New AI sat

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

New AI sat

Post by InsaneHyena » #145650

Maybe I didn't git gud enough yet, but this seems like absolute bullshit to me. The old AI sat was the right mix of defended and vulnerable. The new one is a gauntlet of turrets, three layers of reinforced walls protecting the SMES.
Bring back papercult.

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: New AI sat

Post by Saegrimr » #145651

What shitty station is that?

Break grille, destroy single r-wall and turn off shield generator. Unwrench it, push it out of the way and you can probably laser it from the broken R-wall
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #145652

It's box. I've edited the screenshot out, because I'm suddenly not sure if shield generator is roundstart or not.
Bring back papercult.

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #145653

Its not, that was fortified by a borg.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #145658

New core is a bit overkill.
If you want to avoid most turrets you have to go through three r-walls minimum.
And if you cannot into deconstruction, you have to fight three layers of turrets. Overall this layout has twice as many turrets as the old one and by god, most people died to the two (TWO - not twelve) turrets in the foyer.
On the other hand, if the AI is not rogue and asimov, it is easy prey due to windows blocking tazer shots and the core facing the door. In other words, core and the antechamber turrets are only useful when set to laser... kinda meh for good ol' law 1 conform defense.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #145660

The turrets in the hallway are disablers not tasers
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #145700

The intended design called for external turrets, the additional R-wall layer was added as a compromise with Razharas demanding that the turrets be removed.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #145749

Does the AI need to be more defended? Considering
1.Malf is no longer a mode
2.It is the single most powerful player on the station
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #145876

Well, with the objectives being as they were last time I played(IE; AI was a target every other round), then yeah, some extra defense would be fine
But for normal play it feels too strong.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #145879

the new objective system really likes handing out kill the AI objectives

as long as that is the case i'm okay with the R-walls, as it was i would get some guy c4ing into my satellite and shooting me to death inside 15 minutes so often it was ridiculous.

the old one for a tatortot was the work of about 10 seconds, and considering you're on the other side of the station and past a bunch of high access doors the chance of getting revived in a timely fashion is pretty much 0%. even borgs who can negotiate the doors probably won't reach you before you're dead, spaced, and the tot's halfway across the station.

it was too easy.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #145936

Why the fuck do people have it in their head that the AI needs to be a fucking GOD.

Traitors get objectives to kill Oldman Robustin, The Assistant, too but that doesn't mean the game equips me with a goddamn space citadel.

If you want to fortify your core just order your borg to go engi and in a matter of minutes he can turn your satellite into a metallic hellscape, giving AI's this level of protection by DEFAULT in addition to being the most powerful player in the game, is just getting retarded.

Getting rid of malf should've been an excuse to give us a MORE SANE AI BALANCE, not a chance to double down on bullshit. Looking at you Cik, being a traitor objective is not an excuse to go full retard on AI defenses... most traitor objectives are laughably easy. Outside of steal the disk/hijack alone, every other traitor objectives can be accomplished with relative ease.

God I miss the 2010 AI design.
Random Players
Byond Username: Random Players

Post by Random Players » #145954

Oldman Robustin can also dissappear into maint and be a pain to find (personal experience). AI is always in one spot.
Helios

Post by Helios » #145969

Random Players wrote:Oldman Robustin can also dissappear into maint and be a pain to find (personal experience). AI is always in one spot.
Well. 90% of the time they are. They can be moved or carded. Or it's a new AI made by robotics and you don't realize that (I have been a late made AI, and was a late join traitors target. He broke into the satellite to kill me and killed the other AI).
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #145976

Random Players wrote:Oldman Robustin can also dissappear into maint and be a pain to find (personal experience). AI is always in one spot.
This.

People will find the new AI location to be hard to assault for awhile, but eventually someone will figure it out and then everyone knows the optimal ways, and also practice makes perfect. Changing the design every once in awhile helps keep the AI defense solid.

Why does everyone think the AI needs to be just another department to break into?
Cik

Post by Cik » #145977

Oldman Robustin wrote:Why the fuck do people have it in their head that the AI needs to be a fucking GOD.

Traitors get objectives to kill Oldman Robustin, The Assistant, too but that doesn't mean the game equips me with a goddamn space citadel.

If you want to fortify your core just order your borg to go engi and in a matter of minutes he can turn your satellite into a metallic hellscape, giving AI's this level of protection by DEFAULT in addition to being the most powerful player in the game, is just getting retarded.

Getting rid of malf should've been an excuse to give us a MORE SANE AI BALANCE, not a chance to double down on bullshit. Looking at you Cik, being a traitor objective is not an excuse to go full retard on AI defenses... most traitor objectives are laughably easy. Outside of steal the disk/hijack alone, every other traitor objectives can be accomplished with relative ease.

you aren't really allowed to fortify your satellite, as it's meta, and even if you do security will kick the door down anyway.

the defenses of the AI are because it's important to station operation and because it's by nature stationary and very isolated. defensively, i'd easily trade all of the R-walls for being somewhere near where security/the captain/whoever can actually access. as it is, you can easily die even with all of the R-walls before anyone can scramble to help you, and that goes double in chaotic rounds where you can't even be sure anyone will even bother coming to the rescue.

you may as well complain that assassinating the captain is too hard because "man he gets all this equipment like a lasergun and stuff" he gets it because he's important, and so does the AI.
Helios

Post by Helios » #145986

Cik wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:Why the fuck do people have it in their head that the AI needs to be a fucking GOD.

you aren't really allowed to fortify your satellite, as it's meta, and even if you do security will kick the door down anyway.

the defenses of the AI are because it's important to station operation and because it's by nature stationary and very isolated. defensively, i'd easily trade all of the R-walls for being somewhere near where security/the captain/whoever can actually access. as it is, you can easily die even with all of the R-walls before anyone can scramble to help you, and that goes double in chaotic rounds where you can't even be sure anyone will even bother coming to the rescue.

you may as well complain that assassinating the captain is too hard because "man he gets all this equipment like a lasergun and stuff" he gets it because he's important, and so does the AI.
You can if you are a double agent or traitor
Double agent is what, 10% of rounds? And AI has a high chance of rolling traitor during DA.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #146350

I miss being tucked away behind the bridge as an AI.
Only one layer of r-walls, but help was always nearby if needed.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #147150

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but there's no image for the map with the new AI core, at least where it should be on the wiki.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #147153

To be honest

You could have it where the AI doesn't have a core, and is appart of all the station's electronics

If you have a AI kill objective, you'll spawn with a file wipe kit that you can plug in to any APC.

It takes 3 minutes to completely erase the AI from everything, and download it to a intelli-card thats attached to the FWK.

It gives a huge ass notification to the AI that its core files are slowly being wiped, and over the course of the three minutes it takes to do this, the integrity will slowly go down and down and down untill it hits zero, then it will be transfered to the intelli card at 25% integrity.

The AI will have to track down the location of the hack device (it will discolor and modify the APC sprite, so its obvious)

There will be a notification of the general location of the device every minute, once thirty seconds remain, the exact location will be given

Its up to the crew to stop the hack before the AI is destroyed, or risk losing their most valuable asset.

You spawn with these if you have a AI kill objective, and can buy one for 11 TC if you don't.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147156

Or just put it in the station proper again (like near engineering or some shit) so it can get swarmed by the crew rather than just the people who have space suits.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Cik

Post by Cik » #147159

killing the AI is already semi-trivial as long as you understand it's defences

a c4 or two plus an emp or minibomb and you can ggnore it in like 15 seconds

then space the core and you're good

it's only hard when you are unaugmented crew with low numbers, or when it's borg population is very high, or whatever, and then it should be hard.

even the station shouldn't have a problem with it if they've actually done their job. thermite, or bomb through into the core. shoot it.

once you knock out the APC the turrets die, and the APC is on an exterior wall ffs
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #147160

Yeah it's not hard, but with the new box AI sat and malfs being a thing, the crew is sometimes too fucked up to make any kind of resistance towards the AI.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote: