General SS13 Chat
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Test proposal thread

Post by Steelpoint » #164358

Bottom post of the previous page:

I feel like these tests are more turning into a 'Wacky Change of the Week'.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #164375

Test, test, test! It is in the crucible of testing that wacky ideas are weeded out and good features emerge. So I say, propose and test away, even if it seems stupid and wacky at first!

Next one should probably be no stuns, there is already a PR for removing one-shot tasers so it would be the best time to test it, before we definitely move away from stun-based combat
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #165065

Remove knock downs interrupting speaking.

I think one of the main things that makes murderboning easy is that you can silence people simply via murderboning.
Unlike the old days where taking too long to kill someone meant the whole station knew your name, where you are, what you looked like, and your home post code.
Cuboos
Byond Username: Cuboos

Post by Cuboos » #165137

Malkevin wrote:Remove knock downs interrupting speaking.

I think one of the main things that makes murderboning easy is that you can silence people simply via murderboning.
Unlike the old days where taking too long to kill someone meant the whole station knew your name, where you are, what you looked like, and your home post code.
But the knock down is hilarious.

"Greytide McStation wide is-GLORF!"

"Shitcurity is-a murd-HEUGH"

"Gas the lig-UGH"
/TG/ First and Only Sound guy
The only Dev unanimously loved least hated.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #165139

Random starting lawset instead of all-asimov-all-the-time. Pick from a short list.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Zilenan91

Post by Zilenan91 » #165143

How about we test no rules for a day to see how players react and the environment that creates
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:
Just replace both their arms with chainsaws.

HAVE FUN ESCAPING NOW WITH NO ARMS
yackemflam
Byond Username: Yackemflam

Post by yackemflam » #165144

I propose that sec gets a 1911 as a round start weapon instead of a taser. :honk:
NSFW:
I will admit I was laughing pretty hard during your skit in the boxing ring. - seagrimr
Spoiler:
Playing on the server isn't something you're entitled to. There's an extremely small level of responsibiliy on your part to play hhundreds of hours of a free game run by fuckheads. - Stickymayhem
A retards guide on how to make a maxcap bomb in toxins.
NSFW:
You`ll need:
1-6 Plasma tanks 1-6 Oxygen tanks
1-6 tank transfer valve
2 Plasma canister
2 Oxygen canister
1 Yellow (empty) canister
Wrench
Toxins lab access
Science testing lab access

Grab a oxygen tank and a plasma tank and bring them to the testing lab.
Super cool the Oxygen and superheat the Plasma.

Clean out the oxygen and plasma tanks with a filter/pump.

Then you wrench and unwrench the plasma and oxygen tanks in toxins. It`s important tha you do it one at a time. Try to get a 85%plasma and 15% oxygen mix.

Once you have a good burn mix, pump the mix into the burn chamber and light it on fire. Wait 10 seconds for it to heat up and pump it into a yellow (empty) canister.

Quickly set the kpa output to 163 kpa and fill the tanks with the burn mix.

Take the oxygen tanks and fill it up with a 613kpa worth of oxygen FIRST then fill the rest with plasma, you should get well over 2000kpa in the end.

With the new atmos system you should wait 5-10 minutes for you tanks to bake.

Take a tank transfer valve, add a oxygen tank and a plasma tank to it. You should have a maxcap bomb. Have fun blowing up the station mining!
Smeller
Byond Username: Smeller

Post by Smeller » #165211

Adding Bay's hostage system as a test
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #165219

Smeller wrote:Adding Bay's hostage system as a test
This is something I can actually get behind.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #165221

No one will care.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #165222

>Implying hostages have any meaning on a station where cloning makes you immune to nearly all forms of death
>Implying people won't kill you AND the hostage and then just revive the hostage
Unless you make holding a gun to the hostage's head and pulling the trigger delete the brain; no one will give a damn you have a hostage
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #165229

Zilenan91 wrote: - Since power would instantly run out the shuttle would be instantly called due to there being no active comms consoles and every round would be 30 minutes long, so we wouldn't learn anything.
Incorrect. The shuttle will not autocall due to a lack of power. The autocall only kicks in if the screen is smashed or the console deconned.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #165231

Actually the console does autocall if there is no power ANYWHERE on the station. Including APCs. And APCs take an eternity to drain completely assuming they're not powering a bluespace freezer/heater.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #165234

Double the volume at which you hear sounds play, greatly reduce the volume though.

Right now its VERY LOUD TOOLBOXING, Loud toolboxing, Acceptable volume in one ear, then complete silence the moment its off screen.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #165244

Some of the tests have been pretty worthwhile, I thought the lethality one was pretty cool.
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #165268

Lethal weapons in security would be interesting to see how that affects people fucking with security every round for fun.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #165300

Tornadium wrote:Lethal weapons in security would be interesting to see how that affects people fucking with security every round for fun.
yea I fully support this
holoparas and dual eswords are less bullshit
encourages err pee
shitters who wont stand down get blasted

only downside is these ai laws would not support it
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #165303

how the fuck have you cucks who want lethal security already forgotten
we literally did that test
remember steelrifles?
yeah
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Tornadium
Byond Username: Tornadium

Post by Tornadium » #165329

PKPenguin321 wrote:how the fuck have you cucks who want lethal security already forgotten
we literally did that test
remember steelrifles?
yeah
Yeah I remember,

I really enjoyed it and the fact that a select few bitched and moaned so hard that it was shut down in like 3 hours gives credibility to carrying the test out for an actual testing period. Besides most people were angry with Rifles, not the Sidearms.
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #165334

The sidearms weren't lethal, they were a 2-shot-2-stun ballistic disabler. Steelrifles were regularly carried by lots of security officers during the, as I recall, several days they were around, and they did exactly what you'd expect: antagonists got shut down much faster than usual and the majority of antag players hated the change. I know I enjoyed it, but that was because it gave me more power as a security officer.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #165335

The pistols also let you turn them into more versatile stechkins which was nice, I think there was even a bunch of lethal mags in the Sectech.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #165338

The steelrifles issue was that they were ballistic weapons in a game that was balanced around the concept that station forces used energy weapons.
E-swords and e-shields didn't do shit against them.

Give sec laser rifles that aren't shit and run that test.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #165416

After this grabmeme, can we test a few weeks without Goof?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #165420

At the time Eshields and Swords blocked projectiles at a 50% rate, now I think its 0% but I can't recall the change Kor did.

The main issue with my Auto Rifles was that there was a group of people who went out of their way to abuse the rifles as much as possible to get them removed.

The Pistols I concede were meh but the Rifles were fine. Especially after the balance changes I effected literally a day before the Rifles were removed and no one got to see the changes I effected.

Edit: Amusingly last I checked the Warden on Metastation still spawns with a Auto Rifle in his personal locker.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #165444

How about a test where antags don't spawn until, say, 10 minutes station time?

It'll remove roundstart suiciders and gives security a chance to handle greytide before antags start fucking the station, and gives the crew the chance to do their jobs before the round becomes unplayable within 5 minutes.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #165445

Anonmare wrote: Unless you make holding a gun to the hostage's head and pulling the trigger delete the brain; no one will give a damn you have a hostage
Even with this in place the only person who will care is the hostage.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #165468

Criminals are nonhuman and security has a special assistant processor that only eats assistants (well singulo already loves engineers it can be done) and turns them instantly into delicious burgers so the officer can refuel on his way to catch more assistants. Finally security and the AI are at peace. Hey with all the sec nerf mongering might as well try the opposite!
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #165471

Soylant Green is people!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #165672

Yakumo_Chen wrote:How about a test where antags don't spawn until, say, 10 minutes station time?

It'll remove roundstart suiciders and gives security a chance to handle greytide before antags start fucking the station, and gives the crew the chance to do their jobs before the round becomes unplayable within 5 minutes.
now this i could actually get behind, you've got a good reason for it and it doesn't seem too game-breaking
maybe only apply it to certain antags (like traitors, changelings, shadowlings, revheads, gangs etc) so that nuke ops still get prep time and blob can arrive before science already has xrays
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #165733

That's been a suggestion for a long time and one I supported.

I think we had some arguments over its implementations but overall I think having a five to ten minute random delay on assigning antag status would be at the very least a interesting test.
DanielRatherman
Byond Username: DanRatherman

Post by DanielRatherman » #165748

I agree with a 10 minute antag delay- Would make a few really nice things happen:

-Reduce "i didnt get antag" HoP line suicides.
-Get people who are running station-critical jobs solo to at least set up and get out some product before skulking off into maint.
-Give sec some time to implement standing orders, hierarchies, and equip themselves before having to worry about traitors.
-Get rid of a lot of the metagaming around things like AI bolting doors, people securing known traitor goals and shit immediately, because for the first 10 minutes there's no chance of an antag speed-rushing those things.
-Gives cargo, RnD, and Assistant traitors time to do some normal stocking-up and dealings before even getting their TCs, which should make them stronger without messing with their traitor items- since they'll likely have already gathered some supplies before buying anything.
-Reduce traitor-incited graytides fueled by early round fluke traitors dropping shit or competent traitors riling them up immediately to lynch a target.

The only issue I can think of is a slight metagame one, in which anything suspicious happening in the first 10 minutes of a round is now KNOWN to either not be traitorous, and therefor perhaps not taken seriously, or to be a gamemode other than traitor. For example any sign of an emag at 9 minutes in confirms Nuke Ops basically. Probably not too serious an issue given that OPs rarely get fluked or caught within 10 minutes, but still worth considering.

Can't think of a good way to delay team antags or away-spawning ones like ops or wizard easily though- short of making people selected for them wait 10 minutes before teleporting or sending their shuttle.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #165758

It'd be best if it only applied to antags that didn't 'spawn', like Traitor, Gang, Revhead, Changeling, Shadowling. All the antags that by default start by assigning antag status to a crew member would get delayed.

Ops, Wizard, and Blob still get spawned immediately, for balance and code reasons (hard to delay the spawns without using ghosts). Ops and Blob work best when they're active immediately (as the faster they do stuff, the less time the station has to react to them).
Wizard I don't consider a roundtype worthy of delaying anyway since wizard rounds are ALWAYS a clusterfuck and it is practically guaranteed that it will be impossible to continue the round normally the minute a wizard does absolutely anything are memes and there's no point delaying them.
Smeller
Byond Username: Smeller

Post by Smeller » #165876

Bringing back stungloves for a week
Supermichael777
Byond Username: Supermichael777

Post by Supermichael777 » #165921

Medium Rp. at about cm level of autism would be about right.
oranges wrote:It's my game, not yours
Never forget the corruption of these halls

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I actually care.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Omar Beail says, "You guys should fuck for my entertainment"
Classy, TG, Classy

OOC: KorPhaeron: Admins aren't allowed to have friends

OOC: Daman997: I HAVE POSTED VIDEOS OF A MAN FUCKING A SNAKE IN OOC GIVE ME THAT LINK PUSSY
An0n3 wrote:Take the same brand of retardation and invert it and you have people saying "It's okay for a game to cost more because I enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Q: Why does everyone assume I’m a pervert just for wanting to play as a cat girl?
A: Because they’re degenerate cocksuckers who cannot fathom that another person might have pure intentions in wanting to play as the cat girl master race. Their wish fulfillment fetish-tier races like elves, aasimars, goliaths, and hobgoblins are perfectly fine in their mad, lust-filled minds, such that the purity and perfection of cat girls burns at their evil perverted hearts.

Q: Where are the cat boys?
A: I don’t follow.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #167482

Remove cargo inplants test
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #167484

Remove Asimov Law 1 inaction clause.
dionysus24779
Byond Username: Dionysus24779

Post by dionysus24779 » #167491

Paint Secborg blue.

Call it Peacekeeper Module.

Have a pop up appear on screen once the player chooses a module where he has to wait 5 seconds or tick a box before s/he can click "Ok" and have that pop-up explain that he's NOT part of security and has to follow his laws and not space-law or whatever.

Give it two weeks time to see if borg players then get a better grip on how to Secborg should've always been played in the first place.
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #167524

Scott wrote:Remove Asimov Law 1 inaction clause.
You really should read Asimov's short stories.
The robot could drop a weight on a human below that it knew it could catch before it injured the potential victim. Upon releasing the weight however, its altered programming would allow it to simply let the weight drop, since it would have played no further active part in the resulting injury.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #167528

I literally bring up little lost robot every time someone mentions removing half of law 1
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #167532

And I would bring up the arm length silicon policy that chops up asimov in so many ways that it no longer resembles the source material.
Removing that pain in the arse second part would not have any extra ramification becauses policy would tell people to not be cunts.

Also goon of all places removed it years ago and hasn't had problems.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #167545

Shad0vvs wrote:
The robot could drop a weight on a human below that it knew it could catch before it injured the potential victim. Upon releasing the weight however, its altered programming would allow it to simply let the weight drop, since it would have played no further active part in the resulting injury.
Wyzack wrote:I literally bring up little lost robot every time someone mentions removing half of law 1
If you want a pure Asimov experience, remove silicon policy and let players handle the interpretation of laws as they see fit, giving each AI its own flavor depending on who is playing.
Shad0vvs
Byond Username: Shad0vvs

Post by Shad0vvs » #167556

Scott wrote:If you want a pure Asimov experience, remove silicon policy and let players handle the interpretation of laws as they see fit, giving each AI its own flavor depending on who is playing.
How is law interpretation related to sillicon policy? Most situations are the AI's interpretation is the final wording on how to interpret the lawset. They each usually go with the same definitions but I've seen some do wacky stuff before.
[03:37:46]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Alright
[03:37:47]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Shoot her in the face
[03:37:54]SAY: Sabella Rose/Burningone : Space law
[03:38:02]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : If she says space law again
[03:38:04]SAY: Uriel Sutton/Shad0vvs : Space her
[03:38:09]SAY: Phoebe Lotsu/Shaps : The true space law
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #167559

Scott wrote:If you want a pure Asimov experience, remove silicon policy and let players handle the interpretation of laws as they see fit, giving each AI its own flavor depending on who is playing.
HUMANS ARE HARMFUL TO HUMANS BOLT EVERYBODY IN THEIR DEPARTMENTS. VENT N2O SO THEY SLEEP.

Yeah this totally wont get old after the first time.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #167569

Scott wrote:You're acting like the crew doesn't know how to dispose of those AIs.
Saegrimr wrote:Yeah this totally wont get old after the first time.
You're acting like silicon policy doesn't exist because this was a problem before.
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167601

The inaction clause is there because the AI is too powerful and players are too assholey to trust them with it.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167606

Also as far as tests go, how about we put Sybil on the hub and lower the rules to see how players change over time.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #167615

Shad0vvs wrote:
like i've said before, this is a video game being driven by humans with the main goal being fun. if a fag tries to interpret the laws in such a way that he just murders the entire crew, ban him for being a dick.
the asimov story was just the robots using a certain interpretation of the laws that allowed harm. we can use the "correct" interpretation because we're humans and not literal robots. comparing this game to lost little robot is and always has been a strawman.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167620

It's not a strawman. People have and are currently arguing for literal real life weeks about if something is harm or not. There's a thread up right now asking if AI laws were retroactive, and there's admins and players pitching in with their own viewpoints with there being one prevelant, yet not binding, consensus on it, that being "not being a buttbaby."

But that's the thing

You can't stop players from being buttbabies. It's impossible, so these long, drawn out "arguments" on policy just tend to be people attempting to justify shittiness while everyone else inputs their own personal opinions, accomplishing nothing but masking the real issue.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #167622

Zilenan91 wrote:It's not a strawman. People have and are currently arguing for literal real life weeks about if something is harm or not. There's a thread up right now asking if AI laws were retroactive, and there's admins and players pitching in with their own viewpoints with no real definitive, yet not binding, consensus on, "not being a buttbaby."

But that's the thing

You can't stop players from being buttbabies. It's impossible, so these long, drawn out "arguments" on policy just tend to be people attempting to justify shittiness while everyone else inputs their own personal opinions, accomplishing nothing but masking the real issue.
It is a strawman.
The real argument:
"If we remove the inaction clause, we can interpret the laws to not have to actively prevent harm unless asked to by law two. We could hypothetically interpret it as "I didn't kill him, my bullet did," and get away with murder, but we won't, because we are humans and we realize that's the wrong interpretation."

The argument being attacked when people mention the Little Lost Robot:
"Robots that can't tell apart the correct interpretation of Asimov without the inaction clause from the incorrect interpretation would just kill everybody. They will do this every time, because they are robots."

The strawman comes from the fact that arguing with Little Lost Robot softly implies that humans are exactly the same as robots, when in reality they are not. It also assumes that silicons in-game wont get banned for killing people, when in reality they would get bwoinked and dunked almost immediately. Because of this, it tries to compare two different arguments that are similar, but not the same (see: a strawman).

Basic English lessons aside, the only real reasons people don't want to get rid of the inaction clause is 1) they are a borg player and wanna get their valids on more easily, and 2) they are a normal player who doesn't like dying and wants the borgs to always always always be forced to save them from danger by default.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91
Confined to the shed

Post by Zilenan91 » #167625

I only want to keep it because it'd lead to shitty situations where AIs would actively ignore people who are bleeding or in shitty situations rather than helping them out or even acknowledging them. It would basically be a total waste of the omnipotence that the AI has and relegate it for nothing but valids since they would never want to use it for anything but that.
Spoiler:
Zilenan91 wrote:

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #167627

Welp, better not remove the inaction part because window licking retards like Unloved Rock will crap their pants.