fire transfer to other people when you bumped into them
but yeah, if fire was just a binary on/off thing again this wouldn't be nearly as bad
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125311

It's hilarious because the best way to put the fire out from this stand is to run into a couple of random people to cut down the fire stacks faster then extinguishing.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #125325

Hmm true the extinguisher is so stupidly weak that it isn't really worth waiting for them to maybe start piddling on you with it and sharing the burning oil is more efficient. I would say buff fire extinguishers I don't get why we are obsessed with making our firefighting gear not work but this is pretty similar to the firesuit piercing hotspots in stupidity.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #125357

Maybe I should look into fire in general. I ran out of a room of burning plasma recently and died after rolling three times because I had a million stacks on me.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125361

The old on-off fire was really the best. You were going to burn, or you were going to risk downtime putting it out. Race against time to take out whatever threat is nearby so you can safely roll.

Fire WAS a problem back during the whole blobbernaut fire punch thing when that first came out because of that shitty reagent it put inside you.

Also i'm still mildly salty I got chosen as a Chaos holoparasite for an atmos tech in the full hardsuit, who also wanted to plasma flood. I could have set EVERYBODY on fire forever. But no, fucker just afk'd in a pod after the flood.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #125363

Kor wrote:Maybe I should look into fire in general. I ran out of a room of burning plasma recently and died after rolling three times because I had a million stacks on me.
>ran through a room on fire with plasma
>excepts to just roll that shit off
>earlier kor was saying how it's way too easy to stay alive in this game
>Make up your god damn mind
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #125366

The game should be able to tell you the difference between a fire that you can resist out of and one you cannot.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125368

The upside of the fire change is that flamethrowers are potenially very robust - because you get loads of firestacks for every plasma fire tile you move through, if you flamethrower someone in the face they can run through enough tiles to get OUT of the fire, that they can't avoid burning to death anyway.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #125370

Just tweak the nature of the fire so that it goes out after a single resist.

I had a friendly traitor's chaos guardian light me on fire by accident and despite no further actions except resist-rolling I was on fire until I hit crit and slowly died.
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #125420

One accidental bump would put 7 fire stacks on you which 2 resists would cure. Was the idiot passing over you while you rolled? I think that sets it off too.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #125520

Incomptinence wrote:One accidental bump would put 7 fire stacks on you which 2 resists would cure. Was the idiot passing over you while you rolled? I think that sets it off too.
Maybe he hit me twice before he backed off? I dunno. Either way "stacking fire" is a really unintuitive and annoying mechanic, one resist should do the trick for all but a rare few cases. It's already a really nice tradeoff between forcing the victim to self-stun and become vulnerable to lots of damage or to stand and fight and risk burning to death, requiring more than one resist is just overkill.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #125521

Just bring back on/off fire, this stack shit is over complicated and silly
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125526

If the stacks thing is needed to prevent a single occurrence of rolling to put yourself out for very robust fires, then lets have a two-stage "is on fucking fire" system.

There's still the old on fire sprite, which should be general case of "someone threw a welder at you or bumped into you while on fire" and then the current full body fuckstorm of OH GOD IM ON FIRE for plasma-related fires which takes the two rolls.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #125527

0-10 stacks old fire overlay, 11-20 new overlay, each roll gets rid of 10 stacks?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #125529

Sounds good, and is visually intuitive.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #125651