General SS13 Chat
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

how do you repair the station fast enough

Post by John_Oxford » #361674

generic event that damages the station below 85% integrity

how do you repair it fast enough to prevent some nigger from calling the shuttle

list engineering strats here
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: how do you repair the station fast enough

Post by Anonmare » #361682

Smartfoam can quickly close breaches but they need at least lattices to cross across, otherwise you'll get a single tile
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #361743

Seal breaches with atmos foam to prevent loss of air, go from there fixing the breach, If I am CE recall the shuttle if some jackass calls it.

Smart foam is nice, But I prefer atmos foam as it still lets you see what areas need fixing.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #362088

Too many people focus on patching the entire breach when all you ned to do is just make the area safe enough for people without EVA gear to traverse. Less area to re-pressurize means less time spent running around in zero atm/0k.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #362091

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Too many people focus on patching the entire breach when all you ned to do is just make the area safe enough for people without EVA gear to traverse. Less area to re-pressurize means less time spent running around in zero atm/0k.
^

you don't need to fix up the entire hallway (immediately), a 2x2 hallway where you blocked off the exposed shit with walls will work until you can fix everything else and means people are less likely to smash that mf shuttle call
Limey wrote:its too late.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #362099

Don't bother fixing air alarms.

Hook up a connector with a cannister to the distro line and open it at default pressure.

Works faster and more reliable than any vent.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #362131

Forget the foam and just pack a fucking RCD. Seriously, the engivend has had them for like a year.
If the vendor's empty 15 metal sheets will get you one from an unupgraded hacked autolathe.
If cargo's uncooperative BUILD YOUR OWN AUTOLATHE, grab the board from tech storage and use your magic new departmental protolathe to make the rest of the parts.
You don't need matter cartridges either, just stuff metal and glass sheets into the thing.

Get your shit together before the holes start getting punched in the station.

Not really a speed tip but RECYCLE SHIT. Weld excess floor tiles, rods, and glass shards back into sheets and stuff it all back in your RCD.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #362137

The draught operating mode on an air alarm is great for dealing with the aftermath of a fire. It's much quicker than waiting for the room to cool down naturally but you do need to make sure atmos did the bare minimum of their job so that the air is actually cycling fast enough
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #362139

Anonmare wrote:The draught operating mode on an air alarm is great for dealing with the aftermath of a fire. It's much quicker than waiting for the room to cool down naturally but you do need to make sure atmos did the bare minimum of their job so that the air is actually cycling fast enough
Half the time I use that mode I get people threatening to murder the AI for siphoning.

Again I turn to atmos resin! atmos resin resets the air temperature and content on a tile when it breaks, so it is the fastest way to reset a rooms temperature, however it is labor intensive, as you have to manually break every tile.

Thankfully if you turn your resin launcher to one tile mode, you can use it to instantly break resin without risk of firing a glob! Handy.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #362197

Hide in a locker on the bridge, and then jump out and kill anyone who gets close to the console.
Limey
Byond Username: Limed00d

Post by Limey » #362630

bandaid solutions are surprisingly effective as actually permanent solutions in this g ame
Usually plays as Aya Shameimaru, Remilia Scarlet or Rumia Kuroda depending.
Spoiler:
NSFW:
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #363413

It's rather quick work to actually build the lattices and floor plates. Engineering holoprojector holograms actually should keep things air tight, but the breach shield generators will keep breaches at bay if it's not important for traffic.
If there ever is an air alarm and a small breach, there is a function to dump air three times the normal rate, and carrying a tank there should make it quick to stabilize.

Engiborgs have an advantage when handling breaches, as they always carry every tool you'd need, and they have speedy versions of tools compared to their human counterparts. So personally, as a station engineer, I'd yell for the CE or a borg to do my job as I chug Officer Smashkies at the bar.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #363439

Personally I switch the vents over to internal checks only, 0 pressure, and eyeball it until it's good enough.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #363713

Anonmare wrote:Personally I switch the vents over to internal checks only, 0 pressure, and eyeball it until it's good enough.
The triple refill overfills anyway because the air alarms and vents aren't on the same tile.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #363727

Holy shit the atmos holo projector is probably the single greatest tool in engineering next to an RCD
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #363793

Saegrimr wrote:Holy shit the atmos holo projector is probably the single greatest tool in engineering next to an RCD
Pity you only get 2, cant order more, and they can burn to ash.

they are better than the engineering holobarriers for sure, people dont even care if you are legitimately marking off an area that is exposed to space and is dangerous, people will still break the barrier (instead of walking past them) only to get murdered from the pressure or expose the rest of the station to vacuum.

give those holobarriers to all of engineering I say, or make it produce-ably via RnD
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #363816

Saegrimr wrote:Holy shit the atmos holo projector is probably the single greatest tool in engineering next to an RCD
you can really do some shenanigans with them too, just last night plasma started flooding out of nowhere and before the fire could get to me i went up to a window, placed my 3 barriers around myself to keep the fire out, then deconstructed the window and reconstructed it from the other side to escape unharmed
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #363903

The immediate thing to do is if there is a breach that will take time to repair ensure it doesn't affect the rest of the station. Close off the breach area in the simplest and fastest fashion you can think of, even if it means walls it off from the rest of the station temporarily while you continue repairs.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #363935

When I'm an AI, my solution to a breach is to seal it off, bolt the airlocks and shut the fire locks leading to it and I set the airlock timers to accelerated for when atmos shows up (>Implying)

If there isn't a breach or it's freshly sealed: I close off external access to the areas, bolt open the internal doors of the affected areas and either set the air alarms to refill or manually override them to ignore pressure checks and eyeball the alarms until they're over 100 KPa.
I then let it settle and if the pressure is too high, I syphon in small amounts and bursts until the pressure is habitable for people. Then I unbolt external access and shut the internal doors and call it a day.

I also make sure atmospherics can handle it, I set the O2/N2/air tank consoles and pumps to output at max pressure and, if the pump hasn't been changed, the distro pump to 1500 KPa or max if it's really egregious.