Security Question.

General SS13 Chat
Zsword

Security Question.

Post by Zsword » #48801

I was thinking about putting this in the 'simple questions' topic, but figured it might spark some debate, so here it is here instead:

Which do you think is better, Security that's a little more lax? Or security that's a little more strict? For referance points, let's say oh, someone's breaking and entering into medbay, and a guard passes by during the welding and doesn't so much as bat an eye. If not Medbay, then say maybe... Robotics or the Kitchen? While the 'strict' guard would drop everything, inquire, if no response/bad response, Taze and 2 minutes.

Naturelly, all guards should respond to life threatening/'high risk' problems, like breaking into Teleporter, murder, Syndies...

and to follow up, how active should the warden be in average afairs, should they be the nazi ruler of the brig, demanding all incoming inmates (or, personnell) be processed directly by him, over seen by him, and ruled by him while in his domain? Or should he be the Brigs silent guardian, only interfering when he sees actual slights, always present but never obtuse lest other forces force his hand?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Security Question.

Post by Steelpoint » #48803

Personally I think a inbetween style would be the best approach.

What I would do in this situation is tell them to stop what they are doing and move along, if they refuse I give a more direct warning. Then I hit them on the head and toss them out the department. If they continue I go up to a timed sentence.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #48817

I usually play a more lax sec. It is all about context. For example if in that scenario if there were no doctors or medstaff and the guy was poisoned, i would help him get in. Or if it was less urgent, then tell him to go get access. If he is doing it to be shit or to get at his tator target then a search and maybe a trip to the brig is in order. Being too strict starts the calls of shitcurity pretty early on, and makes the tide/clown a lot more unruly. Being chillsec can sometimes get them on your side, which is always nice.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #49276

Alrighty, thanks for the answers, I've been personally debating with getting back into being Sec and/or Warden.

... especially Warden, cause one doesn't necessarily be a robust 'combatant' to be a robust warden, even if you suck in a fight, appropriate awareness seems to be all you need.
Zsword

Post by Zsword » #49774

Bump:

What would you consider to fall under the warden's responsabilities? I know the Wiki is there, but there's, the wiki, and the communities actual interpretation.

What I've seen it boils down to:

Make sure Sec isn't being shit to prisoners/detainees.
Blob? Open up the armory
Syndies? Open up the Armory.
Revolution? Open up the armory... to anyone with a Loyalty Implant. If no loyalty implant, make it happen. Keep HoS Safe as he Keeps the Captain Safe, and the general, chaos fest that is Rev.
Cult? Open up the Armory, again to the implanted. Make sure the local water tank is Holy Water and drug any converted who come in.
Changeling and Traitor? Eh, if someone catches a ling in the act, make a meal out of them. Traitor? Well, default game mode is default.
Aliums? Open up.

Mind you there are always situational circumstances, but I find that these are the go to's, the one thing I kinda enjoy about Warden is that it's a Security job that doesn't need to be a Robust combatant to be Robust at it's job.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #49776

As warden UPDATE THE FUCKING SEC RECORDS

It is a good way to fill your downtime, and makes it so much easier for latejoining sec to know what is going on. Also make sure that your officers have a reason for setting people to arrest. Way too often i have people brought in and no one knows why.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #49782

Always call your location at the start of any sec call.

Always.

Always.

It is profoundly annoying as a HoS to hear "Oh I found a dead body" and not knowing where. More importantly howver, is that it is nightmarish to hear "I found a dead body" and then to hear, 2 seconds later "H-h-h-h-h-help!" without having any idea where you are.

State your location. All day, every day. Doesn't matter if you are checking an incident or calling in to report you are taking a dump. Call your location.

"In medbay, body here" is much more useful, and takes as long to type as "I found a dead body."

Bonus points, it allows the warden to be useful by operating the cameras at any location where you are calling illict behavior. It can often save your life if he knows his camera system, as he can spot things out of your line of sight and can help track you if you get got. Speaking of, a big job of the warden is specifically to man those cameras and help act as dispatch. Zoom to areas sec are responding to, as well as to places people are calling for help from, and act as their eyes on the scene. Sec teams with a good warden doing this are sec teams who are alive.

Other best practicies include stating "Responding" over security radio to distress calls, and to public if you feel it will help the person you are responding to, as well as trying to respond to situations in pairs, being able to type "help" quickly, and perhaps even creating a personal "officer in disress" code with sec, like "111" or something else that is instant to type. Also, learn projectile behavior. Always aim past your target rather than trying to click directly at them. Robust players don't aim for "One shot, one stun" but instead will fire off a specific patterned tri-shot that is extremely hard to dodge and almost always gets your guy if he is not adjacent to you. Essentially imagine you are in the middle of a 3 tile wide hallway, and aim your gun so you are firing at the edge of the screen at each line in the hallway. Firing each shot off one after another rapidly creates a cone, and even when aiming at a single target it is easier to align your shot by the edge of the screen, or at least a little past your target, rather than trying to click on them directly.

As for sec attitude, be professional. Be polite to people, understand that the best sec officers have good IC people skills over being super robust. Ask them how they are doing after shit goes down or before. Be the face of security and make sure you are smiling. For the love of god act like other heads are superior officers because they are, and it makes all of sec's life harder when you are hostile to them. Ideally you should give them priority and do whatever they ask unless it is illegal. But be willing to throw down with the best of them when you notice something fishy. If some dude is welding into medical you ask him what he is doing, not walk by, and if his answer sucks, or he ignores you take his ass down right then and there, that is breaking and entering, clear cut. You should then inform a doctor of what he was trying to do so that they are both aware that they were in danger and may be in danger in the future if they see this person, and so that they are aware that you are about and looking out for them.
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #49846

As Wyzack said you should look at it case-by-case. If the person welding into Medbay has a person in critical condition right behind them then you should think to yourself that this could be an urgent scenario. If then you don't see any medical staff around and maybe see the person welding in had asked the AI to open up Medbay's doors over the radio with no response I would say that the scenario is in fact urgent enough to warrant them breaking in. From there I'd say the best thing to do is to simply follow in after them to make sure that they are in fact trying to give whatever aid is needed, don't try and talk to them immediately either because they're probably focusing on whoever it is they have with them. If you do start a little interrogation when the person in crit hasn't been dealt with the person breaking in might view you as a threat to getting the person treated and thus might be hostile with you.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #49874

Use your mind, don't follow space law blindly - its a general guideline, and even says that right in it and even states you have a lot of flex with it.

Still though, be tough on crime.
Person breaking into medbay? Stun, Cuff, and THEN ask them what they're up to.
Personal expirience has taught me that people breaking into areas are selfish dicks that want to do something without interacting with other people, even though theres people right there in that department that are standing about with their thumb up their arse waiting for something to do.

And always be prepared to throw space law out the window.
Malf AIs, Wizards, Nuke Ops, Blobs, aliums? Space law does not apply, help the crew smash into places to get their valids.
Cults and Revs, Space Law also does not apply - don't bother with people doing minor crimes that are obviously not revs/cultists, don't waste a ton of time with asshats that are probable revs/cultists - you have the leeway to smash their heads in, use it as needed.