Syndicate Encryption Keys

Post by Scones » #57257

Start buying them
It's nice to not be lonely while I listen to every other radio channel
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Vigilare

Re: Syndicate Encryption Keys

Post by Vigilare » #57259

the problem with syndie encryption keys is that if you buy it just for the syndiechat...

- you have to have one
- another tater has to have one
- the other tater has to talk
- you have to talk (potentially outing yourself as tater to someone who has you as their objective)

it's better for everyone if we all buy them, but since nobody buys them anyway, it'll stay that way cause they work best in pairs

maybe make it like a cult tome, so you can contact other taters that don't have the key.. but they need the key to reply
Image Image Image
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #57262

Yeah it's just that coordination is fun. Some of my most entertaining ling rounds have been those where everyone uses the chat and decides "Alright lets group up and go loud".

I guess it's too risky but such is life in SS13
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #57321

I usually buy one if I don't feel like a surplus crate. Pretty sure tator AIs have one by default, and hearing all the channels is a very nice boon. Only issue is that telecomms scripts can potentially invalidate its secrecy.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #57339

Person who added them to uplinks here, thanks for trying to promote them.

I imagine two big reasons why people don't use them very much is that I didn't make a changelog update for it because I'm lazy so people may not even know it's in there and that perhaps it costs too much.

Thoughts on making it cheaper? Perhaps alongside the binary key?
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #57341

An "encryption key kit" for like 7 telecrystals or something wouldn't be out of the question. It sounds a little too powerful, however, and 5 telecrystals is a pretty cheap price as it is.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #57498

The fact that traitor isn't a team antag mode and that killing another traitor for their equipment is worth it, makes having a syndicate radio channel pointless. It's good to have available on the off chance two or more traitors team up.

Also good to give to hacked cyborgs.
Feretal
Byond Username: Feretal

Post by Feretal » #57507

For me the problem with it is that I'm potentially wasting those telecrystals on the encryption key when I could buy something guaranteed to be useful. A lowered cost would be neat.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #57516

Seems really overpriced to me for what it does.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Phalanx300
Byond Username: Phalanx300

Post by Phalanx300 » #57518

Vigilare wrote:the problem with syndie encryption keys is that if you buy it just for the syndiechat...

- you have to have one
- another tater has to have one
- the other tater has to talk
- you have to talk (potentially outing yourself as tater to someone who has you as their objective)

it's better for everyone if we all buy them, but since nobody buys them anyway, it'll stay that way cause they work best in pairs

maybe make it like a cult tome, so you can contact other taters that don't have the key.. but they need the key to reply
This would be better. "Any traitors out there? Meet me at fitness if you want to work together."
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #57530

Combine the syndicate and binary keys into one key perhaps? That way, anyone who gets a binary key to listen in on the silicons also has access to a channel they wouldn't be interested in otherwise.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Balut
Byond Username: Balut

Post by Balut » #57596

Ricotez wrote:Combine the syndicate and binary keys into one key perhaps? That way, anyone who gets a binary key to listen in on the silicons also has access to a channel they wouldn't be interested in otherwise.
I'll second this motion.

Alternatively could perhaps make it free. Put it in their backpack, or replace the standard encryption key with it, though the latter description would I assume be meta'd as fuck.
"Yeah, they're kick-ass robot pilots!" "But they sing and dance!" "They launch from a secret base..." "...that's right under the opera house!"
Sakura Wars
Spoiler:
Malkevin wrote:
No no, I don't want to be surrounded by spergs
An0n3 wrote:
Why are you here then?
http://sam.wileycomputerworks.com/SS13/
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #57609

Balut wrote:
Ricotez wrote:Combine the syndicate and binary keys into one key perhaps? That way, anyone who gets a binary key to listen in on the silicons also has access to a channel they wouldn't be interested in otherwise.
I'll second this motion.

Alternatively could perhaps make it free. Put it in their backpack, or replace the standard encryption key with it, though the latter description would I assume be meta'd as fuck.
Thirded. On that note I'm just gonna start buying the key and hoping it catches on
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #57622

I think I'll see about making it cheaper for now, it was originally 6 TCs along with the binary key before I lowered both to 5 so no reason why I can't see about going further. I could also see about adding it to a bundle or making a new bundle of some sort.

One of the reasons I added it in the first place is that it was extremely simple to take an already existing item and throw it in the uplink, I'm not really all that adept at coding especially with anything to do with radios.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #57626

also I don't think everyone realizes how useful it is to hear all the other radio channels, you can't talk on them unless you have another cypherkey with access to them but at least you know what everyone is up to

syndicate + binary key basically means that you're always one step ahead of your biggest threats
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #59027

Ricotez wrote:also I don't think everyone realizes how useful it is to hear all the other radio channels, you can't talk on them unless you have another cypherkey with access to them but at least you know what everyone is up to
This. Its extremely useful on higher pop rounds. Mainly because command and sec normally report stuff in and you can literally avoid anyone tailing you.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box