Antag rolling chances

General SS13 Chat
youngbuckliontiger

Antag rolling chances

Post by youngbuckliontiger » #35074

Do you get better if you roll for one specific antag role?
Or is the chances the same even if you roll for every antag role?
Player name: Rob Ust
Lets have fun in SS13!
I don't play anymore though.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Re: Antag rolling chances

Post by Incoming » #35130

The chances are independent. You have a better overall chance of getting antag if you've turned on every kind of antag, but each KIND of antag still only has that same base chance.

You can't "specialize" in an antag type like that, no.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #35910

Which antags are drawn depends on the round mode. Because we usually run the Secret mode, the round mode is randomized every time the game starts. Once it starts, it randomly assigns antag roles based on the round mode to the pool of players that had a preference set for that type of antag.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #36101

There's one sure fire way of getting antag, and thats OOC: "ROLLING FOR <antag job>!!!"
Spoiler:
then you cry because you didn't get wizard or anything else in that matter
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #36102

I'd like to point out that I started the "ROLLING FOR WIZARD" meme
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #36163

The only thing that could really affect this is the server's probabilities for roundtypes. There's literally a text file with the names of rounds, and numbers next to them, and that's the weight they get in the RNG when it's time to roll for a round type. For instance, Traitor is probably the most common; Malfunction or Revolution have less chance of happening.
RIP
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #36177

Scaredy's probs are different from the codebase's probs .txt because he has a local copy only he can edit so coders can't secretly turn wizard up to 6 again
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
youngbuckliontiger

Post by youngbuckliontiger » #36340

Rewarding players points for surviving or winning as antag. They could use those points to get higher chances of getting antag.
Lets have fun in SS13!
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #36342

Play Security role X amount of times, get free antag token.

I don't think a token system like that would work. Maybe.
youngbuckliontiger

Post by youngbuckliontiger » #36347

It encourages players not to kill themselves since if they survive, they know they will get points to spend on getting antag.
Each round you survive, you get 100 points.
If you win as antag, you get 500 points. or maybe the harder the antag role is, the more points you get like winning as nuke op gives you 1000 points.
You can use your points to buy antag status.
Traitor/DA/Changeling- 10000 points
Cult/Rev- 20000 points
Malf Ai- 30000 points
Nuke ops- 50000 points
Wiznard-100000 points
Ninja-75000 points
Lets have fun in SS13!
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #36364

Wouldnt matter with the tokens, then how are you supose to actually use them? You can late join and say "I think ill be a wizard in a rev round!", even if you join at the start of the round and use the token it will still RNG the round type. You'll probaly get a higher priority in getting the role but thats just about it
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #36366

That actually sounds kinda cool. It would be a way to bust up the meta too, if somebody wanted to, like, lone nuke op in a changeling round or something, without it just coming down to 'admins did it and ruined my antag round'.

Speaking of which, admins would need a way to defer that kind of thing, like an approval system or I dunno. Maybe just make it so extended doesn't let you buy antag, so they can set it for that when they want to do something. But I do quite like the idea, alongside our normal lottery, so even people who feel like they're on a huge run of bad luck can eventually get some antag-ing in.
RIP
youngbuckliontiger

Post by youngbuckliontiger » #36371

This will make some people have a play to win playstyle(thats kind of a bad thing) if it ever gets implemented.
Lets have fun in SS13!
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #36374

Play to win is only encouraged for antags, which I think is a good thing, as currently a lot of them play to ruin the round for as many people as possible.

It decreases play to win for non-antags, as they'd rather just mind their own business and survive the round.
A hugely fantastic effect would be less people willing to stupidly risk their life just to deny that greentext.
youngbuckliontiger

Post by youngbuckliontiger » #36377

That is very true but it would be boring if ur antag and there is no resistance at all.
So it should be like an antag vs crew thing.
The crew can get x2 points if they win against antags. So if u survived that round plus u win against antags, u get 200 points.
To win against multiple antags is to make sure that 50% or more of the antags get redtext.
This will make people either to take the risk and defeat the antags for double points or just try to survive for 100 points.
Also to survive means that you have to get to centcomm in a shuttle or pod.

And latejoiners cant buy antag roles.
Lets have fun in SS13!
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #36382

Well what you're describing is literally the 'play to win' people complain about, and the rules kinda sorta say you're not supposed to do. The crew are not supposed to be working to stop the antag. That's sec and the head's jobs.
youngbuckliontiger

Post by youngbuckliontiger » #36386

But security will be scared to fight the antags because Muh points doe. The fix to this would be for only security roles, HoS and captain to get double points instead of the whole crew.
Lets have fun in SS13!
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #36389

They should get the points regardless, as their reward for playing a role who can't be antag.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #36391

How to scrub out any chance of roleplay left in ss13: the idea
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #36407

Steelpoint wrote:Play Security role X amount of times, get free antag token.
This won't make Security on average any worse at all by being stuffed with terrible people looking for antag. Definitely not.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #36421

Funnily enough it used to be whoever accepted fastest would likely be an antah, so me, zaros and a couple others were antag every other round.

And AIs used to be either a traitor or malf every round, and the AI sat had cold fire and slippy foam everywhere.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #36593

youngbuckliontiger wrote:Rewarding players points for surviving or winning as antag. They could use those points to get higher chances of getting antag.
That might actually work. As long as the increased chances aren't too large.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #36598

This is a terrible idea and discourages anyone from being anything but absolutely mechanically robust and prepared at all times, as well as quelling any kind of interesting creativity that could risk dem points.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
damiac
Rarely plays

Post by damiac » #36628

Fair point, to make it at all viable (meaning, it doesn't make SS13 less fun) you'd have to somehow give out the points for people playing... well the way you want them to play. Meaning you'd get these points mainly by doing your job, and for surviving the round.

I can't imagine how such a feature could be programmed. As an idea, it's cool, but of course people would just game whatever system there was to get the best chance of being an antag. Still, if someone were to somehow come up with a working system, it would be great, because it's better for everyone if the game itself rewards you for playing the 'right' way, rather than getting punished OOC for playing the 'wrong' way.