Jetpack Speed

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Jetpack Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #180307

I just got off a round where I got involved in a space jetpack battle with another player, and suffice it to say but it was a shit show.

The speed of which jetpacks let you move make it utterly impossible for either side to do anything. People fly too damn fast to even reasonable expect a projectile to hit, even if you were connected directly to the server. The fact is you can fly faster than the actual projectiles from the guns are firing, its insane and inane.

I propose that the speed of jetpacking is brought down to around the speed of normal station bound movement.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Re: Jetpack Speed

Post by imblyings » #180311

no

make it so that projectiles fling you at the same speed buildmode throw does when you fire a gun in space

leave melee weapons the only viable weapon in space

RULES OF NATURE
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #180316

damage really ought to cause breaches in suits in space
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #180317

damage really ought to cause breaches in suits in space
Make tgstation Bay again
Bring back papercult.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #180327

Even if it was melee only it would be insane and near impossible.

I simply think the movespeed of jetpacks in space is too fast.

I can accept the move speed of running along a wall in space simply because doing so forces you down a very predictable path, and it could incentivse running along the station exterior to move faster before jumping off to use your jetpack.

Right now the difference between a jetpack user and a non-jetpack user means the jetpack will shit on the other guy 100% of the time, every time.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #180337

I mean fighting in space is usually 100% optional
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #180338

TechnoAlchemist wrote:I mean fighting in space is usually 100% optional
Sometimes you get in shitty situations, or get ambused. Its rare, but this is one of those SS13 things where the guy who is more prepared than you should and will win.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #180343

I think stabilization mode is a casual crutch tbh
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #180344

Jetpack is fast but they don't last terribly long. Should still be faster than station bound movement though a minor tweak to lower it from ludicrous to ridiculous speed would be fine.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #180346

They don't last long because neither party will want to commit to the fight, either one party has a gun (and can't hit shit) or both have guns but they can't hit the side of a barn so they both run off when they run low on ammo.

The only reason I """won""" the fight I mention in the OP (I still lost in the end when I broke the sacred rule of never arresting, but killing, someone in space by getting fucked by ling cancel-stun wizardry) was because the guy ran out of air for his jetpack and he had to run away.

Jetpack combat is simply brainless and unfun, you spend more of the time chasing the other guy's jetpack trail or spamming the fire button but not firing because you've got your finger constantly on the movement key just to try and catch up/dodge the other guy.

Not to mention if one side has a jetpack and the other does not then your uttely fucked. My idea of making jetpacks as fast as running on station but running on the side of the station outside as fast as it is now gives a actual good reason to want to hug the wall to move faster, whereas the Jetpack is better for combat navigation and dodging fire/being unpredictable, as well as for indoors no-gravity.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #180356

Oooh man don't even bring that slowspace nonsense back in.

We're finally free of that horrible idea.

>MUH NUKE OPS GETTING LOST
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #180380

Not everybody can be Boba Fett.