Why would I wanna work here?
► Show Spoiler
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: ITT: We pretend ss13 is realistic

Post by Steelpoint » #456059

Why you would want to work for Nanotrasen is really a lot up to your own interpretation of the "lore" and akin.

For you, working for NT may well be the only line of employment you can hope to find. What little lore we have implies that space travel is harder nowadays due to the "void wars" so working for NT might be seen as a chance to do something better with your life, especially if you were born on some shit hole planet, far away from the centre of Human space or anything closely resembling a Government or Corporate Entity.

Perhaps your a highly trained professional in your line of work and working for NT is just a natural choice, their access to advance technology and other highly valued items, such as Plasma, offers you the exciting potential to be on the forefront of Human technological advancement, or simply the opportunity to enhance your career.

Maybe your a contractor or private operator. NT Security is hiring and they offer good money for you to guard a bunch of eggheads and keep some greyshirts in line. Or some research station is short staffed with Engineers so corporate hires you to fill the gap and ensure their power is flowing and air is breathable.

Perhaps your a sleeper syndicate agent, tasked with infiltrating the corporation and getting a valuable placement. The day the events of SS13 occur may not have yet been your time to 'activate' and begin your mission if you didn't get a traitor pick that round.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #456060

deep lore: literally everyone on the station is actually a syndicate infiltrator, it's just that most of them haven't been activated that day and are trying to maintain their cover, and the syndicate's various cells and subdepartments are too uncoordinated to realise that they've all independently infiltrated the same place
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #456061

Screemonster wrote:deep lore: literally everyone on the station is actually a syndicate infiltrator, it's just that most of them haven't been activated that day and are trying to maintain their cover, and the syndicate's various cells and subdepartments are too uncoordinated to realise that they've all independently infiltrated the same place
► Show Spoiler
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #456063

Shadowflame909 wrote:Why would I wanna work here?
There is nowhere else to work.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456064

leibniz wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:Why would I wanna work here?
There is nowhere else to work.
The syndicate gives you lightsabers.

Also Future Nanotransen
► Show Spoiler
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #456066

My headcanon has always been NT is so big and extends so far that there's essentially no other option for most people, it's a dystopian nation-like corporation that engulf anything it can reach through legal or illegal means.

Imagine a future where every single product you can buy locally is sold by the same company, now imagine most available jobs are at that company and the only way you can make ends meet is employee discounts. It's technically not forced slavery but the results are pretty close.

Lack of safety measures and the use of cheap and often outdated technology (compared to the syndicate using top of the line equipment) is due to the fact that manpower is cheap and easier to replace than advanced equipment.
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456069

This thread is taking more of a ss13 lore subdirection then I wanted it to take. So let me make another post

>Space walk to avoid sec.
>Have my lungs explode because I don't have a space suit
► Show Spoiler
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #456076

>day one
>powergamers die from O2 poisoning

>day two
>incompetent engineers and scientists released 2 zillion blackholes by this point that merged and created the largest blackhole to ever exist, collapsing 70% of all mass in the universe into a single point

>day three
>uprising #12556 ends as revhead outrunning projectiles accidentally crashes into a wall liquifying their organs

>day four
>famine kills most of remaining humanity after people needing to eat every 2 minutes uses up all food supply in the universe

>day five
>nuke ops team goes on victory streak after they realize it's more efficient to accelerate rods at stations instead of putting all that effort into getting the disk

>day six
>Space OSHA shuts down all one billion stations that remained
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #456124

SS13, lorewise, is the state of the art space station. It's classified and a controlled location, hence why security is often encouraged to use lethal force on trespassers and intruders (aka antags), so just being selected to work on the station alone is a privilege. Least, thats what they tell all the brain damaged baldies who were really just hired to be spare test subjects and fill out the crew roster.

My own personal headcanon is that the station itself is just part of a series of social experiments to see 'normal' humans might react to unusual and stressful situations, not unlike Vault-Tec and their Vaults in Fallout. Doubling as a loyalty testing grounds, crew that prove loyal to the company and are productive get promoted to better work places, while everyone else is just brainwashed or drugged into an amnesiac state and ran through the scenario repeatedly till they succumb to testing and start drinking the NT koolaid or die in an 'accident.'
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456129

Davidchan wrote:SS13, lorewise, is the state of the art space station. It's classified and a controlled location, hence why security is often encouraged to use lethal force on trespassers and intruders (aka antags), so just being selected to work on the station alone is a privilege. Least, thats what they tell all the brain damaged baldies who were really just hired to be spare test subjects and fill out the crew roster.

My own personal headcanon is that the station itself is just part of a series of social experiments to see 'normal' humans might react to unusual and stressful situations, not unlike Vault-Tec and their Vaults in Fallout. Doubling as a loyalty testing grounds, crew that prove loyal to the company and are productive get promoted to better work places, while everyone else is just brainwashed or drugged into an amnesiac state and ran through the scenario repeatedly till they succumb to testing and start drinking the NT koolaid or die in an 'accident.'
Similar to this one. My own personal headcanon is that Centcom just has backups of everyone's cloning data and runs through a sort of RNG to see which "clones" get sent to which station.

The syndicate also has this exact same cloning data and may send a clone in before Centcom does. Thus not allowing them to clone them first. Y'know the whole one soul thing.

At the sight of Centcom, it triggers a sort of amnesiac remembrance effect. Where the crew quickly regains everytime they died, due to eldritch abominations, traitorous crewmembers, and evil clowns who put lube in airlocks. Thus sending them into a murderous frenzy where they kill themselves and each other because they don't want to deal with it anymore.

A repeating loop of RNG tests.
► Show Spoiler
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #456333

i hate it when a dark-grey grayylien just goes through the wall and then clowns try to murder everyone.
Spoiler:
19:09
[youtube]izRLcSJDAsA[/youtube]
19:09
on a less snowflakey note, i also hate it when i have to fireman carry a real fucking alien.
Spoiler:
i also hate it when someone murders all the space fish.
Spoiler:
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #456508

I dunno, I think the shuttles are just buses, and there's an departures shuttle we never see since we're always in the shifts where "something happens".

People commute in, pull their shift, and take the shuttle home to their Nanotrasen-provided high density space apartments. Kinda like Rapture in space, but far less colorful, less fantastical, and more utilitarian. Maybe some of the spessmen have families, or pets at home. Maybe some of them are too poor or in some kind of company indenture, so they have to sleep in the dorms at the station. I don't think people are cloned EVERY SINGLE SHIFT.

The story of ss13 is about the high points of crazy action where everything goes to hell, sure, but action isn't interesting without plot. I'd lean towards a story that's about being lost in the cold, vast expanse of space and being lost in an equally vacuous and far-stretching post-earth corporate system that consumes your life. Really, I'd imagine most of the time, the world of ss13 would play out like a George Tooker painting.
Spoiler:
Tooker3.jpg
tooker2.jpg
Tooker1.jpg

Everyone waiting in line for something, tangled up in bureaucracy, everyone doing their jobs, too superficially contempt and fearful of their peer/superior's reactions to try living outside the corporate structure, but never every happy. I imagine some of the traitors are just people who have finally snapped. The whole cloning thing can really be held over your head - your superior threatening to wipe your cloning record and fire you, returning you to mortal flesh and bone. Maybe you notice your co-worker is gone, and you don't know where they are, if they're dead, or just transferred to another workplace, or if they defected.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #456540

SaveVatznick wrote:I dunno, I think the shuttles are just buses, and there's an departures shuttle we never see since we're always in the shifts where "something happens".

People commute in, pull their shift, and take the shuttle home to their Nanotrasen-provided high density space apartments. Kinda like Rapture in space, but far less colorful, less fantastical, and more utilitarian. Maybe some of the spessmen have families, or pets at home. Maybe some of them are too poor or in some kind of company indenture, so they have to sleep in the dorms at the station. I don't think people are cloned EVERY SINGLE SHIFT.

The story of ss13 is about the high points of crazy action where everything goes to hell, sure, but action isn't interesting without plot. I'd lean towards a story that's about being lost in the cold, vast expanse of space and being lost in an equally vacuous and far-stretching post-earth corporate system that consumes your life. Really, I'd imagine most of the time, the world of ss13 would play out like a George Tooker painting.
Spoiler:
Tooker3.jpg
tooker2.jpg
Tooker1.jpg

Everyone waiting in line for something, tangled up in bureaucracy, everyone doing their jobs, too superficially contempt and fearful of their peer/superior's reactions to try living outside the corporate structure, but never every happy. I imagine some of the traitors are just people who have finally snapped. The whole cloning thing can really be held over your head - your superior threatening to wipe your cloning record and fire you, returning you to mortal flesh and bone. Maybe you notice your co-worker is gone, and you don't know where they are, if they're dead, or just transferred to another workplace, or if they defected.
Back when terry was much lower pop and was having long round time issues with the antags not wanting to do anything to risk sitting out three hours I would send the shuttle as a shift change shuttle.

So yes, that has happened in our rounds. Congratulations you have completed the station goals, no one is dead, everyone has gear, and the mini event I made up is complete. Job well done bonuses for everyone. Please depart the station so our bluespace technology can reset everything to default..those random blood stations and junk in maint are from people that didn't leave in time.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #457007

never, ever, ever, look up
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #457052

oranges wrote:never, ever, ever, look up
i heard that if you do this, you get retroactively erased from history, like you never existed in the first place.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #457054

PKPenguin321 wrote:
i heard that if you do this, you get retroactively erased from history, like you never existed in the first place.
Did Future Nanotransen harness this technology?
► Show Spoiler
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #457057

PKPenguin321 wrote:
They look yp to see the face of god, and are destroyed
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #457378

Everyone is a syndicate sleeper agent and the station is just a simulation run by the syndicate to determine the best ways to assault/steal from/assassinate someone on the station. Traitors who successfully hijack the shuttle get pulled out of the simulation as a reward
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #457702

Qbmax32 wrote:Everyone is a syndicate sleeper agent and the station is just a simulation run by the syndicate to determine the best ways to assault/steal from/assassinate someone on the station. Traitors who successfully hijack the shuttle get pulled out of the simulation as a reward
i bet there's a way to justify a tc trade for 'winning hijack instantly lmao'

i suppose that's one way to accomplish a mission in a non-simulation.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #457768

Their cloning technology lets you accumulate money and experience without physical aging
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #458165

cloning technology lets you be 27 forever.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #458270

Eternal youth and you choose to be past your prime? The hell is wrong with you?
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.