Security equipment is in an odd place

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Re: Security equipment is in an odd place

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #162383

I just put my spares in my locker it's no real issue
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #162414

It's extra clicks, but gearing up for a round has always meant lots of clicks as a security officer. All that's changed with more items in the belts is that I dump the extra flash and pepper spray. Spray's pretty useless if you want to do anything other than knock somebody over (like cuffing them) and flashes are only something I'll use against borgs (it just makes normal people much better at juking). To summarise what happened before and after the belt inventory was changed:

Slap ID in PDA, move them to ID slot. Turn PDA light on.
Grab HUDglasses and belt, put those on (honestly I'm not sure why sec officers never start with these, no competent officer leaves them off)
Grab SecLite, put that on and in pocket (or on helmet/taser)
Take both batons, turn them on, put in backpack/belt respectively
Put second pair of cuffs in belt
Maybe get internals ready to go (tank in pocket), but that's personal preference

Honestly I think the system's okay. You get what you need, the only really limited item is HUD sunglasses (RnD can't even make them, for some reason), and it's about the same level of gearing up as normal. Two batons has been the norm for about a year now. I like it because it's nice to have a backup if disarmed, or if you just run out of charge with one. Certain threats you want to beat to death with the stun on (wizards, changelings, that sort of thing) and in those instances it's nice to have a backup with stun still there.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #162427

I like to keep the pepper spray on hand just to have a low risk option for dealing with greyshirts who are fucking around. It has a decent range of 3 tiles, can't be used against you if they disarm you, and it's really satisfying when you get a hit on them. Taking out your baton or taser around greyshirts is a dangerous fucking proposition, and it's better to minimize that at all costs
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #162435

Pepper spray should get buffed to go through the glasses/face cover.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #162436

But then it is just as dangerous as a baton if it gets taken away from you. Personally i love it because it makes people scream. Great for shitters who like to mouth off.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #162437

Is it? It only gives you blurry vision, and maybe forces you to drop held items.

Buff the vision blur, and remove the item drop. There, you have something that's unique with its own purpose, to disperse low level greytide threat.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #162438

Are you sure? I thought it knocked you down
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #162441

I'm sure pepper spray is a stun on someone without any eye protection.

Then again I've not used it in a while.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #162442

Wyzack wrote:Are you sure? I thought it knocked you down
Right, it's the flash that used to knock down and now drops items from hands.

Either way point stands.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #162465

I didn't really read this but I know someone said something about giving sec belts by default.

Fuck that noise.

I have two weapons and need one on belt and one on armor. Bag and pockets for the other shit.

Belts are the #1 sign of a scrub officer.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #162482

This is the full comment I made on github
Sorry but are you retarded?

It's the exact level of gear they've had for years, with the addition of an extra baton, which they've also had for a year.

Flashes burn out
Cuffs get lost
The baton is the only extra weapon, I don't know if disarms got buffed but I see a hell of a lot more batons getting stolen lately so I would disagree with their removal - especially as taser stuns got gimped last year to the point where you NEED to hit the scumbag with a baton to have enough time to cuff them, so sec officers NEED to have a baton to replace the one that will inevitably get disarm stolen.

Sorry but this is a complete non issue and I feel dumber having read it.
I still stand by the first and last statements.

You missed the second paragraph, which is important.

And completely glossed over my comment about stun batons being required - some cunt grabs your primary and backpacks it? Congrats, without a secondary baton you aren't getting it back - because as I said, taser stuns are gimped to the point that you don't have anywhere close the margin needed to throw on cuffs.
Batons are REQUIRED to cuff people because of the sand in paprika's crotch about people preferring to use tasers instead of disablers.

I went by the boy scout adage of "Better to have and not need than need but not have", figuring its a lot better to have a suboptimal load out and bugging out to intercept a round start loud antag than having to do the same but half naked.

Ironically I moved the flash into the right pocket instead of the backpack or internals box (I usually keep my internals tank there) because I thought people would bitch and moan about not having their flash to hand at round start, I'd forgotten some of you will bitch about anything :roll:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #162484

Oldman Robustin wrote:Belts are the #1 sign of a scrub officer.
Convenience, a sign of weakness. Real officers make their own stun prods in the tool storage. And they grow their own peppers for capsaicin.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #162498

CosmicScientist wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:I didn't really read this but I know someone said something about giving sec belts by default.

Fuck that noise.

I have two weapons and need one on belt and one on armor. Bag and pockets for the other shit.

What's your average load out in its entirety?
Taser on armor, ID in PDA, baton on belt, lasergun in bag if things are getting heated, flash in bag in the event of rogue borg, spare cuff in bag, seclight in pocket, cuff in other pocket.

If you need more room put the spare cuff and flash in your box. Step one of robustness is knowing how to manage your inventory. If you can't deal, get good.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #162502

Because why would you need a spare baton. I can count on one hand the times I've had my baton stolen. A responsible officer only takes their cock baton out when the other party consents by leaving themselves wide open for it.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #162513

ShadowDimentio wrote:Because why would you need a spare baton. I can count on one hand the times I've had my baton stolen. A responsible officer only takes their cock baton out when the other party consents by leaving themselves wide open for it.
One in the bag, one in the belt, that way you don't have to worry about where you put your baton when the moment of truth comes

Also the seclite snaps on your taser/egun for easier storage/handling
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #162514

CosmicScientist wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:I didn't really read this but I know someone said something about giving sec belts by default.

Fuck that noise.

What's your average load out in its entirety?
Taser on belt, Baton on armor, Flashbang in one pocket, Cuffs in one pocket, then 2 spare cuffs in bag with 1 spare flashbang along with a flash.

A robust officer has everything they need to conduct an arrest on the basic HUD without having to diddle around with opening containers. You shave off fractions of a second during a chaotic arrest or fight when you know exactly which slot has what items by instinct. Also I use hotkeys to put away gear and that gets fucky when you start having open belt slots.

Otherwise you're probably some kind of "special needs" officer who has to carry a baton in their bag and belt to try and retard-proof their loadout.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #162520

Or just keep the belt open at all times and don't try so hard
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #162523

CosmicScientist wrote: I didn't miss it at all. The worst offence I have committed is trying to shine a light on security equipment as it stands.

I'm honestly finding it very odd that you have to bring two of a required piece of gear.
Look, I'll make my point as simple as possible:
Security doesn't need yet another pointless nerf because some prat got a bug up their arse because of their ocd.

Do you even play security?

If you don't want the extra equipment dump it in your locker, it's that simple.

Have you seen how much extra equipment engineers have?
Go bug them
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #162565

Since when did using a Belt make you a lesser Sec Officer?

Just keep the belt tab open for maximum response time. I've found having more items on my gives me greater flexibility in the field.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #162569

CosmicScientist wrote:Have you seen every other feedback thread that is unhappy with current set ups?
Go bug them.
No I haven't seen them, because they don't exist because not everyone is as anal retentive as you. :roll:
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #162572

I find the belt a great place to store a stupid number of disposable restraints.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #162624

The belt is the sign of a scrub officer? Guess that's 95% of them, then. I just leave it open, it's by far the most convenient place to store my extra cuffs, flashes, and flashbang, otherwise they take up vital backpack slots (I say vital because you need them to store all the random evidential shit you inevitably pick up). You can fit them in a box, but that's guaranteed extra clicks just when you don't need them (while making arrests). Sure, I could fill my pockets, but then I have more clicks when I need to put on internals (and speed is valuable in those situations, too). I don't expect to wear them every round, and I don't expect to need a secondary baton very often, but if it's there I'm definitely taking it because it's a small sacrifice for a big convenience in the heat of the moment. Retard-proof? Eh, sure, some days I'm definitely feeling unrobust as hell, it's nice to succeed when you're not 100% because you prepared a little better.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #162651

Cheimon wrote:The belt is the sign of a scrub officer?
It's just Oldman memes.